Original 327 going back in my 64 Corvette with mods

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

bosco
Original 327 going back in my 64 Corvette with mods

Post by bosco »

I posted last year about putting my original 327 back in my very nice 1964 Roadster. Might not be the safest or smartest thing to do but I want it back in the car. I loved the way it revved back in the day versus the big block grunt of the 383 stroker and I just want it to have the original in it. I am having my engine builder use the original small journal steel crank, forged rods and pistons. I am not going to use the original 461 heads as I don't want to spend a bunch of money on crack prone 56 year old castings. I have a set of Trick Flow Twisted wedge aluminum heads that will be professionally ported. They will get painted orange and topped with Corvette script valve covers. I will likely use a port matched L79 intake with my 750 Holley. I am thinking of using the Comp Cams 280 H .480 230/230 ( a small step up from there nostalgia plus 350 HP cam) To the untrained eye it will look similar to the 64 327/340 HP motor.

My goal is 400 HP and close to 400 torque at about 10.5 compression. I think it will be close but doable.

The car does have Vintage Air (which works well) but manual brakes (Wilwood 4 piston discs). Stops decently.

Opinions on the efficiency of this combo appreciated. As I said not worried about saving the motor for resale value.

I will be 68 y.o. soon and will never sell the car and neither will my daughters (they love it, part of their childhood). So, I do not care about the relative risk of using the original block.
RevTheory
Guru
Guru
Re: Original 327 going back in my 64 Corvette with mods

Post by RevTheory »

That cam is going to be pretty nasty in a 327 so be sure that's what you're ok with.
bosco

Post by bosco »

RevTheory wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:36 am That cam is going to be pretty nasty in a 327 so be sure that's what you're ok with.
I am a bit concerned about that, however does not seem all that much different than the Nostalgia Comp 350 HP cam, which is like .467 229/236 versus .480 230/230.
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

For a small displacement performance engine I always thought about using one of these...https://www.summitracing.com/parts/crn- ... /chevrolet... It should produce a nice sounding idle, have nice midrange, but not be so big as to kill the bottom end torque. A 1.6 rocker on the intake would get the lift a little higher.
So much to do, so little time...
bosco

Post by bosco »

rfoll wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:19 am For a small displacement performance engine I always thought about using one of these...https://www.summitracing.com/parts/crn- ... /chevrolet... It should produce a nice sounding idle, have nice midrange, but not be so big as to kill the bottom end torque. A 1.6 rocker on the intake would get the lift a little higher.
Looks like a good replacement for the factory 327/300 HP cam. When the 327 was in the car before it had the 350 HP cam, which was pretty sweet. Back then it was strong enough to whip a nicely restored 69 GTO Judge from a roll. (not by much though)
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

bosco wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:54 am I posted last year about putting my original 327 back in my very nice 1964 Roadster. Might not be the safest or smartest thing to do but I want it back in the car. I loved the way it revved back in the day versus the big block grunt of the 383 stroker and I just want it to have the original in it. I am having my engine builder use the original small journal steel crank, forged rods and pistons. I am not going to use the original 461 heads as I don't want to spend a bunch of money on crack prone 56 year old castings. I have a set of Trick Flow Twisted wedge aluminum heads that will be professionally ported. They will get painted orange and topped with Corvette script valve covers. I will likely use a port matched L79 intake with my 750 Holley. I am thinking of using the Comp Cams 280 H .480 230/230 ( a small step up from there nostalgia plus 350 HP cam) To the untrained eye it will look similar to the 64 327/340 HP motor.

My goal is 400 HP and close to 400 torque at about 10.5 compression. I think it will be close but doable.

The car does have Vintage Air (which works well) but manual brakes (Wilwood 4 piston discs). Stops decently.

Opinions on the efficiency of this combo appreciated. As I said not worried about saving the motor for resale value.

I will be 68 y.o. soon and will never sell the car and neither will my daughters (they love it, part of their childhood). So, I do not care about the relative risk of using the original block.
Personally, in that application, I would use the Trick Flow aluminum heads with the "double hump" copy on the ends.
I believe the Comp Cams 268AH, (12-318-4), would better resemble the running of the original cam but, a step-up; 222/226.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
bosco

Post by bosco »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:48 am
bosco wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:54 am I posted last year about putting my original 327 back in my very nice 1964 Roadster. Might not be the safest or smartest thing to do but I want it back in the car. I loved the way it revved back in the day versus the big block grunt of the 383 stroker and I just want it to have the original in it. I am having my engine builder use the original small journal steel crank, forged rods and pistons. I am not going to use the original 461 heads as I don't want to spend a bunch of money on crack prone 56 year old castings. I have a set of Trick Flow Twisted wedge aluminum heads that will be professionally ported. They will get painted orange and topped with Corvette script valve covers. I will likely use a port matched L79 intake with my 750 Holley. I am thinking of using the Comp Cams 280 H .480 230/230 ( a small step up from there nostalgia plus 350 HP cam) To the untrained eye it will look similar to the 64 327/340 HP motor.

