Comp Elite Race lifter spares?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

turbo camino
Expert
Expert
Comp Elite Race lifter spares?

Post by turbo camino »

Solid roller, full set is #98818-16, pairs are #98842C-2. I have a set with one damaged, are there spares floating around out there anywhere?
DON'T PANIC
turbo camino
Expert
Expert
Re: Comp Elite Race lifter spares?

Post by turbo camino »

I think I have the lifter back to 'usable' condition, some work with a flat stone and any high spots around the break are gone. The missing section is above the o-ring and shouldn't cause any issues. I need to make a new pushrod seat but if I can't re-make a part like that I need to tear up my Man Card.

And yes, I know the design is bad. Oil pressure blows the dinky little pushrod seats out if there's ever a valve/pushrod/spring failure and then unnecessary carnage ensues, as happened to this one.
DON'T PANIC
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

The lifter with the damaged seat also has slop in the roller, so unless I can find someone to help these are obsolete junk and will go in the trash. I know they are discontinued but did all the old stock get thrown away? Are there any Comp dealers out there who may have parts still?

Seat height is claimed to be 1.91", is there a compatible current production lifter I can use to complete this set?
DON'T PANIC
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

I think you're wasting your time and money trying to repair and reuse that lifter. It WILL fail at that point, just a question of when. You'll be money ahead if you just bite the bullet now and get a new set. Jesel, BAM, Isky, Crower, Morel, take your pick. New lifters are cheap insurance over a broken engine
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

Coloradoracer wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:16 amI think you're wasting your time and money trying to repair and reuse that lifter. It WILL fail at that point, just a question of when.
Absolutely correct.
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

The wheel is already failed on the lifter with the damaged pushrod seat/chipped body so it can't be used anyway, but the chunk missing from the side wouldn't have affected it in any way. What I can see of the ends of the needles looks fine, so I'm assuming it's wear on the fancy .400" hollow axles Comp so touted back when the lifters were introduced. The other 15 are in great shape.

Is there a way to run a mild street solid roller cam without spending $1000 on lifters?
DON'T PANIC
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

SBC, .842", centered, +.300" tall, 450lb max open pressure.

What about OE hydraulic rollers with the check valves removed, and homemade spacers under the plungers? Allow ~.030" travel, more than the lash amount but enough to keep the roller in contact via oil pressure? I apologize for being so cheap here. I don't have sponsors that can send over a pallet of new parts on demand.
DON'T PANIC
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

Never mind, I am in the wrong place, wrong time, wrong hobby.
DON'T PANIC
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

turbo camino wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:47 pm Never mind, I am in the wrong place, wrong time, wrong hobby.
Just pony up for a new set. Honestly you're wasting your time with those...they were short lived for a reason....
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

turbo camino wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:35 pm The wheel is already failed on the lifter with the damaged pushrod seat/chipped body so it can't be used anyway, but the chunk missing from the side wouldn't have affected it in any way. What I can see of the ends of the needles looks fine, so I'm assuming it's wear on the fancy .400" hollow axles Comp so touted back when the lifters were introduced. The other 15 are in great shape.

Is there a way to run a mild street solid roller cam without spending $1000 on lifters?
Try .https://borowskirace.com/.........about $650 BAM lifters.