Welded stroker cranks.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

SKeown
Expert
Expert

Re: Welded stroker cranks.

Post by SKeown »

amc fan wrote:I did not know you were running E M ! Good luck to you! It would be nice to see AMC represented. Parts for AMC's are really dwindling. Good cranks and blocks are getting hard to find !
It's just in the being considered stage. The rules don't fit AMC at all. particularly the bore diameter rule. Having to sleeve an entire block is kind of nuts.

SKeown
amc fan
Expert
Expert

Post by amc fan »

What size engine you trying to build? what size bore do they allow? AMC engines came in 3.75 , 4.08 , 4.165 inch bores! will they let you sleeve if they are looking for 3.875? I do not know the rules for EM .
stokerboats
Pro
Pro

Post by stokerboats »

FWIW, I just spoke with Joe Castillo and they are alive and well in the same location but are typically gone by 2pm PST.
They start early and leave early soas to make their deliveries. Yes they do all types of crankshaft repairs and have an outstanding reputation.
They are at;
14654 1/2 Firestone Blvd
La Mirada Ca, 90638
714 523 0321
blwilliams
Pro
Pro

Post by blwilliams »

SKeown wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:22 am
Walter R. Malik wrote:
SKeown wrote:Who would you recommend to perform a welded stroker crank for a forged AMC crank?

SKeown
You can not paint all weldded stroker cranks with the same wide brush ... some people actually know what they are doing and some people just think they do.

Adney Brown at "Performance Crankshaft, Inc." in Michigan.
That's why I'm seeking advice, I'm old time going back to Reath Automotive in Long Beach CA.

SKeown
If your familiar with Reath automotive you should know the name Henry Velasco. He was still in business last year give him a call.
12422 Benedict Ave
Downey, California 90242
Phone (562) 862-3110
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Velasco- ... 1611059341
Paul Kane

Post by Paul Kane »

SKeown wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:22 am'm old time going back to Reath Automotive in Long Beach CA.

SKeown
Then go to Joe Castillo in La Miranda. Castillo’s Crankshaft Service. Joes been doing this for decades, started somewhere else like LA Crank or under Henry Velasco back on the early 1980’s (not sure exactly where) and has had his own crankshaft business for all the decades since. Yes he understands welding and offset grinding, and more importantly the subsequent processes necessary after the crank has been welded and resized (such as stress relieving etc). Crankshaft work is literally all his shop does.

He’s done offset stroking for me, snout resizing and re-keying, flange reshaping, welding and offset stroking, even fitting a new chromoly snout (made from raw barstock) to a factory racing crank that I had acquired with its snout broken clean off at the #1 main.

The property upon which his shop is located was indeed annexed by the state for the widening of Hwy 5, but fortunately his building was set back far enough on the property that his business was not forced to relocate—he is still here. Walking through his shop you will feel like a giant in an endless “forest” of cranks all standing on end, thousands of them.

One last thing: Castillo’s business hours are 4:30am-1:30 pm, and so he will not accept phone calls after 1 pm. Therefore, call early, like 8 am-11-am PST. And tell him Paul Kane sent you.

Joe Castillo
Castillo’s Crankshaft Service
14654 Firestone Blvd
La Miranda, CA 90638
714-523-0321

PS: Due to high demand, Castillo’s handles a great deal of production work for the greater SoCal area, and so when you bring him your highly specialized job be sure to speak to Joe personally and let him know your project timeline and also the date by which you need to crank work completed.

PPS: good grief I just saw how old this thread is, haha....
We're On The Web; Click Below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

Paul Kane wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:38 pm PPS: good grief I just saw how old this thread is, haha....
Still great info to know. Glad you shared it.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins