302 Ford manifold selection

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

MadBill
Guru
Guru

Re: 302 Ford manifold selection

Post by MadBill »

JohnsnsFord2@aol.com wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:50 am.

how much taller is a FW over the SV and Vic JR?
The car in question is stored off site; I'll get a measurement when I can if no one else chimes in first.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Calypso
Pro
Pro

Post by Calypso »

Application might have an influence in the choice. :)

Going by the memory here: ~540hp (w.super vic) 347cid with afr heads and mech roller (about 260@050 106lsa) made most up to 6800ish with vic jr. Above super vic was better. Stock block, decent stroker kit, street/road course car, so the owner went with jr.

The funnelweb arrived a little late to test unfortunately.
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

The application for mine is a 306 CI, peak HP of 78-8000 rpm.

This has been all I could find on the TF-R manifold:

"slightly better than the super victor! On the 351W we built here it was worth 4HP and 5TQ and 1.8 avg. HP and 1.9 avg. TQ through the pull from 4500 rpm to 7200rpm. All we did to it was mill it to fit the heads..no porting was done at all on either intake."

It was a 351W and 357 CI. At 7200, it's flowing ~743 cfm. Mine will flow ~ 710 @ 8000. Of course the 351 runners are different and probably the plenum (?), too.

I'm surprised that no one has chimed in on the AFR manifold. There seem to be a lot of AFR heads out there.

BTW, EDC, I love the looks of that manifold. Who did the casting?
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

frnkeore wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:41 am Bill, thank you for that info.

I had heard that the earlier (8-10 yrs ago) chi copy's were very close to the original FW's but, these later ones are basically, very inferior.

Have you ever talked to anyone that has used the TF, R manifold?
Someone tested it as-cast vs an as-cast SV in this thread

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45866

ou812 wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:59 pm slightly better than the super victor! On the 351W we built here (http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/150 ... 1-windsor/) it was worth 4HP and 5TQ and 1.8 avg. HP and 1.9 avg. TQ through the pull from 4500 rpm to 7200rpm. All we did to it was mill it to fit the heads..no porting was done at all on either intake.
Brian
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

Yes, that was the one that I quoted from, above.

As I alluded to above, many have AFR heads, did they all choose a NON AFR manifold to go with the AFR heads?
amc fan
Expert
Expert

Post by amc fan »

Go for the Speedmaster funnelweb.Great price you can easily port the inside ....if you Google Car craft Ford 302 intake test it made good power.
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

[quote=how much taller is a FW over the SV and Vic JR?
[/quote]

I have all three manifolds at the shop. Will measure them tomorrow, providing I don't forget!
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

SS: be good to have your measurements too, but per Speedmaster and Edelbrock, FW = 7.25", SV = 6.35", VJ = 5.5" (Note that in Big Joe's testing, it took a 1" spacer on the SV to equal the FW power.) Just for reference, an SBF Weiand tunnel ram is 8.8/9.2"

n2omike
Guru
Guru

Post by n2omike »

This is going on my 363. It's a seriously ported Super Victor done by Mike Curcio at MCRP. He was known for doing good with these. The widened corners at the plenum opening are supposed to be for fuel drop, as he called it... or mixture distribution. He told me where he was going to break through ahead of time, hence the epoxy in those two spots. I use a PLATE for nitrous, so I think the large plenum/runners will do well with that... as they have to carry not only the carb's air/fuel, but also the plate's.

8.2 deck SBF, 363 ci

SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

Got a chance to check out some of the SBF intakes. The ones I measured were Victor Jr, Super Victor, Chicom knockoff of Terry Parker's Funnelweb and a '66 Shelby S2MS. The measurements are from the carb. pad to the front and rear china walls and a level dimension on each.

Front Rear Level
Funnelweb 6-1/2" 7-1/2 7-1/8"
Super Vic 6-1/4" 6-3/16 6-7/32"
Vic Jr 5-5/16" 5-5/16 5-5/16"
S2MS 4-7/16" 5-3/16" 5-5/8"
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

MadBill wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:20 pm SS: be good to have your measurements too, but per Speedmaster and Edelbrock, FW = 7.25", SV = 6.35", VJ = 5.5" , TFS -R 6.225" (Note that in Big Joe's testing, it took a 1" spacer on the SV to equal the FW power.) Just for reference, an SBF Weiand tunnel ram is 8.8/9.2"
Added TFS spec.

frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

SupStk, thank you, very much for posting that and going to the work to do those measurements.

Bill, thank you for your measurements adding the TFS R manifold ht.
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

I thought I'd bring this up, one more time. I appreciate the measurement feed back but, this is my original post:

"The original, funnel web is out, because they are unavailable (shoot me a message if you have one). So, I would like opinions and dyno results, if you have them, on the 4830 AFR, Super Victor and the Trick Flow TFS-52400111 manifolds."

And I would love to hear from people that have used these manifolds.

Thank you for your input, so far.
Caprimaniac
Guru
Guru

Post by Caprimaniac »

Sorry, cannot help you. But there’s somthing I miss in this inlet manifold thread. Why haven’t someone stepped up yet and shouted: Put on a tunnel ram and be done with it.

But you’re set on a low rise manifold, I guess.
How to turn GURU in an instant.....
EDC
Expert
Expert

Post by EDC »

Caprimaniac wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:19 pm Sorry, cannot help you. But there’s somthing I miss in this inlet manifold thread. Why haven’t someone stepped up yet and shouted: Put on a tunnel ram and be done with it.

But you’re set on a low rise manifold, I guess.

8)
"Quality" is like buying oats. You can pay a fair price for it and get some good quality oats,
or you can get it a hell of a lot cheaper, when it's already been through the horse.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Ed Curtis - www.FlowTechInduction.com