Looking for info on this intake SBC 377 Vortec Mercruiser tunnel ram

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Ron Miller
Pro
Pro
Looking for info on this intake SBC 377 Vortec Mercruiser tunnel ram

Post by Ron Miller »

Looking for info on this intake SBC 377 Vortec Mercruiser tunnel ram. Anybody out their use one of these intakes? I'm looking for one cheap. Gonna try one on a low budget 400 build. This is a two-piece intake. The picture below is just the bottom. I would like to buy just the bottom if possible.

Thanks for looking and any info you can provide, =D>
Ron Miller
dannobee
Expert
Expert
Re: Looking for info on this intake SBC 377 Vortec Mercruiser tunnel ram

Post by dannobee »

It's for the inboard ski boats. The MerCruiser Black Scorpion MX 6.2L MPI. Lower intake is part number 807352A12. Short of finding one on ebay, call Edelbrock and see if they have any more lying around. MerCruiser, afaik, quit that project years ago. Dunno if any of that helps or not.
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

The intake looks to be available online new for anywhere between $1400 & $1800. I think I even saw them on Amazon.

https://www.marineengine.com/parts/merc ... -fuel-rail

Edit: Yes, even on Amazon

JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

Ron Miller wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:16 pm Looking for info on this intake SBC 377 Vortec Mercruiser tunnel ram. Anybody out their use one of these intakes? I'm looking for one cheap. Gonna try one on a low budget 400 build. This is a two-piece intake. The picture below is just the bottom. I would like to buy just the bottom if possible.

Thanks for looking and any info you can provide, =D>
Seen them quite a bi up here. They are like the intake on the 454/502 MPI engines by design just for a sm. blk.
They never seemed to give issues other then the injectors failing from time to time.
The cost from Mercruiser is out of this world but I am sure you can find an automotive equivelent without the bronze inserts cast in the water jacket areas. They were made by Edelbrock for Mercrusier so that may be an option.
The genuine marine intakes seem to go for about$1000+ up here when they come up.

Happy hunting :D
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
Ron Miller
Pro
Pro

Post by Ron Miller »

Guys, Thanks for the replies. About 10 months ago I had a chance to buy 2 intakes, just the bottoms, for $250. The seller had no clue what they were and the pictures he had posted were poor. I wish I would have bought them. The search is still on. \:D/ My planes for the intake will be carbs and making a top for two carbs.

Thanks Again,
Ron Miller
Joe-71
Pro
Pro

Post by Joe-71 »

I flow tested one of those about 4 years ago, and it flowed in the 430cfm range, with a couple of the ports needing a radius on the ends where the cover fits close to the port. Otherwise it is easy to work on. We actually dyno tested it after balancing all the runners to ~450cfm, and decided to epoxy them to lower the flow, and increase the velocity. Lots of work, but did help with torque and hp. Joe-JDC
Joe-71
Ron Miller
Pro
Pro

Post by Ron Miller »

Joe-71 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:53 pm I flow tested one of those about 4 years ago, and it flowed in the 430cfm range, with a couple of the ports needing a radius on the ends where the cover fits close to the port. Otherwise it is easy to work on. We actually dyno tested it after balancing all the runners to ~450cfm, and decided to epoxy them to lower the flow, and increase the velocity. Lots of work, but did help with torque and hp. Joe-JDC
Joe-71,
Thanks for the reply and info. What was the cubic-inch, and what heads were used? What was the before and after porting-work numbers? Do you have any picture examples? I'm looking for an intake cheap?

Thanks Again, =D>
Ron Miller
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

There is also a earlier pre 1996 pre vortec head version of this mercruiser intake. It fits the 083-217 350 heads (TPI)

These Merc Marine intakes rarely go cheap
A better cheap path to a tunnel ram for vortec heads for carbs might be the SpeedMaster79 Vortec EFI intake (lower).
It is a Holley/Weiand Stealth Ram clone.
The sbc weiand hi ram 2x4; carb plenum top fits it..

Another path where big big airflow big horsepower power and high rpm is planned (racing engine) is to modify/adapt a Edelbrock Victor Ram ....Pro Ram tunnel ram to fit and match the raised runner vortec/fastburn intake ports and bolt pattern.

Edelbrock should make a vortec/Etec /Fastburn head port version of the eddy Street Tunnel Ram. Tr1yx.
Ron Miller
Pro
Pro

Post by Ron Miller »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:39 am There is also a earlier pre 1996 pre vortec head version of this mercruiser intake. It fits the 083-217 350 heads (TPI)

These Merc Marine intakes rarely go cheap
A better cheap path to a tunnel ram for vortec heads for carbs might be the SpeedMaster79 Vortec EFI intake (lower).
It is a Holley/Weiand Stealth Ram clone.
The sbc weiand hi ram 2x4; carb plenum top fits it..

Another path where big big airflow big horsepower power and high rpm is planned (racing engine) is to modify/adapt a Edelbrock Victor Ram ....Pro Ram tunnel ram to fit and match the raised runner vortec/fastburn intake ports and bolt pattern.

Edelbrock should make a vortec/Etec /Fastburn head port version of the eddy Street Tunnel Ram. Tr1yx.
F-BIRD"88",
Thanks for the reply and info. I looked at the SM EFI intake. I would like to find one of those Merc T/R first. If I don't have any luck finding one, that SM could be an option.

Thanks Again, =D>
Ron Miller
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

124 dollars buy it now price

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133363902315

Ron Miller wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:50 pm Guys, Thanks for the replies. About 10 months ago I had a chance to buy 2 intakes, just the bottoms, for $250. The seller had no clue what they were and the pictures he had posted were poor. I wish I would have bought them. The search is still on. \:D/ My planes for the intake will be carbs and making a top for two carbs.

Thanks Again,
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

Looks like a Holley high ram top could be made to fit with minimal effort, already has injector bungs cast into it, if it wasnt vortec bolt pattern I'd buy it just to have it. Imagine a tpi but with less runner length, 400 cubic inches and around 10 to 1 compression in a truck where hood clearance isn't as much a problem. Not sure what the runner length is, but it visibly has enough room to port to a 1205-1206, and with around a 200-210afr head would make for a killer street engine.
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

Thanks Bill Chase
Had a hankerin' for the merc bottom but always way too much!
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

124 bucks it wont last long.. snatch it up
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

Bill Chase wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:25 pm 124 bucks it wont last long.. snatch it up
When I did, fleabay said the one I got was THE last one.
Now, seller has updated page to show ANOTHER "LAST ONE."
Kinda slippery if ya ask me.
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

If I was not out of work now I would grab that for an upcoming build for my street cruiser. Good to see them still around in hopes of finding them for that price once all this craziness settles down.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins