Contact at comp cams

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Re: Contact at comp cams

Post by ProPower engines »

tjs44 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:22 pm Comp has a separate lobe catalog so its EZ to pic lobes and order a custom cam.Big issue is the availability of billet cores.Took 6 weeks for a friend of mines cam and im on 4 weeks right now with no billet cores.Not sure what the issue is but hear it from other makers.Maybe Mike can chime in on the core issues.Tom
I have been told before they have a specific core supplier for their shelf stuff and any custom stuff may be longer depending on core type and firing order options. That said they also have some proprietary deal with speciality stuff that their core supplier will not supply to other cam grinders regardless of who or how many cores are wanted.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
tjs44
HotPass
HotPass

Post by tjs44 »

I understand a really custom cam like a RA V tunnel port pontiac cam as it is done from a round billet.Just dont understand a stock type core with stock firing order is not in stock?It took 12 weeks to get a V done.Maybe the new owner does not want any cores on hand.Tom
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

I was told by a reliable source that they have several suppliers for cam cores depending on the intended application.
That said I tried a while back to get a specific cam core for an engine that I wanted to use the LS firing order and they told me they were doing a run for comp and they ordered all the blanks they had on hand and the blanks that were in process of being made for the next several months.
Now if they are keeping the local guys in the US that busy the rest of the stuff must also be made off shore or some secret location eleswhere
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:35 am I heard that the Comp Group sold their controlling interest in a lot of companies, last week.
WoW ... it was Edelbrock who bought the controlling interest in the Comp Group.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:58 am
Walter R. Malik wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:35 am I heard that the Comp Group sold their controlling interest in a lot of companies, last week.
Yep, but no word on what happens with Lunati and Crane. It looks like they were not part of the deal.

I have no idea how this is going to turn out, but history tells us that being bought out by a private equity firm, normally doesn't end well.
This same private equity firm put a halt to Edelbrock doing any new development, and fired their head engineer.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

pdq67 wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:24 am
Does Ed still answer the phone in the afternoon OR has he left us??

pdq67
As I understand it, Ed goes into the plant a couple of times a week, but spends most of his time tinkering with projects in his personal shop. He has pretty much left management of the company to Richard, Ron and the others.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
Elroy
Pro
Pro

Post by Elroy »

CamKing wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:10 pm I have no idea how this is going to turn out, but history tells us that being bought out by a private equity firm, normally doesn't end well.
Isn't that the truth.
LoganD
Pro
Pro

Post by LoganD »

CamKing wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:10 pmYep, but no word on what happens with Lunati and Crane. It looks like they were not part of the deal.

I have no idea how this is going to turn out, but history tells us that being bought out by a private equity firm, normally doesn't end well.
This same private equity firm put a halt to Edelbrock doing any new development, and fired their head engineer.
So this process was setup by the "Holley Group" model, Jeff King did this to Holley and to Auto Meter. You can gain a lot more leverage for Chinese production if you're making more stuff, so you gather a few companies under one roof and slowly eliminate engineering as you move production to China.

They did it loud and proud with Holley Group, they were far more subtle with Auto Meter to avoid industry disturbance. Most people don't realize that Auto Meter owns Stack, Spek, Dedenbear, COBB, etc. Auto Meter isn't really an aftermarket performance company anymore, the majority of their profits come from the test equipment they sell to Autozone and Oreily. They're learning, and if I'm not mistaken it's the same investment group that did both companies and that is now doing this. I'd heard word Auto Meter group was being readied for sale, maybe this is their next project.
lance flake
Pro
Pro

Post by lance flake »

This is not the best news for sure. I used Tim Cole for years at comp. He was a real help to me. Maybe we can hope for a different out come on this purchase than we have seen in the past. Like was said before they will most likely use up all the profit and credit then take the money and run!
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

CamKing wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:10 pm
Walter R. Malik wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:58 am
Yep, but no word on what happens with Lunati and Crane. It looks like they were not part of the deal.

If what has happened in the past with other companies happens here, it means surely there will be no further development and simply resting your product line-up on whatever you already have.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Elroy
Pro
Pro

Post by Elroy »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:33 pm If what has happened in the past with other companies happens here, it means surely there will be no further development and simply resting your product line-up on whatever you already have.
Stagnant product line will be made cheaper and some of that savings put towards re-advertising the now junk product usually
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Sad part is, most of us depend on acquisitions like this, and subsequent stock increase, to maintain growth of our retirement portfolios. Just the way it is...

In shops like Crane, Lunati, and Comp,I wonder what % of their profile designs are actually sold 90% of the time... I wouldn’t be shocked if like the same 20 master designs make up 90% of the sales.
-Bob
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

So who's going to be left for personal relationships, LS firing orders on Gen 1 SBCs, class-specific customs, etc? Mike, Bullet, Isky and Erson?
steve316
Expert
Expert

Post by steve316 »

Brian Pitcher direct number 1-800-539-8635
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

FWIW, the official announcement on COMP's web site: http://www.cpgnation.com/industrial-opp ... nce-group/