Moderator: Team

midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Re: LS3 Carbed build

Post by midnightbluS10 »

steve316 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:40 pm
Would be more enjoyable than listening to you wine :lol:
As Don always said, you don't like it? There's a friend or foe option. You might want to use it. Or just keep complaining like a liberal pansy.(fyi that's not the 5 letter word I originally used).
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

Resized_20191206_215459(1).jpeg
Resized_20191208_173631.jpeg
Resized_20191206_203519.jpeg
Resized_20191208_182606.jpeg
Stock oil pump rotor vs. modified low volume pump rotor...I just about have it all wrapped back up, thinking of dynoing again this month if it works out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

Chad,
just thinking out loud.
can there be a issue with the long pick up on the oil pump.??
not sure if vacuum could hold the oil in suspension (so to speak) in the pick up pump area,
are you thinking stock pump not up to task at the rpm??
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

steve cowan wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:48 pm Chad,
just thinking out loud.
can there be a issue with the long pick up on the oil pump.??
not sure if vacuum could hold the oil in suspension (so to speak) in the pick up pump area,
are you thinking stock pump not up to task at the rpm??
Well, this is kind of new territory for me...been reading, and pestering others about the issue...mostly Rick360. But yeah, the long pickup tube definitely isn't helping, or the high volume factory pump, or the small opening on the factory pickup screen, or the location of the oil pump... All of the things that can be addressed have been. Not much I can do about the tube length or pump location.

I bought the low volume "energy recovery" pump from Schumann sales and service, he claims it "fixes" the very issue I was having..it required a new flange be welded on the pump side of the tube, eliminating the factory oring seal and also replacing the pickup tube screen with a larger box type. I guess I will find out.
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

20191210_203038.jpg
20191210_202539.jpg
20191210_193905.jpg
Dyno ready!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

Chad,
Is this dyno session to see if vacuum /oil pressure issues are solved or have you done some upgrades :D
Looking forward to hear some positive results, best of luck
steve c
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

steve cowan wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:51 pm Chad,
Is this dyno session to see if vacuum /oil pressure issues are solved or have you done some upgrades
Looking forward to hear some positive results, best of luck
Yeah. First thing is to see if I made any progress with the oil pressure situation. I also have a new GZ pump to replace the one that locked up. So I'll see where im at power wise then go from there. If all is good, then I wanna upload my timing curve that I built from 1st session's data. Then I wanna do cam positioning tests on my current cam, then change to new cam and test positions. If any time is left I wanna try a different set of headers(4-1).

Then I'm gonna put a 4 inch crank in it...
zums
Guru
Guru

Post by zums »

Is that monster still running the hydraulic lobes and seat angles, or did you go solid and steeper, i like your testing approach, best of luck
Tom
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

zums wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:26 pm Is that monster still running the hydraulic lobes and seat angles, or did you go solid and steeper, i like your testing approach, best of luck
Tom
Still hydraulic, cam 2 is hydraulic as well. Currently 52° intake 55° exhaust...unchanged from original.
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

Chad,
did you go to dyno on weekend :D
steve c
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

steve cowan wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:07 pm Chad,
did you go to dyno on weekend :D
No Steve ,not yet. It is a very busy time at the dyno shop this time of year, Joe(And I) usually like to get my dyno time set up on a weekend...outside of business hours. That way I have plenty of time to try whatever dumb shit I've come up with since the previous dyno session without the rush. :lol:

But I have planted the seed that I was wanting on soon...So I wouldn't think it'd be too much longer. I'm excited to see it run again, hopefully with some of the little bugs worked out now. Been thinking about trying some oxy fuel in it if there is time left....that's a problem though....tests keep stacking up in my mind :lol: . Hard to get to them all.

Randy has seen a trend when switching engines to Q16. Engines with poor chambers and efficiencies (Standard Big Block Chevy for example) picking up more with the switch. There may be something to learn from trying it on this engine...who knows.
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

is there any whisper of the USA banning lead??
over here leaded race and aviation fuel was banned from July last year,i know pro stock was down 25hp and a couple of them burnt some stuff up when switching to unleaded.
they were given a 50 pound weight break to compensate while they are sorting it out and i believe VP is doing a good job with the transition.
i dont see alot of people using Q16 over here as everyone says it is nasty on parts most use C16 but i thought that was more for boosted apps,methonol is the fuel of choice here because its cheap.
sounds like Joe will never get a break lol you guys will wear him out. :D
i like it when i hear the word ''trends'' as that means more to me than theory and diatribe lol.
i will send some photos when i get my cast iron heads back from my machine shop as i would like Randy and yourself to have a visual :wink:
steve c
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

steve cowan wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:11 pm is there any whisper of the USA banning lead??
Its a process but yes. I believe I read where even more is coming out of the aviation fuel here this year if not all of it...im not sure how that's gonna work. But MTBE and ETBE seem to be on the hit list as well, so what do you replace it with?

The area I'm from, and grew up in was predominantly methanol as I was growing up. It's not nearly as popular as it once was here. I'm sure other parts of the U.S are different. Methanol does seem cheap initially, although I'm not sure the "overall" cost of it really is :lol:. Its got it's place but Its definitely not my first choice...it seems to have a way of rewarding inefficiencies in intake tracts and combustion chambers as well :D

It always cracks me up when I see people saying that methanol "has" to have high compression to work correctly. The most impressive switches from gas to methanol I've seen where on low compression turd engines...especially if the converter was way to tight. Switch a stock 3.5hp or 5hp briggs flathead on a gokart from gas to methanol and tell me you have to high compression. I've done quite a few of those, feels like about double the horsepower when you do....what are those 7:1 compression? :D

Q16 is popular, and worth some power, and is nasty but not nastier on oil and parts than methanol in my opinion. From the smell of Q16, it almost has to be bad for you..so I generally stay away from it. Unless your class racing and its legal to use, I don't see any good reason to mess with it generally. But I have tried it a couple times on the dyno on things.
Rowdy Yates

Post by Rowdy Yates »

Put a solid roller and 4 inch stroke in the damn thing and be done...stop Over thinking!
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

20200127_215439.jpg
New cam on the left. Old cam on the right. Most likely not much change...ill find out.