Molnar vs K1 vs compstar crank and rods

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Mikej26
Molnar vs K1 vs compstar crank and rods

Post by Mikej26 »

Been shopping around looking for different components for a 400+ sbc.

Have stumbled across what seems to be a pretty good deal through summit racing that is a Dart SHP 4.125 bore block with a K1 3.75” crank and K1 6” rods with Wiseco protru pistons.

I know that Tom Molnar formerly owned K1 and I know that his current product under his own name is high quality. Is the current K1 product the same design and quality as it once was? Is it essentially the same product that he sells under his name now?

Lastly in a recent thread I made comparing different strokes with a 4.125 base bore, I saw many people mentioned Compstar rods and I’m assuming cranks to go with them. How do these stack up against the K1 or Molnar pieces?
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Molnar vs K1 vs compstar crank and rods

Post by Orr89rocz »

Compstar is good stuff. K1 is also good stuff, especially the lsx stuff for the money. Both have held much more hp than anyone would have thought in turbo combos

Molnar might have made some design changes here and there, but not sure but his stuff is also good. Wouldn’t hesitate to run any of these
Mikej26

Post by Mikej26 »

Is it safe to say that any of them are a cut above Eagle or Scat? Obviously every manufacturer has a spectrum from entry level items to the top of their lines, but generally speaking are the 3 I mentioned in a different tier than scat or eagle?
Last edited by Mikej26 on Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

Mikej26 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:48 pm Is it safe to say that any of them are a cut above Eagle or Scat? Obviously every manufacturer has a spectrum from entry level items to the top of their lines, but generally speaking are the 3 I mentioned in a different tier that scat or eagle?
Yes.
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Afaik, some of Molnars stuff is imported. It's not all made in USA. Their entry level stuff specifically is imported, as I recall.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
Mikej26

Post by Mikej26 »

BLOCKMAN wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:33 am
Mikej26 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:00 pm Been shopping around looking for different components for a 400+ sbc.

Have stumbled across what seems to be a pretty good deal through summit racing that is a Dart SHP 4.125 bore block with a K1 3.75” crank and K1 6” rods with Wiseco protru pistons.

I know that Tom Molnar formerly owned K1 and I know that his current product under his own name is high quality. Is the current K1 product the same design and quality as it once was? Is it essentially the same product that he sells under his name now?

Lastly in a recent thread I made comparing different strokes with a 4.125 base bore, I saw many people mentioned Compstar rods and I’m assuming cranks to go with them. How do these stack up against the K1 or Molnar pieces?
On 3.750 stroke rods I am kind of partial to the Callies Compstar rods They plenty of cam to rod clearance no need for a reduced base circle cam.

Crankshafts I am Partial to the Callies cranks and have used the Molnar line and also have used the cranks from Liberty Performance which is the same crank Manley Performance sells.

If your looking at pistons I would look at the Mahle Power Pack piston they have a 1MM 1MM 2MM ring pack Very nice pistons.

If your looking for a block I sell that block all machined to your spec for 1975.00 Shipping in the U.S. is 125.00 I would up grade to main studs.
Here is a link to my page
http://hinksonautomotive-cncblocks.com/products/

Good luck what ever way you go.
I’ve bookmarked you. What are your thoughts on CP-Carillo bullet pistons relative to the Mahle powerpaks?

I apologize for all of the questions lately. I grew up with a family automotive business and worked there into my mid 20’s. I switched careers and the family business 40 years dissolved for various reasons. So now nearly 20 years later I’m getting back into things since I’m finally able to afford such a hobby.
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

Unless you get Carrillo or lentz most of the rod crankshaft assembly or made overseas along with scat and eagle they just put there names on the the stuff and jack up the price to give the buyer the illusion he getting something better.
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

midnightbluS10 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:56 am Afaik, some of Molnars stuff is imported. It's not all made in USA. Their entry level stuff specifically is imported, as I recall.
Some? I thought it was ALL Chinese-sourced.

IF (big IF) some of it is domestic, that'd be great news to me.
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Schurkey wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:49 pm
midnightbluS10 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:56 am Afaik, some of Molnars stuff is imported. It's not all made in USA. Their entry level stuff specifically is imported, as I recall.
Some? I thought it was ALL Chinese-sourced.

IF (big IF) some of it is domestic, that'd be great news to me.
I knew their entry level stuff was so that's all I felt comfortable commenting about. I actually came across some of the import paperwork/electronic records online for some stuff they sell. I believe it was connecting rods that were in that shipment.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

Well, if we're going to be picky on the import stuff.....Mahle is not an American company.

Or do you just mean "Chinese."
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

All of it is, though it's finished here. K1 is also imported. Here's a tip. If the rods are in the 600.00 to 800.00 range, they're imported. With the exception of Boostline. They're 1300.00, and they are imported too.

I just did an all American rotating assembly with all the bells and whistles. It was 9K. Nothing really fancy. Bryant crank (3K), custom rods (2.5K), coasted H13 pins (600.00), coated, gas ported pistons (2K) Steel ring set (340.00), coated bearings (400.00)...plus balancing and all the normal nonsense.

There still ain't no free lunch.
Mikej26

Post by Mikej26 »

Personally I’m not that hung up on whether they imported or US made. If the quality is there, I will go with it. Sure I’d rather keep the money in the US, but realistically most of us a forced to make compromises.

I never got clarity about whether the current K1 cranks and rods are comparable to the Molnar stuff. There is a price discrepancy between the two, not massive, but it’s there. So would be nice to be able to pay less if they’re essentially the same parts.
houser45
Pro
Pro

Post by houser45 »

A standard weight scat crankshaft will hold just as much hp as any of the other imports. For the money vs. weight the f43 scat/ compstar comet is hard to beat.
Mikej26

Post by Mikej26 »

houser45 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:19 pm A standard weight scat crankshaft will hold just as much hp as any of the other imports. For the money vs. weight the f43 scat/ compstar comet is hard to beat.
My next question was going to be about the lighter weight offerings from the various companies. Obviously companies like Callies are going to be a cut above and the price reflects that. But the lightweight Molnar, scat f43 and compstar comet are reasonably priced around $1k.

Is the benefit of switching to the lightweight cranks substantial?
The machine work/craftsmanship looks to be a step up from the baseline cranks, but are they giving up much or anything with respect to durability?

I want a performer most definitely, but I’m not out there racing competitively so durability is paramount over getting that last few horsepower.

Also the light weight cranks intuitively seem like they’d be great in a road racing car with a manual trans. Does the benefit transfer over to automatic transmissions?
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru

Post by rustbucket79 »

I bough a Scat super lightweight 3.75/400 main crank back in 2006 and have drag raced it on and off to this day. Thinking about retiring this rotator next year for a 3.875 setup. As nice as this crank is, I wouldn't spend the extra money again. There might be some benefit to the light weight, but it couldn't be much, and having to add mallory to internal balance was annoying.