General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rustbucket79
Guru
Guru
Re: 1400 hp Big Chevy combinations

Post by rustbucket79 »

raynorshine wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:43 pm
BILL-C wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:58 pm I really hate it when someone slaps together a half-assed engine and procedes to scatter it all over the track. Now everyone is stuck sweating their butts off in the staging lanes for an hour waiting for the track to get cleaned up. It sucks even more when you are the next one down that lane and lose the round because you spun when you ran over that one spot that got missed in the clean up . When you try to build something that you can't really afford, and do a crappy job, your bad judgement can result in other people besides yourself paying the price. How many times have you seen a car have a mechanical problem and shoot across the track and take out the guy in the other lane. I don't want to be in the other lane next to the guy with the 1400 hp hand grenade .
yes! x2 =D>

-i've only scattered one engine...and i felt like a total azz :oops:
Where do you race in British Columbia Raynor?
Craig J

Post by Craig J »

lefty o wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:25 pm i dont think nitrous will work. build a big block for 6000 and put enough spray on it to get to 1400, it likely would not survive the first pull. only way i see of doing it involves turbos.
I think you are correct... pd superchargers and nitrous must put much more stress on components than turbos... the video of the big block is a great example... that engine would have needed a 400 hp nitrous hit... I don't think the cast pistons would have survived.
Craig J

Post by Craig J »

Dave Koehler wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:48 pm You do realize that 1400 HP is 56% more than 900 HP?
Let us know what the cost of the parts and mods in that video comes out to.
Yes, that engine has cast pistons, stock rods, and was only running 12 psi.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

Craig J wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:56 am
lefty o wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:25 pm i dont think nitrous will work. build a big block for 6000 and put enough spray on it to get to 1400, it likely would not survive the first pull. only way i see of doing it involves turbos.
I think you are correct... pd superchargers and nitrous must put much more stress on components than turbos... the video of the big block is a great example... that engine would have needed a 400 hp nitrous hit... I don't think the cast pistons would have survived.
Just a quibble point on stress. Cylinder pressure is cylinder pressure regardless of the method used to achieve it.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

There’s the peak cylinder pressure and the average cylinder pressure. I think that compared to NA, turbo engines have relatively higher average of lower peak cylinder pressures.

Which big Chevy has the heaviest and lowest compression cast pistons? In a whole another application, we’ve had good luck with heavy cast pistons with low enough compression and a wide enough piston ring gaps.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Craig J wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:46 am
Coloradoracer wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:18 am I'll say it, don't care what anybody thinks. AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN. A 6k budget isn't even remotely close to that, supercharged or not......1400 hp isn't a joke. Especially if you want it to live....Add into that about 500-1000 or more for a day or more on the dyno to get it sorted out too.....

Save your money...wait until you can actually afford it.....
So you don't have any suggestions on a combination that makes 1400 hp... got it.

Just curious if you have seen this video, or know about this car:
Are you sloppy mechanics? Then get your head out of the clouds.

With $6k you're relegated to a stock, worn out bbc and 2 worn out turbos. 1400hp?

Ahahahabahahaha.bullshit.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
Craig J

Post by Craig J »

So you think it would be better to start with a 6.0 ? That seems a bit strange, I really thought the the extra 2 liters of displacement would make it easier to reach the goal... Interesting idea.
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

Dave Koehler wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:08 am
Just a quibble point on stress. Cylinder pressure is cylinder pressure regardless of the method used to achieve it.
i disagree, tear down an engine thats lived on a turbo for a while and tear down one that made the same power on nitrous, and its clear the nitrous is way more abusive. the amount of juice required to meet his budget 1400hp will likely result in an oil pan full of parts.
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Orr89rocz »

Craig J wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:24 pm So you think it would be better to start with a 6.0 ? That seems a bit strange, I really thought the the extra 2 liters of displacement would make it easier to reach the goal... Interesting idea.
I doubt you will have a 4 bolt head deal work at that hp level but maybe. Copper gasket with oring groove and high tensile studs. It wont be cheap either to do all that. Stock crank is marginal at that power level they tend to move around abit. I mean the big bang stock bottom end 6.0 record was 1500 odd hp flywheel but thats a dyno pull not a full track pass.
More reliable and realistic is 1000-1200 hp.

Either way unless you get parts for free and do your own machine work i doubt you can do it for 6 g. Efi would be strongly recommended and that adds some cost. 1000$ in injector and software on stock ecm stuff. But you probably would be better off with a megasquirt or holley
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

lefty o wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:31 pm

i disagree, tear down an engine thats lived on a turbo for a while and tear down one that made the same power on nitrous, and its clear the nitrous is way more abusive. the amount of juice required to meet his budget 1400hp will likely result in an oil pan full of parts.
You are saying that the nitrous is more spiky (a word?), detonation sensitive or creating higher pressure than needed.
I was saying for the cylinder pressure required to hit X HP all methods get there in the end.
Like I said it is a bit of a quibble.
raynorshine
Expert
Expert

Post by raynorshine »

rustbucket79 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:35 pm
raynorshine wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:43 pm
BILL-C wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:58 pm I really hate it when someone slaps together a half-assed engine and procedes to scatter it all over the track. Now everyone is stuck sweating their butts off in the staging lanes for an hour waiting for the track to get cleaned up. It sucks even more when you are the next one down that lane and lose the round because you spun when you ran over that one spot that got missed in the clean up . When you try to build something that you can't really afford, and do a crappy job, your bad judgement can result in other people besides yourself paying the price. How many times have you seen a car have a mechanical problem and shoot across the track and take out the guy in the other lane. I don't want to be in the other lane next to the guy with the 1400 hp hand grenade .
yes! x2 =D>

-i've only scattered one engine...and i felt like a total azz :oops:
Where do you race in British Columbia Raynor?
been awhile...Northern Lites, Ft St John BC
Use it up
Wear it out
Eat it all!

-the greatest..."Dale Armstrong"
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

Dave Koehler wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:20 pm
You are saying that the nitrous is more spiky (a word?), detonation sensitive or creating higher pressure than needed.
I was saying for the cylinder pressure required to hit X HP all methods get there in the end.
maybe so, but we are talking about extreme budget parts trying to make 1400hp, its going to take or 8 shot of juice to get there. with cheap parts, may as well light off dynamite in those cylinders.
raynorshine
Expert
Expert

Post by raynorshine »

-this kinda of non-sense...dribble...head in the clouds(or possibly elsewhere)...is AKA "False Economy" :lol:
Use it up
Wear it out
Eat it all!

-the greatest..."Dale Armstrong"
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

lefty o wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:04 pm
Dave Koehler wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:20 pm

maybe so, but we are talking about extreme budget parts trying to make 1400hp, its going to take or 8 shot of juice to get there. with cheap parts, may as well light off dynamite in those cylinders.
No worries. It's not going to happen. It's a quantum leap from a 900 HP magazine what if article to real world 1400 HP.
I did not address the quibble from a budget or HP goal standpoint. Just the wording in general.
tt 383
Expert
Expert

Post by tt 383 »

Just copy this guys build it’s pretty cheap if you piece it out used and it proved durable. Use the 427 and sell the S488 or trade for one you want in twins, any of twin VSR S480, Borg S475 or the China 78/7675 turbos will do, then all you need is a comparable head, cam, turbo headers/logs and piece together the rotator.
You could obviously tone this build down and cut some corners yet still reach your goal. You could use GT45 for super cheap or Borg S366 depending on who you buy from
https://www.yellowbullet.com/threads/40 ... 78.500806/