Traction Bar question

Shocks, Springs, Brakes, Frame, Body Work, etc

Moderator: Team

HS Nova
Expert
Expert
Traction Bar question

Post by HS Nova »

I recently bought some used traction bars for my leaf spring car. Can someone let me know what the purpose of the clamp at the front of the traction bar is for? It seems as though it does not do anything? As well, how do you install the clamp correctly? Is it supposed to have any pre load?
Thanks in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Re: Traction Bar question

Post by cgarb »

I was born right about the slapper bars glory days...but I believe the clamp is to keep the bar from moving away from the spring too far...like a clutch car if you would downshift and the rear would try to nose down and the bars would dig into the asphalt. That's an extreme case I'm sure, but I see no other purpose for it.
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

simply to keep very bad things from happening.
HS Nova
Expert
Expert

Post by HS Nova »

lefty o wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:04 am simply to keep very bad things from happening.
Can you explain? I remember the same bars sold in the 80's minus the clamp in front. What was the bad this that happened that u are aware of?
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

HS Nova wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 4:29 am
lefty o wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:04 am simply to keep very bad things from happening.
Can you explain? I remember the same bars sold in the 80's minus the clamp in front. What was the bad this that happened that u are aware of?
the u bolts are there to keep those bars from nose diving into the pavement.
chevy art
Pro
Pro

Post by chevy art »

lefty you are 100% correct. clamps are a safety thing. art
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Post by SupStk »

Agree with the above for not causing the bar to drop too far on decel or braking.

The adjustment according to Lakewood, is to leave 1/4" gap between the top of spring and clamp.
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
HS Nova
Expert
Expert

Post by HS Nova »

SupStk wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:14 am Agree with the above for not causing the bar to drop too far on decel or braking.

The adjustment according to Lakewood, is to leave 1/4" gap between the top of spring and clamp.
Thank you for the adjustment tip.

Thanks to all that replied