Calvert split mono leafsprings?

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru
Calvert split mono leafsprings?

Post by Bob Hollinshead »

What's the theory behind the split mono design? is the front half a stiffer spring rate? How do they work?
Pro question poster.
6.50camaro
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Calvert split mono leafsprings?

Post by 6.50camaro »

Not really an expert , but from the research I did they are trying to mimmick the action of a parabolic mono leaf spring , which is tapered having a thicker and stiffer front section to resist wrap -up . There are some advantages to the split spring . One the are easier to make , 2 it is easier the to get the ride height you want by changing the back half of the spring . Different arch or eye position . 3 changing spring rate ,different thickness leaf . 4 is weight of the spring .this I have not really checked. I personally did not buy a set because I already had a set of Landrum parabolic mono leaf springs in the same spring rate that Calvert suggests for my car . Why buy a copy when you have the real thing . These springs (Landrum) have worked great on my car i don't regret not going with the split mono leaf at all. I also use the roller blocks on the rear of the spring but they are from AFCO because Calvert did not have them when I was building my car. Dan
Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

Thanks for the info. I've got a 69 Nova that is going together-very nose heavy with an all iron bigblock, tunnel ram, and a heavy 4L80E transmission. The rear wheelwells won't be modified so tire size is going to be limited too... The car is just too clean to tub right now. It's going to be a challenge getting any traction.
Pro question poster.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Does anybody repop stock mono-leaf springs for Camaros and the NOVA car family?

pdq67
Kingbee

Post by Kingbee »

Not sure but try Eaton Detroit Spring for stock replacement mono leafs.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

I have the so-called, "3-leaf", mono replacements but would really like to go back to OEM mono's on my '67 Camaro.

pdq67
Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

PDQ67, I"ll have some very clean original mono leafs I don't need if they are the same as a nova
Pro question poster.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Bob Hollinshead wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:30 am PDQ67, I"ll have some very clean original mono leafs I don't need if they are the same as a nova
Bob,

Please give me some time to think it over. Thanks.

Oh, I ordered my '67 Camaro car with the heavy-duty spring package on it, but have never been able to verify FOR SURE just what both the coil's and mono's spring rates were??

I want to say 337 for the coil's and 137 for the mono's but don't know for sure??

Can anybody document their factory rates? Please post up if so...

pdq67