302 Ford manifold selection

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

EDC
Expert
Expert

Re: 302 Ford manifold selection

Post by EDC »

raynorshine wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:11 pm never was a Ford fanatic, but i remember an aluminum single plane manifold for a SBF that looked horrible, very straight runners..etc.."torker" i think :roll:

A real POS - Except for the "Streetmaster" series of intakes.
"Quality" is like buying oats. You can pay a fair price for it and get some good quality oats,
or you can get it a hell of a lot cheaper, when it's already been through the horse.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Ed Curtis - www.FlowTechInduction.com
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Anyone got dimensions and/or dyno data on the 8.2 Track Boss piece?
https://www.tmeyerinc.com/product/track ... QYRVuyWElQ
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
n2omike
Guru
Guru

Post by n2omike »

EDC wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:27 pm
raynorshine wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:11 pm never was a Ford fanatic, but i remember an aluminum single plane manifold for a SBF that looked horrible, very straight runners..etc.."torker" i think :roll:

I ran a Torker 289 back in the day... I ported it, and had the crossover welded. With factory heads, it seemed to work really well. I later tried a Torker II, and that thing was a DUD! Eventually went to a Victor Jr, and sold the old Torker to a guy who put it on his Mustang II. Picked up quite a bit at the track over the dual plane he had on it.

The Weiand 7515 'Accelerator' won some intake shootouts on fairly mild SBF combos, and it's pretty much the same thing as the Torker 289.

I'm not saying that it is a great racing intake compared to what is available now... especially since aftermarket heads came out... but back in the day, we didn't even have a Victor Jr. lol Things have come a LONG way since the 1980's in the Ford world! :)
n2omike
Guru
Guru

Post by n2omike »

MadBill wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:02 pm Anyone got dimensions and/or dyno data on the 8.2 Track Boss piece?
https://www.tmeyerinc.com/product/track ... QYRVuyWElQ
That's for either 351C or Boss 302 heads on a 8.2 deck engine. I had one. Was going to use it on a Boss 302, but ended up selling all the Boss 302 parts to people who valued it more than I did. lol

Right before the 302 Victor Jr. came out, they also introduced an intake called the VR Spider. This dwarfed the Victor Jr. It was a small company that saw a need for a 'race' single plane for the 302 Ford... but once the Victor Jr. came out... probably less than a year after these hit the market... they dried up pretty quick.

Another relatively unknown intake is the Offenhauser Port-O-Sonic. In stock form, it is one ROUGH cast piece that needs a LOT of porting and clean-up work... but back in its day (before the Victor Jr came out) it was the best, once it was completely gone though. These might still be available.

EDC
Expert
Expert

Post by EDC »

Tried to buy this old Offy on FleaBay for my collection but the guy wanted far too much.

"Quality" is like buying oats. You can pay a fair price for it and get some good quality oats,
or you can get it a hell of a lot cheaper, when it's already been through the horse.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

n2omike wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:24 pm...That's for either 351C or Boss 302 heads on a 8.2 deck engine. I had one. Was going to use it on a Boss 302, but ended up selling all the Boss 302 parts to people who valued it more than I did. lol...
Not too up on SBF variants, but the app would be 11R 205 TFS heads.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

n2omike wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:02 pm

I ran a Torker 289 back in the day... I ported it, and had the crossover welded. With factory heads, it seemed to work really well. I later tried a Torker II, and that thing was a DUD! Eventually went to a Victor Jr, and sold the old Torker to a guy who put it on his Mustang II. Picked up quite a bit at the track over the dual plane he had on it.

The Weiand 7515 'Accelerator' won some intake shootouts on fairly mild SBF combos, and it's pretty much the same thing as the Torker 289.

I'm not saying that it is a great racing intake compared to what is available now... especially since aftermarket heads came out... but back in the day, we didn't even have a Victor Jr. lol Things have come a LONG way since the 1980's in the Ford world! :)
The mention of that old Torquer reminded me of a '66 Mustang I raced at a local 1/4 mile track. Mostly stock 289 with the Ford LeMans cam, that manifold and an Autolite 1.12 it ran the best of 12.68 at 3500' altitude. At the time you couldn't convince me it wasn't the best SBF manifold. :D
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
raynorshine
Expert
Expert

Post by raynorshine »

that's it...!!!! yikes....run :lol:
Use it up
Wear it out
Eat it all!

-the greatest..."Dale Armstrong"
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

raynorshine wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 11:37 am

that's it...!!!! yikes....run :lol:
I remember that manifold being released to provide highway speed torque and mileage for a small 289" engine ... as I remember it came with no hi RPM horsepower claims. People seem to now be badmouthing it for not doing more than what it was intended to do.
It was never meant to be used on any engine larger than 306 and certainly not at high RPM.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
n2omike
Guru
Guru

Post by n2omike »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:31 pm I remember that manifold being released to provide highway speed torque and mileage for a small 289" engine ... as I remember it came with no hi RPM horsepower claims. People seem to now be badmouthing it for not doing more than what it was intended to do.
It was never meant to be used on any engine larger than 306 and certainly not at high RPM.
Exactly. It was developed before stroker kits and aftermarket heads. It was meant to be bolted onto a warmed up 289... and worked great for that.
There have been intake shootouts on engines similar to the above, and the Weiand 7515, which looks just like the Torker 289, but with a straight carb pad, was the winner.

I used the Torker 289 back in the day, and it worked great. I replaced it with the Torker II... and THAT intake manifold was a true DUD. Killed the midrange.

Here we go...

http://carbdford.com/fletch/tech/intakes/intakes.htm
n2omike
Guru
Guru

Post by n2omike »

There was an 'Engine Power' episode recently with the new 351W Tunnel Ram on a 408. I think it's the new season, so you need a subscription. It's a show where they do a lot of dyno testing.

https://www.powernationtv.com/episode/E ... 08-windsor
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

I'm looking at a Canfield intake that is designed, very much like a Super Victor.

Does anyone have any experience with those?
EDC
Expert
Expert

Post by EDC »

frnkeore wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:58 pm I'm looking at a Canfield intake that is designed, very much like a Super Victor.

Would you be interested in parting with it?

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

frnkeore wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:58 pm I'm looking at a Canfield intake that is designed, very much like a Super Victor.

I'd be interested in pics of the intake if possible.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

Here it is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.