1400 hp Big Chevy combinations

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Re: 1400 hp Big Chevy combinations

Post by Alaskaracer »

I'll say it, don't care what anybody thinks. AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN. A 6k budget isn't even remotely close to that, supercharged or not......1400 hp isn't a joke. Especially if you want it to live....Add into that about 500-1000 or more for a day or more on the dyno to get it sorted out too.....

Save your money...wait until you can actually afford it.....
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
Craig J

Post by Craig J »

Coloradoracer wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:18 am I'll say it, don't care what anybody thinks. AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN. A 6k budget isn't even remotely close to that, supercharged or not......1400 hp isn't a joke. Especially if you want it to live....Add into that about 500-1000 or more for a day or more on the dyno to get it sorted out too.....

So you don't have any suggestions on a combination that makes 1400 hp... got it.

Just curious if you have seen this video, or know about this car:
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

I can make suggestions to make 1400 hp, but you need to make a decision....first, $6000 ain't gonna make it happen, and if it does, it's going to be for a VERY short time...

So, do you want it to last? Do you want it repeatable? Reliable? what's your ultimate goal?

Again, ain't gonna happen on $6000.......so pick your poison.....My modest effort made 1510, and it cost a little over that $6000 budget you're talking about....
Mark Goulette
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

The only way you're gonna make that kind of power is either a very serious N/A build, power adder, or some form of supercharging. What you aren't realizing is how much stress is actually placed on those parts at that level....1400 hp ain't no joke, no matter how it's achieve....seeing someone do a low buck high hp build and get away with it for a while isn't commonplace.....Reality is hp costs money, how much you wanna spend?
Mark Goulette
tt 383
Expert
Expert

Post by tt 383 »

Thought the OP had a T427 and S488 he was playing with...
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Craig J wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:10 am
af2 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 10:23 pm And the fact a blower will cost more to get you there.
Not sure if I understand your statement... you mean blowers are not the cheapest way, or the blower alone would cost more than $6K ?

I bought this one for under $1500 and I am sure that on methanol it would get the job done... but I am putting this engine in my ranger and don't really want to cut the hood. Honestly I think the best way to get it done cheap is with turbos using E85 or methanol.

Is that a stock blower off a GMC 6-71 or 8-71 engine?

pdq67
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

Craig J wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:46 am
So you don't have any suggestions on a combination that makes 1400 hp... got it.
Here are some combos

Forged 4340 crank
Good steel or aluminum rods of your liking
Oiling system up for the task
Good solid blower heads
Good aftermarket block of your choice (iron or aluminum)
Single idler gear drive.
Forged blower pistons,pins and rings
Blower cam and valve train from the supplier of your liking
Blower and all needed accessories
Fuel injector and all needed accessories for methanol
Magneto capable of firing the charge
Tuned this should get you to your goal (if you can source these parts for under your budget then great)

4.75” stroke forged crank
Aftermarket tall deck big bore block 4.6” bore
Steel or aluminum rods of your choice
Forged nitrous pistons, pins and rings
18* or 14* heads set up for nitrous
Camshaft and all necessary valve train
Oiling system up for the job
Tunnel ram with three stages of nitrous plumbed
Carbs or fuel injection
Ignition system capable of firing it
Tuned this will get you to your goal (now it is up to you to acquire the parts to meet your budget)

There are tons of combinations out there. The responsibility falls on your shoulders to pick the best one for you and then it is your responsibility to find a way to do it within your budget. If you can’t then it is not the fault of anyone else. We as racers have to decide if racing at our desired level can be done within our means. Usually if it can’t then the racing career is very short lived.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
Craig J

Post by Craig J »

Is that a stock blower off a GMC 6-71 or 8-71 engine?

pdq67

14-71

I think it was originally used in top alcohol in the late 80's

I had it on a 496 chevy in my old high school car. 700 whp on 87 octane with a few $100 carbs... :lol:

Craig J

Post by Craig J »

tt 383 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:37 pm Thought the OP had a T427 and S488 he was playing with...
The hemi made 698 last friday... the bet was double for a quarter... so I need 1400 for $6K

I have three EFI 9.8 deck intake setups to choose from: L29, Accel SuperRam, and AS&M... the first two are dirt cheap, the last one, not so much.

I found a Gen 6 454 block in Chicago that has already been bored +.030 and line honed for less than the price of the machine work... I am trying to decide if that is a cheaper route that the tall deck.

I have been advised that the single S488 may not make the number, and twin 75's are probably the cheapest route.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Craig J wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:46 am
Coloradoracer wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:18 am I'll say it, don't care what anybody thinks. AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN. A 6k budget isn't even remotely close to that, supercharged or not......1400 hp isn't a joke. Especially if you want it to live....Add into that about 500-1000 or more for a day or more on the dyno to get it sorted out too.....

Just curious if you have seen this video, or know about this car:
You don't need 1400 hp to run eights you need the correct car combo, the 1st car in this vid (ChevyII) is a 650 hp SBC with a 175 shot of nitrous, note the 1/8 mile times on the video you posted. The CheyII with a 300 shot would run 5.30's and that was 11 years ago.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

How about twin turbos on this sort of BBC: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=49123
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru

Post by rustbucket79 »

Maybe you can clarify for us the application and intended use.

I watched a fellow racer wad up his 1968 Camaro last season at about 160 mph at the strip, too much power and not enough car, thankfully a 10 pt cage allowed him to walk away.

With great power comes great responsibility. =D>
Craig J

Post by Craig J »

rustbucket79 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:44 pm Maybe you can clarify for us the application and intended use.
The application is to make twice as much power as this hemi and spend a quarter of the money...

Craig J

Post by Craig J »

...You don't need 1400 hp to run eights you need the correct car combo...

I am sorry Gary, I intended use this example of how a stock GM 6.0 block, cast crank, powdered rods & cast pistons can push a 4000+ lb police car to 154 mph in the 1/4 with a conventional automatic transmission and torque converter...and not just one glory pass.

This probably requires ???? 1000 hp???

I find it a bit sad that many on this forum immediately say my goal is impossible.
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru

Post by rustbucket79 »

Then perhaps you should have been clear in your original post of the goal and guidelines rather than coming off as a junior poster with an outlandish request.