Rockers too high on the studs?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

travis
Guru
Guru
Rockers too high on the studs?

Post by travis »

I’m measuring for pushrod length and something seems off here. It doesn’t seem to matter what length I set my adjustable pushrod measuring tool at...each time the tip pattern is nice and tight even if it isn’t in the center. I ended up getting a nice tight sweep pattern in the center of the tip with my comp 7703 tester set at 8.000”, which seems too long for this combo. I’m using light test springs and am just taking out the lash, being careful not to compress the lifter plunger or move the valve while the cam is on the base circle. Set at 8.000”, it seems that the rockers end up too high on the stud. What am I doing wrong here?

351w decked to 9.480”, Promaxx 9175 heads, Jones small hydraulic roller, PBM 1.6 rockers, Howard’s good link bar lifters (not the cheap ones).

58461412-BDB7-40F6-9E40-F9DD9ADE9E8C.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Re: Rockers too high on the studs?

Post by Walter R. Malik »

travis wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:39 am I’m measuring for pushrod length and something seems off here. It doesn’t seem to matter what length I set my adjustable pushrod measuring tool at...each time the tip pattern is nice and tight even if it isn’t in the center. I ended up getting a nice tight sweep pattern in the center of the tip with my comp 7703 tester set at 8.000”, which seems too long for this combo. I’m using light test springs and am just taking out the lash, being careful not to compress the lifter plunger or move the valve while the cam is on the base circle. Set at 8.000”, it seems that the rockers end up too high on the stud. What am I doing wrong here?

351w decked to 9.480”, Promaxx 9175 heads, Jones small hydraulic roller, PBM 1.6 rockers, Howard’s good link bar lifters (not the cheap ones).

Tip wipe pattern width is not the "be all, end all" requirement for acceptable valve train geometry; especially with a rolling tip rocker arm.
To me, getting the pushrod tip to be near correct is much more important. Usually finding the best compromise is necessary.

Your photo looks like a shorter SBC rocker arm on a SBF head as many companies box them as if they are the same; simply number them different.
A small block Ford rocker is about the same dimensions as a Pontiac, though.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:50 am
Your photo looks like a shorter SBC rocker arm on a SBF head as many companies box them as if they are the same; simply number them different.
A small block Ford rocker is about the same dimensions as a Pontiac, though.
Hmmm...that is possible I guess. These rockers came on a set of D0OE’s I bought years ago...and they had sbc valves and springs in them.
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

Longer than stock valves? Does the pushrod hit the rocker body at max lift?
BlitzA64
Expert
Expert

Post by BlitzA64 »

Straub Technologies youtube video "Push rod geometry for engines" is the way I have done it for 8,000 rpm+ engines with no valvetrain issues.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

I did the straub video method which was very interesting. I compared the video with my own method which I have used over the years that has worked for me. My own method consisted of what I personally liked for valve sweep. In the end the Straub method in video netted me a .005 shorter pushrod which you can see is very close. I did go with the straub setup.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

travis wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:39 am I’m measuring for pushrod length and something seems off here. It doesn’t seem to matter what length I set my adjustable pushrod measuring tool at...each time the tip pattern is nice and tight even if it isn’t in the center. I ended up getting a nice tight sweep pattern in the center of the tip with my comp 7703 tester set at 8.000”, which seems too long for this combo. I’m using light test springs and am just taking out the lash, being careful not to compress the lifter plunger or move the valve while the cam is on the base circle. Set at 8.000”, it seems that the rockers end up too high on the stud. What am I doing wrong here?

?
Travis it looks like in pic the pushrod rod is to long. Thus the high height. It looks like at full lift your pushrod will be very tight to rocker body?
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:50 am Your photo looks like a shorter SBC rocker arm on a SBF head
X2
DON'T PANIC
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

It even looks like the retainer is touching the rocker.
jed
HotPass
HotPass

Post by jed »

Looking at the picture the pushrods is not in the pushrods ball socket. In the picture the push rod needs to be more out board.
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

That's just what a 1.6:1 SBC rocker looks like, short and stubby. If it were a proper SBF part the pivot to tip distance would be longer, and the pivot to pushrod cup distance would be longer, and the rocker would be much farther down on the stud when the pushrod length was correct.

The reason it looks so jacked up is because those aren't SBF rockers.
DON'T PANIC
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

The roller tips look real big.
Jim
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

I guess the next question for the SBF guys is...... what’s the preferred “correct” length stud mounted budget friendly rocker for that type of application?

Looks like what’s in the pic has a lot of extra weight hanging off the pushrod side.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

The retainers aren’t hitting, and the pushrod IS in the pushrod socket on the rocker. There is another rocker right behind this one, so it kind of creates an optical delusion.

These may very well be 1.6 sbc rockers. I thought I had a set of 1.6 ratio sbc rockers to compare but I can’t seem to find them right now. I’m ordering some new rockers so we’ll see if that solves this problem
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

Two things I really try and stay away from are Chinese rockers and dampers.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.