Weld Draglite/Prostar

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

turbo camino
Expert
Expert
Weld Draglite/Prostar

Post by turbo camino »

Man, I know it's been a long time since I bought wheels for anything, but holy hell. These things were always the default, affordable go-fast wheels at around $100 each. Now they're more than double at $225-$250. What happened?!
DON'T PANIC
tenxal
Expert
Expert
Re: Weld Draglite/Prostar

Post by tenxal »

turbo camino wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:39 amMan, I know it's been a long time since I bought wheels for anything, but holy hell. These things were always the default, affordable go-fast wheels at around $100 each. Now they're more than double at $225-$250. What happened?!
Those days are long gone...... :(
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

If you mean the days of ordinary people buying Weld wheels are over, then I guess you're right.
DON'T PANIC
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

everything has gotten more expensive.
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

None of the other wheels that have been available over the same time period have doubled in price. $100 wheels can still be had for around $100 as long as they aren't made by Weld. Steel rally wheels and D-hole dirt wheels are still $50-60 each. So, that's what made me mention it at all. Something odd going on with them. A thousand dollars for a set of 15x8 Draglites is just flat-out stupid.
DON'T PANIC
Kenova
Expert
Expert

Post by Kenova »

turbo camino wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:31 pm A thousand dollars for a set of 15x8 Draglites is just flat-out stupid.
That's chump change. Price out a set of Forgelines. :shock:

Ken
Over the hill but still learning!
Retaining it is the hard part.
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

turbo camino wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:49 amIf you mean the days of ordinary people buying Weld wheels are over, then I guess you're right.
Take a look at the Race Star wheels. Their 92 series wheels are pretty nice....a pal has a set and I was impressed with them. If you have an NHRA or IHRA permanent number, Jegs and Summit offer additional discounts.
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

Kenova wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:53 pm
turbo camino wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:31 pm A thousand dollars for a set of 15x8 Draglites is just flat-out stupid.
That's chump change. Price out a set of Forgelines. :shock:

Ken
There's always been wheels that cost stupid amounts of money, marketed to people who won the inheritance lottery or whatever. Expensive wheels are still expensive.

Weld Alumastars were always more money, $250 for a plain non-beadlock wheel back in the day when the comparable Draglite/Prostar was $100 - that same Alumastar today is $500. One single manufacturer deciding to double the price of everything they make is what seems odd.
DON'T PANIC
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

turbo camino wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:36 am One single manufacturer deciding to double the price of everything they make is what seems odd.
It's not just Weld....all race wheels have increased in price. Weld held the line on pricing for many years.

What sizes/back spacing/bolt circle are you looking for?
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

Just basic 5x4.75, 15x6 ~3" BS, 15x8 3.5-4" BS. I did find Torq-Thrust IIs in those sizes for ~$100 each.
DON'T PANIC
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

when i was 18 i started work as a welder for $8.50 per hour. That was 24 years ago. When i quit welding i was getting paid by the job but i averaged $40 - $50 per hour. The only way those wheels can stay cheap is if Weld gets them made in China. If people want that, then they will probably do it.
Brian
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

And my income has gone down slightly over that same period of time. But, congrats on your success.
DON'T PANIC
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

I wasn't trying to brag about my success. I'm guessing you are much older than me and hopefully your income went up from when you were 18 until you were 42. I don't like paying big money for race car parts either. Canadians know what its like to pay through the nose for race car parts. Europe and Australians have it even worse. If you live in mainland USA you got it good. Many shops even give you free shipping.
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

turbo camino wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:48 pmI did find Torq-Thrust IIs in those sizes for ~$100 each.
I thought you were looking for something light weight? If not, there's tons of wheels out there that will work in that price range....Jegs cast knock off versions of the Welds, for example.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

From my prior thread!

Who will widen aluminum wheels?? Like cut the wider back space off and weld it on the front face and visa versa..

pdq67