General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Caprimaniac
Guru
Guru

Glue for extensions on heater core lines

Post by Caprimaniac »

Hello.

Upgrading my street "racer" yhis Winter; engine rebuild, brakes Upgrade and now also getting heat to the driver compartment....

Heater core has steel pipes sticking through the firewall. Previously cut down in lenght because engine is placed very far rearwards.They are steel (or brass)?

Had some 90 deg cooling hose fittings lying around. And luckily a drillbit With diameter matching the steel pipes. So, I'm pushing the 90 deg fittings onto the steel pipes from the heater core.... And it's gonna keep my feet warm and windscreen mist-free.

What you suggest for a Chemical that keep it all leak free? Epoxy? Loctite 603?

Thanks, chemxperts.
How to turn GURU in an instant.....
Nefario

Re: Glue for extensions on heater core lines

Post by Nefario »

Is solder a chemical? And yes, you can solder steel, especially with the lap joint you're describing. Use "real" tin/lead solder for easy wetting of the parts, not lead free.

If the core is all metal I suspect it's soldered brass which would be extremely easy to solder. If it's plastic with crimped-on ends the metal could be aluminum which would require special solder and some luck.
Dave
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Caprimaniac wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:39 pm Hello.

Upgrading my street "racer" yhis Winter; engine rebuild, brakes Upgrade and now also getting heat to the driver compartment....

Heater core has steel pipes sticking through the firewall. Previously cut down in lenght because engine is placed very far rearwards.They are steel (or brass)?

Had some 90 deg cooling hose fittings lying around. And luckily a drillbit With diameter matching the steel pipes. So, I'm pushing the 90 deg fittings onto the steel pipes from the heater core.... And it's gonna keep my feet warm and windscreen mist-free.

What you suggest for a Chemical that keep it all leak free? Epoxy? Loctite 603?

Thanks, chemxperts.
I would use "extended dry time J B Weld epoxy" for that.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Caprimaniac
Guru
Guru

Post by Caprimaniac »

Nefario wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:10 pm Is solder a chemical? And yes, you can solder steel, especially with the lap joint you're describing. Use "real" tin/lead solder for easy wetting of the parts, not lead free.

If the core is all metal I suspect it's soldered brass which would be extremely easy to solder. If it's plastic with crimped-on ends the metal could be aluminum which would require special solder and some luck.
Solder is a Chemical... No bout. What is not Chemicals? Things like EM Waves, gravity.... Maybe plasma?

That's an argument, if the bends had been copper, brass etc. But they're plastic. But; if I had some bends in the right diameter, it might have been a better option than the plastic (reinforced BTW) bends.

So. I will go With Malik's suggestion. As was the answer my pal gave me thr other day. Argument was there won't be a tight enough Space between the two pipes as to harden the Loctite.

Thanks for confirming, Walter.
How to turn GURU in an instant.....
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Caprimaniac wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:53 am
Nefario wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:10 pm Is solder a chemical? And yes, you can solder steel, especially with the lap joint you're describing. Use "real" tin/lead solder for easy wetting of the parts, not lead free.

Solder is a Chemical... No bout. What is not Chemicals? Things like EM Waves, gravity.... Maybe plasma?

That's an argument, if the bends had been copper, brass etc. But they're plastic. But; if I had some bends in the right diameter, it might have been a better option than the plastic (reinforced BTW) bends.

So. I will go With Malik's suggestion. As was the answer my pal gave me thr other day. Argument was there won't be a tight enough Space between the two pipes as to harden the Loctite.

Thanks for confirming, Walter.
Be sure to use original "J B WELD" as substitutes do not usually share the high temperature rating.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Nefario

Post by Nefario »

Caprimaniac wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:39 pmHeater core has steel pipes sticking through the firewall. Previously cut down in lenght because engine is placed very far rearwards.They are steel (or brass)?
Caprimaniac wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:53 am.... if the bends had been copper, brass etc. But they're plastic. But; if I had some bends in the right diameter, it might have been a better option than the plastic (reinforced BTW) bends.
.....okeh..... [-X
Dave