front end problem in 76 nova drag car

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

chevy art
Pro
Pro
front end problem in 76 nova drag car

Post by chevy art »

my buddy has a 67 novs drag car that runs 9. with nitrous and 10.1 with just gasgline with brake and 625 horses with just carb. car always launches straight as an arrow comes up evenly and lifts both wheels about a foot off the groune and gradually settles down as he goes down the track(moroso trick slinky springs and 90-10 shocks in front. rear haa 14inch slicks and a ladder bar with mono leafs and sliders and good adjustable strange shocks on back. car always launches perfect and straight. . last time out the car launched and right away the right front side went down drastically and the car veered severely to the right, car sits perfect in the front at dead rest. he took the front end apart on that side and checked everything thoroughly and found nothing wrong. he replaced the springs and shock anyway(same as what was on there before), and the car still goes down(right side) drastically under takeoff load. i got in front on the car(way up the road ) and watched and it scarred me to death watching it lean towards the ground../ i suspect from the beginning that it had something to do with the rear ladder bars and adjustments(preload) problems. so far he has not found anything visibly loose except the right front bolt that holds the front of ladder bar(passenger side)> to front mount it was totally loose but still in the front mount housing. could this one loose bolt be the problem? none of the front adjusters on ladder bar moved to change preload. could there be a broken slider that we are not seeing. broken shock mount(drivers side?) (pass. side?) bad shackle. any input would be appreciated. i am going to get behind it next time we test it and see what kind of movement is on each side of ca when he take off under some power>. maybe this will tell us something. thanks for help art peterson in NY
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Re: front end problem in 76 nova drag car

Post by SupStk »

First thing I'd look at is the ladder bars, brackets and heim ends. Sounds like something is broken.

Loose tube in axle housing?
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
chevy art
Pro
Pro

Post by chevy art »

thanks sup. i have suspected since day 1 it was something in rear suspension. loose axle housing sounds like it could be a real problem if one of the tubes welds broke where it meets center section.. something to look at. will look at every little thing i hear from you guys on the forum. i myself have not gotten under the car yet, but just watched itlaunch..my buddy is only one under the car so far. my turn to go under and start looking at everything. thanks for reply chevy art
chevy art
Pro
Pro

Post by chevy art »

PS it is a 67 nova not a 76 nova.definitely different suspension in front of car art
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

if the front wheels are both up, and then it starts dropping one side before the other, it is definately in the back end somewhere.
chevy art
Pro
Pro

Post by chevy art »

right front bumper dives down hard as soon as the gas is hit. art
pitts64

Post by pitts64 »

I would switch rear tires from side to side..
BirdMan
Expert
Expert

Post by BirdMan »

Right ladder mounting is ripping loose from axle tube or axle tube spinning in rear housing where you can't see it. You could try jacking up right axle / wheel while all are on ground after making alignment marks on tube and housing to see movement. There should be some rotation/movement easy to spot.
Dale C.
chevy art
Pro
Pro

Post by chevy art »

thank you bird man. sup stk had also mentioned that it could be a loose axle tube. as soon as this mess i over with and we can get back to normal, we will inspect the whole rear suspension and chassis. he already replaced the front suspension and still has the problem.we will find this problem thanks to the recommendations of our great members on this forum art in NY
BirdMan
Expert
Expert

Post by BirdMan »

Son had his 64 Falcon lifting left side leaving the line so I looked and tube was fracturing (This was a take out of my 65 Falcon 4 spd car and it was getting fatigued.. He was winning rounds so I kept an eye on cracking axle tube on 9" early housing. He then got my then current 9" modified housing and I built myself a new style 9" and shortened slightly using a jig.
Dale C.