Engine swap ideas for a 1979 Mercedes 240D

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Re: Engine swap ideas for a 1979 Mercedes 240D

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

grandsport51 wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:24 am Here you go I’m sure there are more
8E5833B7-97D1-4145-BB47-CF0F3A58E7E8.jpeg8E5833B7-97D1-4145-BB47-CF0F3A58E7E8.jpeg
I'm clicking on that but it takes me to an unrelated image.
Any tips how to use it?
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Tuner wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:41 am Seems like you would want to convert it to electric. https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... opping-ads
A friend of mine is doing a 57 T-bird, working on it 2 years now, using parts from a Leaf.
Really struggling to overcome all the OEM fail safes.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

gmrocket wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:16 pm Diesels really respond to propane or natural gas conversion because the comp ratio. Gets rid of the stink and usually increases the power

Easy conversion on the old diesels without much electronics
Never thought of that.
I'll look into it.

Some friends tried to do veggie oil, way too many problems, getting the oil, preparing the fuel and dealing with clogs.
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:39 am
gmrocket wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:16 pm Diesels really respond to propane or natural gas conversion because the comp ratio. Gets rid of the stink and usually increases the power

Easy conversion on the old diesels without much electronics
Never thought of that.
I'll look into it.

Some friends tried to do veggie oil, way too many problems, getting the oil, preparing the fuel and dealing with clogs.
Benz were actually experimenting with propane on your vehicle... duel fuel diesel and propane. But a pure propane deal is much better and a much easier deal . I worked for the nat gas utility back in the 90' and a few of us converted our daily drivers over to nat gas.

You could probably find a used propane set up at the scrapers that was on a diesel?

My co worker did his diesel benz wagon...I did my Olds tornado with a 350...he would kill me on acceleration.

https://gazeo.com/automotive/vehicles/M ... ,8489.html
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

http://www.mercedesautoworks.com/how-do ... s-300d.htm

You could try swapping the OEM injectors for something that generates less smoke and gives better mileage. That would be for your Son's car that would actually remain driveable. :wink:

You could find a nice second car to play around with and teach him about carbs and points.

I remember an old post about twelve years back where you talked about fabricating engine mounts for a four-cylinder Mercedes diesel. It caught my eye because I had just started driving an old Mercedes diesel and also had a 3-cyl Geo Metro (lots of engine movement at idle).
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Wow, i am surprised (anything) is exempt in Calif. =D> Mark H.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Kevin Johnson wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:33 am http://www.mercedesautoworks.com/how-do ... s-300d.htm

You could try swapping the OEM injectors for something that generates less smoke and gives better mileage. That would be for your Son's car that would actually remain driveable. :wink:

You could find a nice second car to play around with and teach him about carbs and points.

I remember an old post about twelve years back where you talked about fabricating engine mounts for a four-cylinder Mercedes diesel. It caught my eye because I had just started driving an old Mercedes diesel and also had a 3-cyl Geo Metro (lots of engine movement at idle).
Already did the injectors, they are a little better.
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:37 am
Tuner wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:41 am Seems like you would want to convert it to electric. https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ ... opping-ads
A friend of mine is doing a 57 T-bird, working on it 2 years now, using parts from a Leaf.
Needs to be hung by his electrodes for blaspheming a 57 T-Bird like that. Chevy freaks hate it that the LS engine is just a weak counterfeit 312. 2x4 Teapots rule.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Tuner wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:59 pm
SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 1:37 am
Needs to be hung by his electrodes for blaspheming a 57 T-Bird like that. Chevy freaks hate it that the LS engine is just a weak counterfeit 312. 2x4 Teapots rule.
That was my thinking but he couldn't be talked out of it.

He is very impulsive, an early adopter, always buys the first of every new tech.
He has already had 3 new electric cars.
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

Many years ago, I drove a near-new (?76-77) MANUAL trans 240D from LA to South Carolina; even near-new it stank bad and woefully under-powered.

Cool thing was its mechanical diesel injection kept right on running when its near-new alternator puked & battery died:
Harrowing night ride on I-20, just a few feet off rear of tractor-trailer. I gave in and hitchhiked to Darlington & called home.

Me thinks all-aluminum LS with stand-alone EFI computer would be practical.

? Does Kali actually exempt Diesels vehicles (that have been retro-fitted to gasoline) ?
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Two parter:

1)
https://www.mbpartsstore.com/oem-parts/ ... d8QAvD_BwE

2)
California_DMV.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Many years ago, I drove a near-new (?76-77) MANUAL trans 240D . . . it stank bad and was woefully under-powered.
For true, the 240D was a POS to drive when new; but you forgot noisy.

Well, whichever suggestion you take, the one fact is no matter what you swap in, you'll have improved the 240D.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

PackardV8 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:15 pm
Many years ago, I drove a near-new (?76-77) MANUAL trans 240D . . . it stank bad and was woefully under-powered.
For true, the 240D was a POS to drive when new; but you forgot noisy.

Well, whichever suggestion you take, the one fact is no matter what you swap in, you'll have improved the 240D.
Unless if we get hit by an EMP, in which case the original engine may rule the roads!

I think that adding a turbo might help with sound, smoke, and speed, while still keeping the car EMP proof.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

ptuomov wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:23 pm Unless if we get hit by an EMP, in which case the original engine may rule the roads!

I think that adding a turbo might help with sound, smoke, and speed, while still keeping the car EMP proof.
It is to be hoped your post is tongue-in-cheek. If a serious reason to keep a 240D, of all my worries "EMP-proof" doesn't appear anywhere on the list.

BTW, in an EMP event, fuel station pumps would be off line. We've all seen the Road Warrior saga and unless one is prepared with unlimited diesel storage, what's the point? Then, even if one had stored the fuel, how is one to venture out on the road in that distopian future? The armed scavengers would be putting up barricades and taking taking your 240D anyway.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

PackardV8 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:03 pm
ptuomov wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:23 pm Unless if we get hit by an EMP, in which case the original engine may rule the roads!

It is to be hoped your post is tongue-in-cheek. If a serious reason to keep a 240D, of all my worries "EMP-proof" doesn't appear anywhere on the list.

BTW, in an EMP event, fuel station pumps would be off line. We've all seen the Road Warrior saga and unless one is prepared with unlimited diesel storage, what's the point? Then, even if one had stored the fuel, how is one to venture out on the road in that distopian future? The armed scavengers would be putting up barricades and taking taking your 240D anyway.
It runs on vegetable oil if necessary... I think that after an EMP attack, it would be nice to have a working car for a couple of hours before armed organized bands start roaming and make it to your country-side hideout before that! And who says you can’t be armed yourself?

In reality, of course, I’m suggesting just a fun project of considering how to EMP proof a car, not that it would necessarily be useful in the scenario. It would force one to think thru various engineering and physics issues. Preparing for EMP would be much more of a social networking thing than technical thing, and I’m not doing anything along those lines.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here