SBC 383 two part silly question

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

gordon
HotPass
HotPass

SBC 383 two part silly question

Post by gordon »

Found a super clean already bored(.020) 90' block. Roller style block but never had a roller cam in it. I was going to use grooving tool in lifter bores to put Hyd. flat tappet cam in for budget build. Will the additional oiling to the end of the lifter provided by the grooving cause a problem if cam was replaced with hyd. roller style in future. Hate to ruin the block for roller use in future. Second part of question I was sold some Edelbrock Aluminum heads and later told that they have powdered metal seats . Literature says head not for hydraulic roller cams. I can see the springs might be substandard but did not realize the seats were not up to use with street hyd cam. Input please.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Re: SBC 383 two part silly question

Post by mag2555 »

I don't know for sure if the added groove would be a issue once a roller type lifter was used, but I can see where it could !

To circumvent that potential issue use use a hydro lifter with the added oil hole in its foot, like in the EDM type.

Your other question I can't help you fully on, but I would say EDELBROCK would be the ones to speak to and I would bet that al long as hydro roller seat pressures don't go above 150lb and rpm wise above 6500 that the powdered seats would be ok.

Please respond back when you get a definitive answer as I would like to know myself!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
gordon
HotPass
HotPass

Post by gordon »

Heard back from Edelbrock, Said these heads are their answer to compete with the offshore stuff. Said the valves are to heavy and that most hyd roller cams people use are too aggressive on closing and would kill the seats especially with the higher spring pressures. This is to be a 5500 rpm at max truck torque motor for a 58 GMC . Original eng. I was going to use for this was worn completely out(76' 350) , small valve heads(1.8") . Found in my stash the roller block mentioned that just needs a good cleaning and fresh brgs. .020" bores show no wear, no ridge , cross hatch still there. So decided to buy stroker crank and rods and pistons and build flat tappet 380" with no machine work necessary . Except to add groove to lifter bores to help cam life . If I had known about the limitation of these heads I would have spent the money saved from no block work on buying better heads. Dart or brodix. Probably just sell these and buy better heads and do Hyd roller now. Just Kills the budget . Gonna start looking on line at what Dart and brodix etc. offer in the 180 cc int versions.
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Font rule out a usedrebuilt set of iron Vortec heads drilled for a regular Intake bolt pattern !
All you would need to do is change out the springs and even then you would should be ahead of the fully new head price game.
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
jeff swisher
Guru
Guru

Post by jeff swisher »

Use a GM type roller cam like the LT4 Hot cam.
218-228@ .050 .492" lift with 1.5 rockers and it made to be used with 1.6 rockers.
Mild Lobes and it will rev when you need it to.

Buddy stuck one into his 355" with stock iron LT1 heads it liked to be shifted at 6500rpm.

I had him grind me a cam off the same masters but use the exhaust lobe master on intake side also I wanted more duration on intake side as I was using ported 906 heads and left the 1.94-1.50 valves in them.

To keep spring pressure in check i used a Beehive spring sold by Trickflow but made by Pac. 130 on the seat and 284 open pressure..Which will not hurt any seats ever.
It is a 313 spring rate .
That little roller cam will rev to 7000 rpm in my 357".

I would do that 313 rate ovate beehive spring with the tiny. light retainers available for them.

I also ran the other spring they offer with 110 seat pressure 313 rate in another 350" i have and using the 280H comp magnum cam.
230 duration at .050 and .480" lift ported 601 heads 1.84-1.50 valves. That one will rev just as well 7000+ when all is tuned up right.

I Ported a set of edelbrock 5089 heads for a friend and ran the 280H on a 106LSA kept the stock springs and when he took it to the track best shift point was 7000 rpm.
I have no idea what heads you got from edelbrock but I like the 5089 so far.
That is 2 people I personally knoe raced against that have those heads.
The other guy has the XE268H and shifts his at 6500 rpm.. Not ported on that set.

5089 is the etec or e street head
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

If buying new how about looking at the 185 profiler in same price range as dart and brodix Ik. Made in ohio and I think Darrin Morgan was there when they were being made.
cv67
Guru
Guru

Post by cv67 »

interested in the original question
jeff swisher
Guru
Guru

Post by jeff swisher »

Here is an older read on lifter bore grooving.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30018

Hope that helps with the original question.