Choosing the right shaft mounted rocker arms

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

hotrodhp
Choosing the right shaft mounted rocker arms

Post by hotrodhp »

I’m having a hard time deciding which kind of shaft mounted rocker arm to go with. Jesel pro aluminum, pro steel, T&D, are one I have briefly researched. Getting mixed feedback from each manufacturer. Application will be a 383 sbc, 7800 rpm, 600hp with occasional 200 shot of nitrous. May hit the track 2-3 weekends a year and driven on the street the other weekends. Definitely after service life of a steel rocker, but is it overkill... and pricey too. Thanks in advance.
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Re: Choosing the right shaft mounted rocker arms

Post by mt-engines »

hotrodhp wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:35 pm I’m having a hard time deciding which kind of shaft mounted rocker arm to go with. Jesel pro aluminum, pro steel, T&D, are one I have briefly researched. Getting mixed feedback from each manufacturer. Application will be a 383 sbc, 7800 rpm, 600hp with occasional 200 shot of nitrous. May hit the track 2-3 weekends a year and driven on the street the other weekends. Definitely after service life of a steel rocker, but is it overkill... and pricey too. Thanks in advance.
With that kind of hp goal, you wont need to buzz it 7800. Even then stud mounts with a girdle are fine, you wont neesd much lift or spring pressure.

Im a fan of TD, thwy never let me down. LGM are also a decent rocker for the price, scorpion. Etc

I csnt say anything about jesel as i have not used them for mant years due to personal preference.
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

Crower steel shaft........good price.

But crower steel stud rockers with girdle would be my choice at that hp level.
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Crower Steel Shaft rockers.....good price. What are you calling a good price and what part number ?? Mark H. :?:
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

There is several Crower options depending on ratio you want and how much off set you need or want.
Used them for 30 years+ never had a failure on various oval track stuff up to 8600.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
hotrodhp

Post by hotrodhp »

Spoke with rep from Jesel today, and he said a pro aluminum was sufficient ($1,700)... spoke with T&D and he said steel by all means ($2,600). Don’t know much about LGM... but I do realize it’s relatively low HP for this kind of option.

On another note, I will need a .220 offset to run 3/8 pushrods and I’m fairly certain 3/8 won’t work with my stud mount rockers on my AFR heads.. (5/16) are right close as it is.
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

hotrodhp wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:18 am Spoke with rep from Jesel today, and he said a pro aluminum was sufficient ($1,700)... spoke with T&D and he said steel by all means ($2,600). Don’t know much about LGM... but I do realize it’s relatively low HP for this kind of option.

On another note, I will need a .220 offset to run 3/8 pushrods and I’m fairly certain 3/8 won’t work with my stud mount rockers on my AFR heads.. (5/16) are right close as it is.
You do not need steel.. Talk to Sheldon at TD. The only side to have them is exhaust if you want them. I have run a few sets of LGM on AFR heads and they have worked great, mid 700hp builds .510 lobe lift . 800lbs open woth no issues.

As far as pushrods, if you dont have much spring, use .105" wall Trend 5/16".
houser45
Pro
Pro

Post by houser45 »

I use t&d on all my circle track stuff, but their steel ones are pretty pricey, for wanting to save money and have durability the only option would be Crower stainless steel shaft.
Caprimaniac
Guru
Guru

Post by Caprimaniac »

Have learned that going With one of the big ones, Jesel or Crower, is the best option.

At Your Power Level (how argressive the cam profile is, guessing here...) I would say an alum rocker would do the job.

However, nitro might change the story- have no xperience With the stuff.

JMHO from MOX (My own experience)
How to turn GURU in an instant.....
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

I have wondered about the strength and so on about S.S. rocker arms over the years. Generally speaking S.S. is not strong as we think about high quality engine parts, however there are MANY different types of S.S. . That being said some of the S.S. rockers may be fine, however the very best steel rocker arms are some kind of alloy steel that is not made public, at least not with T & D . Personally i would consider Comp.'s Pro Magnum.....i believe is what they call them with girdles, JMO. Mark H.
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

swampbuggy wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:01 pm Crower Steel Shaft rockers.....good price. What are you calling a good price and what part number ?? Mark H. :?:
They are around $1000 cheaper than the t&d, don't know if jesel make their new steel shaft rockers for the afr heads yet.
steve316
Expert
Expert

Post by steve316 »

Any of the Jesel, t&d aluminum. would be over kill. The Comp shaft rockers are made for them by t&d. This is based on my own use; I bought some nascar take offs ran them over 700 passes at over 9000 rpm on each pass. this engine had 350# seat 1000# over the nose. I still run these rockers on 7800 rpm 824hp engine. Aluminum is all they used for years, and when you can use a set for 20 years with no problem I see no reason to run steel unless you are running nascar or one of the pro classes in nhra . JMHO I hope this helps with your choice.
novafornow
Pro
Pro

Post by novafornow »

I am a fan of the Crower system. Has been very reliable. By the time you buy studs, rockers, and girdles; the price is not much more.
Abbottracingheads
Expert
Expert

Post by Abbottracingheads »

T&D are the best whichever way you go steel or aluminum.
Abbott Racing Heads and Engines
curtis reed

Post by curtis reed »

I look at it differently than some on here. When is overkill a bad thing if it doesn't hinder HP or slow you down and adds more reliability and durability? Just like you don't need an aftermarket block only making 500hp, there isn't a downside. I called Jesel last month for a steel rocker set for my SBC and I was told they weren't ready yet. Maybe they are now I don't know. T&D steel would be more than acceptable I believe. I have aluminum shafts now and will at some point move to steel. The aluminum has served me well but I am going to change ratio and material at the same time. Less deflection and more durability. Win win. If the price is agreeable to you and you can then do it. JMO though.

Curtis