Rod strength

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ptuomov
Guru
Guru
Re: Rod strength

Post by ptuomov »

Is the problem (or the perceived problem) of fragility about powder metal vs. conventional forging? Or is it about designing the material to make the end cap crackable? There are conventionally forged cracked rods, but they also have to be heat treated etc. to be crackable.

I have ancient non-cracked powder metal "PPF" rods and you could use them as a hammer, I don't think they would crack.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

people just find it very strange.
I did too when I first encountered the stuff, but that was 25 years ago.
Once you get used to it.....it's pretty cool stuff.
$ for $ better than forged mild steel,
and.....Whenever joe blow is talking about rods, it's always the subject anyway. About how he can get NEW ones from summit and it's better deal than...whatever. If they want most bang for the buck as priority #1, this is what they SHOULD want.
Because of the process being so well controlled, each one comes out identical and nearly perfectly balanced.
One "downside" is the material is only 90% as dense as true steel, but, is that even a problem? Not really. If anything that's an advantage when under compression. I doubt the figure of 1500lb is correct, tho.
Either that's prior to some mechanical advantage of the machine, and/or they are partly bending them to crack them, in which case there should be torque component.
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

Back when I was working at a Chevy dealership and racing circle track late models, we'd build "claimer" engines for the lower division guys. When the PM rods came out and ample core engines were available, we figured what better place to check their durability. I never saw one fail. Period. Never ran them in the upper division cars, but they worked great for claimers.
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

mag2555 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:50 am If it only takes 1500 psi to crack these Rods in there thickest section, then how strong can these production Rods be?
Its a 'pre-scored line'. They didn't just crack a solid chunk of metal, with 1500 psi in a targeted manner. There was already a failure point built into the rod so it would crack there. I also doubt they just cranked up the pressure and it cracked. They likely used some sort of force connected to that 1500 psi, one would think.

That's a whole lot different that sticking a rod into a pressure chamber with 1500 psi and having it crack somewhere.

You can't make any determination of how strong a rod is from that.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

I fully understand the procedure used to split it even before I posted this, I was just very surprised that cracking at the same time 2 of the most meaty sections of the rod took only 1500 lbs of applied force!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

mag2555 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:43 am I fully understand the procedure used to split it even before I posted this, I was just very surprised that cracking at the same time 2 of the most meaty sections of the rod took only 1500 lbs of applied force!
Here's a question: Do they press it with 1500 lbf force or do they have a rig that drops a 1500 lbs weight on it from some height? I vaguely remember that when one of the Japanese motorcycle manufacturers developed a conventionally forged crackable rod. I think they were dropping the weight on the rod to crack it.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
Put Search Keywords Here
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

mag2555 wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:43 am I fully understand the procedure used to split it even before I posted this, I was just very surprised that cracking at the same time 2 of the most meaty sections of the rod took only 1500 lbs of applied force!
Sorry! :oops: For me, that wasn't clear in the original post.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

in my experience, and i may be wrong, but in general powdered metal, or MIM etc, are all very strong in the direction they were designed to take force, but when force is applied in a different direction the stuff is fairly brittle.
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

We’re working on these super light, non fragile new custom con rods. Bearings that fit these may be a little short:
A8A345B0-10CC-4443-B77A-9F6220C5B2DA.jpeg
The pistons should not score alusil, nikasil, or cast iron! Pin weighs more than piston and rod combined...

;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Put Search Keywords Here
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

If force is applied to a conrod in a direction other than what it's designed for something else has already gone horribly wrong.

The PM rods seem to bend/buckle when overloaded, not shatter. I don't know that I have ever seen one broken that wasn't killed as a result of some other component failure. I have seen a lot of them bent and twisted up like pretzels, as in my picture at the bottom of page 1.
DON'T PANIC
bobalattie

Post by bobalattie »

5.2 mustang gt350 voodoo engine. Had bearing failure then the bolt let go..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

lefty o wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:10 am in my experience, and i may be wrong, but in general powdered metal, or MIM etc, are all very strong in the direction they were designed to take force, but when force is applied in a different direction the stuff is fairly brittle.
The cap gets cracked off on the direction the rod is loaded in the engine
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

digger wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:30 pm
lefty o wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:10 am in my experience, and i may be wrong, but in general powdered metal, or MIM etc, are all very strong in the direction they were designed to take force, but when force is applied in a different direction the stuff is fairly brittle.
after a stress riser is put in them.
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

lefty o wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:07 pm
digger wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:30 pm
after a stress riser is put in them.
i guess where i'm going is a small score is not going to cause it to break at 1500 lbf in the axial direction, its not as brittle glass in the axial direction otherwise it would work in an engine as a small nick would cause immediate fracture. the definition of the load /pressure whatever they mean is flawed
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

A single 1/4-28 bolt can hold 1500 pounds tension, and it has lots of score marks since it's threaded.

The figure of 1500lb is is wrong.
It would have to be several times that to even be believable.
just as a very rough guess, this powered metal is at least 80% as strong in tension as mild steel, and the average rod's section is at least 4x the section of a 1/4 bolt, so about the lowest I would possibly believe would be 4800lb, and it's probably a lot higher than that.
Last edited by modok on Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.