Ford's Mystery Fix Explained

Tech questions that don't fit above forums

Moderator: Team

Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Ford's Mystery Fix Explained

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
peejay
Guru
Guru
Re: Ford's Mystery Fix Explained

Post by peejay »

GLHS60 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:02 am Possibly this is for 4 cyl Engines??

Ford has issues with some V6 Engines.

Apparently their internal water pumps leak coolant into the crank case.

Thanks
Randy

https://www.wcpo.com/money/consumer/don ... some-fords
No different than any other engine with a timing chain driven water pump. Chrysler, Nissan, GM, and more do it.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

D1688CF7-BAE0-4100-8C8D-122E60DF38B1.jpeg

https://www.fordescape.org/threads/fiel ... 378/page-4
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

GLHS60 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:27 pm Interesting, leaking coolant into the cylinder bores, possibly a marginal head gasket design??
I have a highly turbocharged 83mm bore Volvo. I have a head gasket failure, and while I have the head off I am going to shore up the block by hammering shims into the relief slots cut into the deck between the bores, because the blocks are known to crack there. Indeed, the ring wear pattern on the bores suggests that the block is flexing to an incredible degree! I should take pictures tomorrow.

From what I have been able to gather, the 1.5 and 1.6 Ecoboosts have the same failure point, and it sounds like the 2.0 Ecoboosts do too. The block cracks at the top, resulting in coolant loss and combustion gas pressurization.

I haven't watched the video, because I'm not going to listen to some guy yakking in front of a camera for six minutes when I could read a few paragraphs in less time.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Since WE are on the topic of Ford screw-ups, how are they doing with the 12,000,000,000 or so(??) little cars with the bad trans in them they sold before killing the transmission, IF Ford did indeed stop making/selling that transmission design??

Their Focus and Festiva cars if not mistaken??

Seems the cars with the bad tranny design were sold from 2001 or 2 up until 2012 or 13.....

A lot of them out there.............

pdq67
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

pdq67 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:55 am Since WE are on the topic of Ford screw-ups, how are they doing with the 12,000,000,000 or so(??) little cars with the bad trans in them they sold before killing the transmission, IF Ford did indeed stop making/selling that transmission design??

Seems the cars with the bad tranny design were sold from 2001 or 2 up until 2012 or 13.....

pdq67
Snuggle in for some videos. Steve Lehto has been very active in that area:

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CH ... CAw&uact=5
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

pdq67 wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:55 am Since WE are on the topic of Ford screw-ups, how are they doing with the 12,000,000,000 or so(??) little cars with the bad trans in them they sold before killing the transmission, IF Ford did indeed stop making/selling that transmission design??

pdq67
They are newer than that.

I'm driving a Focus with the twin clutch transmission every day right now while my Volvo is laid up. It drives "different" than normal twin clutch automatics, it feels more like a manual trans than an automatic. Probably because it has dry clutches instead of wet clutches.

The story I hear and believe is that people who drive with bad habits you can get with automatics, like constantly creeping forward at lights a little bit 3-4 times before the light turns green, are the people who have all of the shuddering trans problems. That will burn up the clutch in a manual trans too! If you drive it like it's a manual and just stay stopped after you stop, and go when you want to go, they work just fine.

I have a feeling that nobody in Ford's road testing facility drives like idiots so this issue did not come up during durability testing. Just like a lot of the issues with Diesel emissions contols are due to people leaving their trucks idling all the time while they go into a store, or driving around town like it's a really big scooter, and never working the truck hard often enough.

It's also definitely not a little car. The Focus is about the size that a Taurus used to be! If I remember right the RS model is pushing 3500lb+ too.
Last edited by peejay on Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

GLHS60 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:49 pm I'm not sure if you're criticizing my post or not and I don't know anything about Volvo's.

The "leaking coolant into the cylinder bores" came directly from the Ford bulletin Kevin posted.
I've seen lots of imagery of Ford engine blocks cracking out on top, like Volvos used to, is what I'm getting at. Acts just like a failed head gasket.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

GLHS60 wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:07 pm Peejay, honestly I thought you were joking when you said you were going to:

"shore up the block by hammering shims into the relief slots cut into the deck between the bores"

I thought you were quoting some obscure internet post by someone after I posted Fords statement:

"Interesting, leaking coolant into the cylinder bores" possibly a marginal head gasket design??

I guess its worse than a marginal design if the cylinders are cracking.

Still no disrespect intended, I clearly misunderstood your post :oops:

I'm a great fan of Turbocharged 4 cylinders and my preference are the ancient Chrysler 2.2/2.5's.

These are only SOHC 8 V Engines but have proven to be extremely durable over the decades.

As there are no aftermarket parts available we have to rely on junkyard and homemade stuff.

I only run 24 PSI but many run into the 40 PSI range like my internet pal James Reeves'.

Vid below of his Drag Week Dodge Omni GLH Turbo, interesting durability comment at the end!!

Thanks
Randy

peejay wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:45 am
GLHS60 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:49 pm I'm not sure if you're criticizing my post or not and I don't know anything about Volvo's.

The "leaking coolant into the cylinder bores" came directly from the Ford bulletin Kevin posted.
I've seen lots of imagery of Ford engine blocks cracking out on top, like Volvos used to, is what I'm getting at. Acts just like a failed head gasket.
I want to say that stock, those engines top-ends gave up at something like 60,000 miles or so if not mistaken.

Unless I am thinking about the Omni/Horizon non-OHC heads here IF they made the two designs at the same time.

pdq67
4vpc
Pro
Pro

Post by 4vpc »

peejay wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:51 pm I haven't watched the video, because I'm not going to listen to some guy yakking in front of a camera for six minutes when I could read a few paragraphs in less time.
I'm one one minute in and am bored stupid by this guy so have switched off, like a lot of people on YT he could have summed it up in 1 minute flat.
There is no S on the end of RPM.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Even being economical with the words, listening to someone read off a screen is painful and boring because the average person (a recent ex-president excluded) speaks ~125 words per minute but reads double that or more. At the end of a speed reading course I took decades ago, I went from 400 WPM to 1800, with improved comprehension as a bonus.

(Kevin: I expect you'll verify this for yourself if you don't already know it; keep us posted. :lol: )
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

MadBill wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:09 pm Even being economical with the words, listening to someone read off a screen is painful and boring because the average person (a recent ex-president excluded) speaks ~125 words per minute but reads double that or more. At the end of a speed reading course I took decades ago, I went from 400 WPM to 1800, with improved comprehension as a bonus.

(Kevin: I expect you'll verify this for yourself if you don't already know it; keep us posted. :lol: )
Steve Lehto is enjoyable for many people to watch and/or listen to while they are doing another task -- similar to listening to the radio (he was a DJ as well -- the woman who speaks at the opening and close is a Canadian DJ). He is a historian and has written books on a number of famous vehicles for automotive enthusiasts that need to transcend normal aural data acquisition rates. :lol:

https://www.google.com/search?q=steve+lehto+books:
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

Kevin Johnson wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:10 am Steve Lehto is enjoyable for many people to watch and/or listen to while they are doing another task -- similar to listening to the radio (he was a DJ as well -- the woman who speaks at the opening and close is a Canadian DJ). He is a historian and has written books on a number of famous vehicles for automotive enthusiasts that need to transcend normal aural data acquisition rates. :lol:
That's just the difference between people I guess. I cannot STAND listening to talk radio while I am trying to work, it is too distracting. It takes too much brainpower to intercept and interpret verbal communication to be able to work while it is happening. I'd rather hear nothing but the sound of tools being used, or generic mixed music with a constant beat, like the sort of thing The Kleptones or Ursula 1000 or anyone else who does a 1-2 hour long set will produce.

Someone once told me that the biggest consumer of podcasts are extroverts who cannot handle being all alone while driving to work or whatever and need to hear someone talking to feel comfortable. That sounds horrifying, my ideal day is one where I don't have to talk to anybody from the time I wake up to the time I fall asleep!
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

I always liked working the night shift because none of the, "bosses", were around to bother me and it was usually quite and the plant wasn't running so full air and water pressure and power were all good.

say 7:00 PM to 7:00 AM here except around 3:30 AM to dawn, I got sleepy!

pdq67
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

pdq67 wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:34 am I always liked working the night shift because none of the, "bosses", were around to bother me and it was usually quite and the plant wasn't running so full air and water pressure and power were all good.

say 7:00 PM to 7:00 AM here except around 3:30 AM to dawn, I got sleepy!

pdq67
In Detroit I would change the lab intercom radio station to WXYZ and listen to old radio shows like The Shadow. I enjoyed listening to Mark Scott too (Excelsior !).