Piston Question

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

vht
Piston Question

Post by vht »

Looking for a rotating assy for a 400 SBC, not trying to make big HP but would like 500 or so HP. There is a ton of kits out there with the KB pistons, hypereutectic alum, I was thinking they used to have a lot of problems with these. I know you have to run more gap on the top rings, anyone have any experience with these?
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Re: Piston Question

Post by Mark O'Neal »

Everyone does. It is a cast pistons. As long as you don't pretend it's not, you'd be fine.

But a forged part that is a much nicer piece isn't all that much more money.
Alan Roehrich
Guru
Guru

Post by Alan Roehrich »

vht wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:46 pm Looking for a rotating assy for a 400 SBC, not trying to make big HP but would like 500 or so HP. There is a ton of kits out there with the KB pistons, hypereutectic alum, I was thinking they used to have a lot of problems with these. I know you have to run more gap on the top rings, anyone have any experience with these?
If I were going to go that route, I'd use the Speed Pro pistons as opposed to the KB pistons. I like them better. I don't usually buy package rotating assemblies,I prefer to put my own together, and my suppliers make package deals for me.
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

A little off topic but I just had to throw this KB piston in there have you ever saw one like this weird one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alan Roehrich
Guru
Guru

Post by Alan Roehrich »

Also, Mark is correct. There are a lot of good quality affordable forgings available for that application and power level. With the advent of all of the high end companies having a dedicated entry level sub brand, excellent forged pistons are more affordable now.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Mark O'Neal wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:17 pm Everyone does. It is a cast pistons. As long as you don't pretend it's not, you'd be fine.

But a forged part that is a much nicer piece isn't all that much more money.
x2
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
bigfoot

Post by bigfoot »

Who.makes custom pistons for a ford ?
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

1972, the large groove under the top ring is a gas brake.

I have been using KB hypereutectic pistons for many years now, If you adhere to their fitment instructions you cant go wrong. That also applies to application.

Some years back an importer here standardized on KB for their performance pistons, they also bought out reps from KB/United to do piston schools, most informative. You dont see that these days.

That importer has since folded, local availability went with them. KB make some pistons that suit odd combos that i have to cover, they are readily available from Summit.

Cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

i built a 406 a year ago with the scat kit which used a 9000 series cast crank and the icon forged pistons. It went together nice and i have not seen the customer since so i think he is happy. I melted down a KB piston a number of years ago in a 500 cadillac but i'm sure there was no ones to blame but myself. However i think even a cheap forged piston such as Icon would be more forgiving.

The only thing i would have prefered in the 400 kit was if .020 would have been available. I don't trust 400's at .030 for very long.
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Post by Alaskaracer »

bigfoot wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:07 pm Who.makes custom pistons for a ford ?
More like who doesn't. Pretty much any piston manufacturer that does custom pistons can.
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

Coloradoracer wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:04 pm
bigfoot wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:07 pm Who.makes custom pistons for a ford ?
More like who doesn't. Pretty much any piston manufacturer that does custom pistons can.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Most, if not all, high performance piston manufacturers use very sophisticated CNC machines, therefore the designs they have available for specific applications is pretty much unlimited. Any of them will be able to supply the pistons you need.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist