Anyone remember the old Holley Street Dominator intake?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

pdq67
Guru
Guru
Re: Anyone remember the old Holley Street Dominator intake?

Post by pdq67 »

Which street single plane intake that was square flanged and had what looked like the four walls funneling down so that appeared to make the throat smaller, thus choking it off?

An early, "Streetmaster"?

I suppose the, "Victory Library", of intake manifolds might have a picture of it posted?? Too lazy to look is all....

pdq67
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Again, TTT.

pdq67
EDC
Expert
Expert

Post by EDC »

pdq67 wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:16 am Which street single plane intake that was square flanged and had what looked like the four walls funneling down so that appeared to make the throat smaller, thus choking it off?

An early, "Streetmaster"?

I suppose the, "Victory Library", of intake manifolds might have a picture of it posted?? Too lazy to look is all....

pdq67
Two Ford versions....

"Quality" is like buying oats. You can pay a fair price for it and get some good quality oats,
or you can get it a hell of a lot cheaper, when it's already been through the horse.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Ed Curtis - www.FlowTechInduction.com
EDC
Expert
Expert

Post by EDC »

pdq67 wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:49 pm Again, TTT.

pdq67
Small block Chevy versions

"Quality" is like buying oats. You can pay a fair price for it and get some good quality oats,
or you can get it a hell of a lot cheaper, when it's already been through the horse.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Ed Curtis - www.FlowTechInduction.com
qikgts

Post by qikgts »

Here another version of the SD for SBF's. It's the "Z" style designed by Duntov in the 70's fuel crisis days. The plenum is divided, has a "crossover" between 4 and 8, egr, and I believe they were marketed to help improve both fuel economy and performance according to a little blurb I read about these manis...

Any guesses about the effect the crossover will have on a 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8 vs. a 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 firing order?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
frnkeore
Expert
Expert

Post by frnkeore »

That's a very interesting manifold. I don't remember seeing them.

It looks like Zora, connected 4 & 8 to mitigated the 7-8 firing order problem.

On the 1-3-7 firing order, 6 pulls from 5 so, the cross over would need to be in the front, connecting 1-5 to help that.

I'd love to see a dyno shoot out between this one and the other early Torker types.
motormonkey

Post by motormonkey »

Remember the Holly economizer carb. Haha.
Tested the holly street dominator intake for bbc. It was made to clear a corvette hood.
Only thing worse was a SP2P for sbc.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

motormonkey wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:42 amRemember the Holly economizer carb. Haha.
OTOH, I know one old car guy who loves the "baby Holley" Economizer as a great street carb because it stole much from the Quadrajet design and for a daily driver was much less fussy than the 4150 series.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

PackardV8 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:33 am
motormonkey wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:42 amRemember the Holly economizer carb. Haha.
OTOH, I know one old car guy who loves the "baby Holley" Economizer as a great street carb because it stole much from the Quadrajet design and for a daily driver was much less fussy than the 4150 series.
Jack,

Can you post up more info on this, "baby Holley" Economizer carb?

I don't seem to remember it is all.

Thanks,

Oh, notice how the sides kick in at an angle down in the plenum on the FSB SD intake. I seem to remember a way early CSB single plane intake that was an economy deal that had a square top that did the same thing. Can't seem to find a picture of it..

Please post it up if anybody finds it, Thanks...

pdq67
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

pdq67 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:03 pm
PackardV8 wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:33 am
Jack, Can you post up more info on this, "baby Holley" Economizer carb? I don't seem to remember it is all. Thanks,pdq67
Holley Economaster 4360, spread bore 450 CFM. The 4360 was introduced in 1976 as a replacement for the Rochester Quadrajet on '65-'82 GM vehicles. The Holley 4360 can also replace the Carter Thermoquad on '75 and later Chrysler products and as a fuel economy improvement over the Autolite/Carter/Rochester.

Only photos I found:

Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
qikgts

Post by qikgts »

frnkeore wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:42 am That's a very interesting manifold. I don't remember seeing them.

It looks like Zora, connected 4 & 8 to mitigated the 7-8 firing order problem.

On the 1-3-7 firing order, 6 pulls from 5 so, the cross over would need to be in the front, connecting 1-5 to help that.

I'd love to see a dyno shoot out between this one and the other early Torker types.
Thanks for the explanation and input.

Here is a link to a shootout done many years ago with a Street Dominator and several other SBF intakes. However, a photo from the article doesn't show it to be the exact model as I posted.

https://web.archive.org/web/20080704064 ... ntakes.htm
motormonkey

Post by motormonkey »

The economaster was a great carb for high elevation offroading.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

I have several Street dominator intakes for Clevelands. They can be had cheap and work very well on the 2v head they were designed for. That said the new rpm airgap will put the hurt on them bad but you wont buy them for 50 bucks either.
Daniel Jones
Pro
Pro

Post by Daniel Jones »

> That said the new rpm airgap will put the hurt on them bad

Sometimes they will, other times they won't. We've tested the Performer RPM Air Gap on a 393 cubic inch street Cleveland with iron closed chamber 2V heads and a hydraulic roller cam. Cam was designed to peak in the 5500 to 6000 RPM range. IIRC, we tested the Edelbrock Performer and Performer RPM Air Gap 2V dual planes, along with the Holley Street Dominator, Parker Funnelweb and Weiand Xcelerator 2V single planes. From 2500 RPM on up, all the single planes made better power than either dual plane with the Holley Street Dominator being the best low rise intake and the Parker Funnelweb being the best. Dave McLain suggested that the engine was starved for induction flow and the dual plane plenums represented an aditional restriction. I hope to repeat the testing soon on an engine with better heads (TFS 195cc 351C-2V) with additional intakes, including some modified plenum ones. I've got an Offenhauser Port-o-Sonic here and it has an awful plenum. The dividers between runners are wide, flat and recessed. I'm hoping to improve that before we get around to dyno testing. Redline in Australia makes an intake that looks just like the Strip Dominator but has 2V ports. I'd love to get my hands on one of those for testing.

The 351C version of the Holley Street Dominator has ports that are smaller than an iron 2V head, while the Weiand ports are a little larger. Unlike most of the 351C single planes and some of the dual planes, the Holley Street Dominator has has carb heat, a choke well and EGR, along with a vacuum fitting on the #4 runner. The'll also directly mount a Motorcraft 4300D spread bore carb. When Kirk Evans emissions certified the Pantera GT5S back in the 1980s, he used the Street Dominator since it had provisions for EGR.

Dan Jones