1400 hp Big Chevy combinations

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

af2
Guru
Guru

Re: 1400 hp Big Chevy combinations

Post by af2 »

rustbucket79 wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:03 pm Then perhaps you should have been clear in your original post of the goal and guidelines rather than coming off as a junior poster with an outlandish request.
Yes I got lost in the conversation.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

Craig J wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:16 pm ...You don't need 1400 hp to run eights you need the correct car combo...

I am sorry Gary, I intended use this example of how a stock GM 6.0 block, cast crank, powdered rods & cast pistons can push a 4000+ lb police car to 154 mph in the 1/4 with a conventional automatic transmission and torque converter...and not just one glory pass.

This probably requires ???? 1000 hp???

I find it a bit sad that many on this forum immediately say my goal is impossible.
You asked. You got realistic answers. You just did not get the answer you wanted.
What is not realistic is some bet to make twice the HP with half the budget.
Why not change some pullies on that carbed car?
Please take video.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

At first I thought it would was close to impossible, but I was bored today and after digging around, it just might be doable for a few pulls on the dyno (then I suppose you could back off the boost and drive it around-still FAR from an ideal build and most likely a ticking time bomb if you use all that boost)

Assuming you already have some sort of fuel injection, intake, injectors, fuel pump, ignition system, etc. This could be the wild card. Is the cost included in the $6K, or assumed you already have it? You could easily spend the whole $6K on just the fuel system and computer.

The only real option to make the number are the chinese ebay turbos. The GT45's can be had for less than $200 ea (Often $150). Chinese turbo headers, $200/set. Air to water intercoolers, $150 each. You'll still need some kind of wastegate and plumbing, along with a water box for the intercoolers unless you use city water. Isopropyl alcohol and dry ice would be your best cooling medium ( -80F) to let it live for at least a few pulls on the dyno. Again, ebay shopping for chinese stuff can keep it below $1200. Yes, it's crap, and copies of old school stuff, but it should get you 25psi boost.

What are you planning to do for heads? Afaik, there's not much available for the 8.1, but if you stick with the Mk IV, you can get the Brodix BB-2 XTRA's for less than $2K/pair, ready to run from Summit. Head studs and good head gaskets are gonna be mandatory. It could very likely blow a head gasket on the dyno if you cheap out. What about cam?

You'll need blower/turbo pistons ($1K or so?). Eagle makes rods "rated for 1500hp" available at Summit for $700.

Is the price of a core engine included, or is it assumed that you started with something?

I've had to build quite a few "claimer" circle track engines over the years that somehow ended up in the winners circle and am well versed in being a cheap-ass when the need arises.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

Dave Koehler wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:34 pm
Craig J wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:16 pm ...You don't need 1400 hp to run eights you need the correct car combo...

I am sorry Gary, I intended use this example of how a stock GM 6.0 block, cast crank, powdered rods & cast pistons can push a 4000+ lb police car to 154 mph in the 1/4 with a conventional automatic transmission and torque converter...and not just one glory pass.

I find it a bit sad that many on this forum immediately say my goal is impossible.
You asked. You got realistic answers. You just did not get the answer you wanted.
What is not realistic is some bet to make twice the HP with half the budget.
Why not change some pullies on that carbed car?
Please take video.
But he doesn't want the thingies sticking out the hood?
GURU is only a name.
Adam
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

I guess I am confused, if your goal is a BBC that makes 1400 hp then I agree with the others, it ain't happnen! If you goal is to cobble something together for $6000 that makes 1400 hp then your engine will be a Dom quote... "I Live My Life 9 Seconds At A Time"

One of the popular budget nitrous engines around here was a .100 over BBC, cast bottom end with forged pistons, we called them Nitrous Grenades... you never knew when one was going to go off... You should add an Engine Diaper to your budget unless you can afford to replace the car along your budget engine.

All my racing has been on a below budget bases and your 2 biggest enemys are weight and heat, both for engine and trans and a boosted (especially blown) BBC is the king of weight and heat.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

So is it a BBC, or a 6.0L?

I’m very confused at this point...

What parts do you have already? Is it going in a vehicle or is this just a dyno race?
Rick!
Expert
Expert

Post by Rick! »

You can make 1400hp with a 383 SBC and a S484 turbo with C12 with 33psi.
You can also do it with a junkyard LS and chinese ebay turbos.
Or a Steve Morris engine with the world's largest turbo.
It''ll bend stock rods with ease.
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Orr89rocz »

Basic china metal rotator will hold it. Fill the block
Stock rec port head freshened up. Go 9.5-10:1 comp if possible
Any decent single plane and blow thru carb with hat
Twin china vs racing 7875’s.

On methonal or e85 it will get you there without a cooler but intercooler would be preferred on normal gas unless c16.
1400 is not a lot for a bbc rotator in a turbo app. Not sure on oem block strength tho but i have seen them make 1000-1200 flywheel on a turbo car
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

Nitrous?
Craig J

Post by Craig J »

Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

You do realize that 1400 HP is 56% more than 900 HP?
Let us know what the cost of the parts and mods in that video comes out to.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

i dont think nitrous will work. build a big block for 6000 and put enough spray on it to get to 1400, it likely would not survive the first pull. only way i see of doing it involves turbos.
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

I have more than $6000 in just my intake!
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
BILL-C
Expert
Expert

Post by BILL-C »

I really hate it when someone slaps together a half-assed engine and procedes to scatter it all over the track. Now everyone is stuck sweating their butts off in the staging lanes for an hour waiting for the track to get cleaned up. It sucks even more when you are the next one down that lane and lose the round because you spun when you ran over that one spot that got missed in the clean up . When you try to build something that you can't really afford, and do a crappy job, your bad judgement can result in other people besides yourself paying the price. How many times have you seen a car have a mechanical problem and shoot across the track and take out the guy in the other lane. I don't want to be in the other lane next to the guy with the 1400 hp hand grenade .
Carlquist Competition Engines
raynorshine
Expert
Expert

Post by raynorshine »

BILL-C wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:58 pm I really hate it when someone slaps together a half-assed engine and procedes to scatter it all over the track. Now everyone is stuck sweating their butts off in the staging lanes for an hour waiting for the track to get cleaned up. It sucks even more when you are the next one down that lane and lose the round because you spun when you ran over that one spot that got missed in the clean up . When you try to build something that you can't really afford, and do a crappy job, your bad judgement can result in other people besides yourself paying the price. How many times have you seen a car have a mechanical problem and shoot across the track and take out the guy in the other lane. I don't want to be in the other lane next to the guy with the 1400 hp hand grenade .
yes! x2 =D>

-i've only scattered one engine...and i felt like a total azz :oops:
Use it up
Wear it out
Eat it all!

-the greatest..."Dale Armstrong"