single compression ring piston

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Re: single compression ring piston

Post by Schurkey »

GM is selling engines to the general public with full warranty and two-ring pistons.

I don't remember which engine it was. Geo Metro? Toyolet? Sprint? It was one of the captive-import jobs, and it may have been sold as a Chevrolet in the pre-GEO days.
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

bentvalves wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:04 am so I am considering blocking the thrust side oil squirt hole in the big end of the connecting rod to give this 2 groove piston a fighting chance at actually controlling oil on the bore.

think I'm askin' for trouble going this route fellers?
Yes, also some loss of piston cooling.
? Have you checked with NPR ? Nippon Piston Ring? NPR is a major manufacturer of PISTONS as well as rings and they have plant(s) in USA
heck they even make pistons for GM's sbc.

http://www.npramerica.com/nprofamerica_product.html
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

bentvalves wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:12 pm dear speedtalkers,

I am building a datsun a15 engine for a fellows b210. It is a 1500cc 4 cylinder and with the piston I will be using and the block 0 decked, we will be right up around 10:6:1 compression ratio. The engine will be spun to around 8200 rpm.

Currently, there are no .040" pistons available. A few sellers on ebay realize this and are selling these cast, 040's they have in stock for around 1k. Ring packs in the 500 dollar range : ( These pistons were going for under 100 bucks about 4 weeks ago, but they are all gone at this time (nissan ga16de)

what is available however, and on my bench at this time, is a 2 groove piston. One compression ring, and one oil control pack. Is this going to be an issue at these RPM's and cylinder pressures?

some modern 4 stroke motorcycle engines use 2 groove pistons, are high compression and spin 14k rpm (honda) food for thought. did I just answer my own question?

please advise speedtalk!

Pistons for those old Datsun/Nissan engines are easy to get in forged with any ring configuration you want.
I was doing lots of old Datsun stuff some years back for class racing and with the comp. rule they had it was money well spent just to get pistons from Diamond, JE/SRP or Wiseco. Then ring sets were not an issue and lateral gas ports were also an option for better ring seal as well making the builds much less work then to try locating stock type pistons to fill the bill to get the job done.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
LSP
Pro
Pro

Post by LSP »

Mark O'Neal wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:34 pm All pistons have a single compression ring. The second ring is for oil control.

Are you sure? Saw this posted - saw this posted by, hmmmmm.... who was it?

"the function of the second ring is 20% compression control"
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

This ^^^^^^^ is correct. Most piston ring manufacturers define the second ring as 80% oil control and 20% combustion pressure control.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
LSP
Pro
Pro

Post by LSP »

engineguyBill wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:08 am This ^^^^^^^ is correct. Most piston ring manufacturers define the second ring as 80% oil control and 20% combustion pressure control.
Which piston ring manufacturers claim that the 2nd ring controls 20% of the combustion pressure?
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

engineguyBill wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:08 am This ^^^^^^^ is correct. Most piston ring manufacturers define the second ring as 80% oil control and 20% combustion pressure control.
I guess of the top ring isn't doing its job.

Oil control ring should then be called the blowby control ring.

I have run lots of 2 ring setups, and they do get more oil up top..
bentvalves
Expert
Expert

Post by bentvalves »

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... gaegQIARB2

going to run a torsional in the top groove.

wish me luck. thanks for your input dudes.
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

LSP wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:53 am
Which piston ring manufacturers claim that the 2nd ring controls 20% of the combustion pressure?
All of them that I know of . . . . . . . . But you have misunderstood the statement. Second ring does not necessarily control 20% of the total combustion pressure, but rather the ring is designed as primarily an oil control ring (80% functionality) but also as a combustion pressure control ring (20% functionality). The second ring will help to control combustion pressure that is getting past the top ring via ring gap, etc. IF 20% of the combustion pressure is getting past the top ring, the engine has some serious issues.
Bill

SAE Member (30 years)
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

LSP wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:07 pm
Mark O'Neal wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:34 pm All pistons have a single compression ring. The second ring is for oil control.

Are you sure? Saw this posted - saw this posted by, hmmmmm.... who was it?

"the function of the second ring is 20% compression control"
I'm sure. If your second ring is controlling compression, the top ring is not doing it's job.
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

mt-engines wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:28 pm
I guess of the top ring isn't doing its job.

Oil control ring should then be called the blowby control ring.

I have run lots of 2 ring setups, and they do get more oil up top..
I've always figured I can make more power with 3 rings than I can with oil in the combustion chamber.
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

Even with increasing the second ring gap to bleed of pressure build up in the second land? Even with putting accumulator grooves in the second land to preclude pressure build up in the second land?

Maybe in 1990, but not anymore. Cast off the illusions of youth....... :D
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

bentvalves wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:11 pm https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht ... gaegQIARB2

going to run a torsional in the top groove.

wish me luck. thanks for your input dudes.
Seems right IMO
Good luck :D
LSP
Pro
Pro

Post by LSP »

engineguyBill wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:46 pm
All of them that I know of . . . . . . . . But you have misunderstood the statement. Second ring does not necessarily control 20% of the total combustion pressure, but rather the ring is designed as primarily an oil control ring (80% functionality) but also as a combustion pressure control ring (20% functionality). The second ring will help to control combustion pressure that is getting past the top ring via ring gap, etc. IF 20% of the combustion pressure is getting past the top ring, the engine has some serious issues.
I don't want my second ring to EVER try to control any amount of combustion pressure, that's why every motor I build gets more second ring and top oil rail gap than the top ring does, some A LOT more.
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

LSP wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:18 pm
engineguyBill wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:46 pm

I don't want my second ring to EVER try to control any amount of combustion pressure, that's why every motor I build gets more second ring and top oil rail gap than the top ring does, some A LOT more.
You will be able to sleep peacefully knowing that your second rings will help control any combustion pressure that is getting past the top ring. And some combustion pressure WILL get past the top ring via ring end gap, piston rock, cross-hatch pattern, etc., etc. Engineering nomenclature, including manufacturing prints still refer to piston rings as top compression ring, second compression ring/oil scraper and oil ring assembly. The ability of the accumulator groove to function according to design is made possible by the second ring's ability to control combustion pressure.
Bill

SAE Member (30 years)