Any sbc 400 spacer bearings issues?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

DCal
Expert
Expert

Any sbc 400 spacer bearings issues?

Post by DCal »

I'm in a situation where the thicker bearings (400 blk and 350/350 crank) won't get me to the proper main clearances. The thick bearings can be coated .0005 per shell but its still not where I wanted to be and I haven't warmed up to coated main bearings anyway. If I use bearing spacers I can use regular 350 bearings which offer much more versatility. Years ago I built a 377 engine and I saw no issues but sold the car and never got to inspect it. I can force them to grind me another crank but I don't have the time--I don't even buy green bananas anymore! Has anyone had problems with spacers? This will be hi-perf street around 550 hp Thanks
novafornow
Pro
Pro

Re: Any sbc 400 spacer bearings issues?

Post by novafornow »

i ran them years ago and did not have any problems. No recent experience though.
DCal
Expert
Expert

Post by DCal »

DCal wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:36 pm I'm in a situation where the thicker bearings (400 blk and 350/350 crank) won't get me to the proper main clearances. The thick bearings can be coated .0005 per shell but its still not where I wanted to be and I haven't warmed up to coated main bearings anyway. If I use bearing spacers I can use regular 350 bearings which offer much more versatility. Years ago I built a 377 engine and I saw no issues but sold the car and never got to inspect it. I can force them to grind me another crank but I don't have the time--I don't even buy green bananas anymore! Has anyone had problems with spacers? This will be hi-perf street around 550 hp Thanks

Thanks for the reply. Apparently there is no problem with the spacers due to the amount of replies.
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

DCal: I can remember a guy who ran a S.B.C. in 1/4 mile asphalt oval racing back in the 1970's. Late Model class, 1964/5 chevelle, the engine was a 400 block with a 302 (3" crank) and it had main bearing spacers. 322 C.I. screaming son of a gun, won a lot of races, must of had Carrillo rods in it LOL. But no issues with the main bearings and or spacers. With good machining you should be fine. Mark H.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

i ran them in a 377 for 4 years of torture in a street / strip 65 chevy truck. Finally the block cracked but the spacers never failed.
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
houser45
Pro
Pro

Post by houser45 »

What size are the main housing bores? More than likely they are too large and the block needs align honed
DCal
Expert
Expert

Post by DCal »

houser45 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:04 pm What size are the main housing bores? More than likely they are too large and the block needs align honed
I don't have them here but they were in tolerance and so was the line bore, the crank is undersize on the mains but fine on the rods. The block work is being done by a Nascar engine builder friend of mine so I'm confident we'll get it right without coating the bearings.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

prairiehotrodder wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:37 pm i ran them in a 377 for 4 years of torture in a street / strip 65 chevy truck. Finally the block cracked but the spacers never failed.
Same hear on a .040 over 13.1 nitrous engine, I think we had 6 years on it before we broke the front main web out of the block, the only thing usable from the short block was the cam, pistons and the spacers and they got reused.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
leahymtsps
Pro
Pro

Post by leahymtsps »

Morning Dave,
I've installed at least a dozen sets in circle track engines years ago and don't
remember any of them having any issues with the spacers. OTOH can't say the same
about the life of the blocks.

Tom
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

DCal wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:36 pm I'm in a situation where the thicker bearings (400 blk and 350/350 crank) won't get me to the proper main clearances. The thick bearings can be coated .0005 per shell but its still not where I wanted to be and I haven't warmed up to coated main bearings anyway. If I use bearing spacers I can use regular 350 bearings which offer much more versatility. Years ago I built a 377 engine and I saw no issues but sold the car and never got to inspect it. I can force them to grind me another crank but I don't have the time--I don't even buy green bananas anymore! Has anyone had problems with spacers? This will be hi-perf street around 550 hp Thanks
Coatings vary quite a bit...Calico is what you mentioned, others can add 3 times that if you want.