Personally, in that application, I would use the Trick Flow aluminum heads with the "double hump" copy on the ends.
I believe the Comp Cams 268AH, (12-318-4), would better resemble the running of the original cam but, a step-up; 222/226.
Those are really sweet heads that flow very well...but I already have a set of the older twisted wedges and can get them ported reasonably.
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

What version 1rst or 2nd in the trick flow twisted heads ? Ya the new trick flow camel hump heads would be great for what your doing. They will flow more air then that 327 is going to use no porting needed. I suspect also trick flow has come a long way in making aluminum heads just like all the american manufactured heads since the days of the twisted flow sbc head.
Last edited by Little Mouse on Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

bosco wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:54 am I loved the way it revved back in the day versus the big block grunt of the 383 stroker
His car, his money, his decision. We're all entitled to our own opinions, but not to our own facts. How many agree that a 400hp street 327" will pull to revs quicker/faster than an equally well-built 383'?
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

I've built two 327s recently

1. .040 flattop, small journal, mild ported 462 heads, Summit dual plane, Isky 270 Mega cam. 362 HP Don't remember TQ.
2. ,030 11.1, small journal, ported 462 heads, Performer RPM intake, Isky 480/480/240/240/108, 447 HP @ 6600 RPM 400TQ @ one RPM point.
Racing a NA NHRA stocker should be mandatory before any posting.
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

PackardV8 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:03 pm
bosco wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:54 am I loved the way it revved back in the day versus the big block grunt of the 383 stroker
His car, his money, his decision. We're all entitled to our own opinions, but not to our own facts. How many agree that a 400hp street 327" will pull to revs quicker/faster than an equally well-built 383'?
I don't know about that....but the # 2 327 I built ran high 13s in my 1/2 ton 79 long bed with a 3.07 open rear end @ 8000 feet DA. I believe it would run 12s with a 5.38 gear, which would put it close to 11s @ sea level conditions. Truck weighs 4100 pounds.

I ask myself often why I wasted my time building a 327 since I really want to put a 454 in the truck. I couldn't resist this virgin 67 100.00 327 core, and wanted to show my son what could be done with parts some people would throw away, the projected worked, the truck has been a lot of fun and a great learning experience for my son. Now I got to have a 454 in there!
Racing a NA NHRA stocker should be mandatory before any posting.
bosco

Post by bosco »

Little Mouse wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:00 pm What version 1rst or 2nd in the trick flow twisted heads ? Ya the new trick flow camel hump heads would be great for what your doing. They will flow more air then that 327 is going to use no porting needed. I suspect also trick flow has come a long way in making aluminum heads just like all the american manufactured heads since the days of the twisted flow sbc head.
That is a good question...they were purchased new in 2001. I talked to a TF tech guy, while he would have loved to sell me a set of the new vintage type heads, he said my ported twisted wedges would perform very well.
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

Can you do the porting work yourself if not what cost for porting. So you port the heads for better high lift flow but are not the twisted wedge heads limited to lift with a 23 degree piston notch. You wont be limited with the new head. Lot of guide problems with the first design twisted wedge a lot of it probably wrong intake rocker used. If your heads are used and heat cycled a lot or ever overheated what is the chance a seat will come lose from the aluminum head. In the last 19 years do they have better known ways to put seats in aluminum head today.
Last edited by Little Mouse on Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bosco

Post by bosco »

[[/img]
Little Mouse wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:36 pm Can you do the porting work yourself if not what cost for porting. So you port the heads for better high lift flow but are not the twisted wedge heads limited to lift with a 23 degree piston notch. You wont be limited with the new head.
I think about 600 for the port work by a respected pro. Aren't the new TF Vintage head also 23 degree. My Brodix -8 23 degree heads make 582 HP at 8000 on our 327 12.4 to 1 dry sump road race motor in our 1968 Tube frame IMSA AAGT type road race Corvette.
Little Mouse
Expert
Expert

Post by Little Mouse »

bosco wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:41 pm
Little Mouse wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:36 pm Can you do the porting work yourself if not what cost for porting. So you port the heads for better high lift flow but are not the twisted wedge heads limited to lift with a 23 degree piston notch. You wont be limited with the new head.
I think about 600 for the port work by a respected pro. Aren't the new TF Vintage head also 23 degree. My Brodix -8 23 degree heads make 582 HP at 8000 on our 327 12.4 to 1 dry sump road race motor in our 1968 Tube frame IMSA AAGT type road race Corvette.
Yes they are and they throw in the double hump look of original for free lol. Back in 84 I bought a brand new set of Chevy bowtie 2 iron heads never did use them, so about 5 years ago I'm looking at the old outdated knowledge of the combustion chambers and I thought you know I'll step out of the 1980s and go for modern thought and design and sold them. Was not going to spend any time or money on them even though they were still in the box new did not need any reworking. The new trick flow head they say is 175 runner flows 250 cfm enough to support 500 hp and they say its plenty thick if you wanted to port it for a bigger engine. But what's that saying in street cars. I think its if you have a smaller runner but that flows real well you end up with better throttle response everywhere then a bigger volume head that flows no more. Of course if your racing at high rpm all the time it's a bit of a moot point. But I'm thinking a 327 driven on the streets needs a nice new modern head JMO. Lol