New lifters on the way !!

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

GuysMonteSS
HotPass
HotPass

New lifters on the way !!

Post by GuysMonteSS »

Mike Lewis is helping me with a set of Isky EZ-Roll Helix design bushed solid roller lifters.
The current ones are 5 years old,they are an older Isky EZX bushed version,and I want to replace them before they de-laminate like the previous ones.
I'm hoping that longevity of these ones is an increase over the old ones.
http://www.iskycams.com/downloads/ISKY- ... yer119.pdf
Guy
'86 Monte SS,513 BBC,AFR heads,Bullet solid roller cam,Doug Nash 4+1 5 speed,Hurst Inline Shifter,Ford 9 inch Rearend.
1972ho
Guru
Guru
Re: New lifters on the way !!

Post by 1972ho »

I like it that they give that max spring load of the lifter looks like 1400# those lifter would last my type of camshaft forever.
GuysMonteSS
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GuysMonteSS »

1972ho wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:09 pm I like it that they give that max spring load of the lifter looks like 1400# those lifter would last my type of camshaft forever.
I'm hoping that they last a long,long time.
Guy
'86 Monte SS,513 BBC,AFR heads,Bullet solid roller cam,Doug Nash 4+1 5 speed,Hurst Inline Shifter,Ford 9 inch Rearend.
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

GuysMonteSS wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:22 pm
1972ho wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:09 pm I like it that they give that max spring load of the lifter looks like 1400# those lifter would last my type of camshaft forever.
Guy
Did you look at buying the black mamba or the Camking's EVO lifters?
GuysMonteSS
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GuysMonteSS »

bob460 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:56 pm
GuysMonteSS wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:22 pm

Guy
Did you look at buying the black mamba or the Camking's EVO lifters?
No I didnt.
I knew what I wanted.
Guy
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

GuysMonteSS wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:53 pm Mike Lewis is helping me with a set of Isky EZ-Roll Helix design bushed solid roller lifters.
The current ones are 5 years old,they are an older Isky EZX bushed version,and I want to replace them before they de-laminate like the previous ones.
Guy
If you feel you want the rollers changed thats no problem.
The original Johnson lifters not to be confused with "Hi-lift johnson" make them for Isky exclusively and replacement wheels are no problem.
Mike Lewis being a dealer can get that done for you no problem.
I use lots of sets of them in marine builds since they came out because they do not fail like needle bearing lifters have.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
MELWAY
Guru
Guru

Post by MELWAY »

ProPower engines wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:40 pm
GuysMonteSS wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:53 pm Mike Lewis is helping me with a set of Isky EZ-Roll Helix design bushed solid roller lifters.
Guy
If you feel you want the rollers changed thats no problem.
The original Johnson lifters not to be confused with "Hi-lift johnson" make them for Isky exclusively and replacement wheels are no problem.
I use lots of sets of them in marine builds since they came out because they do not fail like needle bearing lifters have.
What kind of spring pressures and lift and how long are you running these bush lifters ?
We are always battling needle failure on serious street engines.
Still unsure of bush lifters in long term stop start street race engines
3370lb Sedan 9.89@136MPH 358chevN/A
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

MELWAY wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:34 am
ProPower engines wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:40 pm If you feel you want the rollers changed thats no problem.
What kind of spring pressures and lift and how long are you running these bush lifters ?
Must be a reason why NASCAR don't use the!!

I'd rather take a chance on the black mamba or evo lifters before bushed lifters.

Bob Book runs needle bearings lifters and never had a fail WHY?............ONE of the baddest small block engine builders going around.
GuysMonteSS
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GuysMonteSS »

ProPower engines wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:40 pm
Guy

Spring pressure is just under 700 lbs ,lift is .706.
I've been running these lifters for 5 years now,approximately 17-20,000 miles.
Jesel shaft rockers and lash gets checked regularly,and the oil gets changed often.
Guy
GuysMonteSS
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GuysMonteSS »

[quote

I'd rather take a chance on the black mamba or evo lifters before bushed lifters.

Bob Book runs needle bearings lifters and never had a fail WHY?............ONE of the baddest small block engine builders going around.
[/quote]

To each their own I guess.
Guy
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

bob460 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:04 am

They get changed weekly after every race would be one reason and they are mechanical so apples and oranges.
So many issues with morel lifters bleeding down why chance the hyd. rollers till they get the QC fixed.

I have many sets of the bushed lifters in marine BBC applications no issues since they were introduced years ago. Seemed like the answer to needle bearing failures other brands were having constantly.

At least with the bushed lifter you know when there's an issue before it kills the complete engine with shrapnel from the rollers failing
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

ProPower engines wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:00 pm
bob460 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:04 am Must be a reason why NASCAR don't use the!!

They get changed weekly after every race would be one reason and they are mechanical so apples and oranges.
So many issues with morel lifters bleeding down why chance the hyd. rollers till they get the QC fixed.

I have many sets of the bushed lifters in marine BBC applications no issues since they were introduced years ago. Seemed like the answer to needle bearing failures other brands were having constantly.

At least with the bushed lifter you know when there's an issue before it kills the complete engine with shrapnel from the rollers failing
We are talking about mechanical lifters, don't know why you would bring up hydraulic lifters. #-o
MELWAY
Guru
Guru

Post by MELWAY »

bob460 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:04 am

I totally respect Bob books badass racing engine. But I don’t think any of them run for hours and hours. I have street guys that put near 100 hrs a year on their solid roller .750” lift street cars
3370lb Sedan 9.89@136MPH 358chevN/A
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

bob460 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:11 pm
ProPower engines wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:00 pm

We are talking about mechanical lifters, don't know why you would bring up hydraulic lifters. #-o
Opps typo my bad.
But same thing I think applies.
Any quality valve train will not gain lash in a short period unless there is a severe wear issue in the system.
the shock on the smaller area seems to be what kills the rollers. Yes lobe profil comes into play with seriously aggressive cams but I still see them as insurance to save a engine from the shrapnel.
Yes they all have a life span but the bushing seems to increase that period of use a great deal without the worries the rollers failing for those that can't constantly change or rebuild them.
Just saying the solid or hyd. versions I have used since they came out I have not seen a failure to date.
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

I totally respect Bob books badass racing engine. But I don’t think any of them run for hours and hours. I have street guys that put near 100 hrs a year on their solid roller .750” lift street cars
[/quote][/quote]

True but your street car guys are not making 1100-1200hp........9000-10000rpm either.

100 hrs......is what maybe 8-10,000km, that's not too bad for 800hp service life.........lifters are just a consumable and with valve springs they should be replace more often then other parts.

What valve springs pressure you running in them?