V8 S10 Engine Ex Manifolds?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

econo racer
Expert
Expert
V8 S10 Engine Ex Manifolds?

Post by econo racer »

Any one know which exhaust manifolds that will fit the best in a V8 s10 using stock steering column with the stock shifter too #-o Or cheap headers if I must. Not a race car-daily driver.
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Re: V8 S10 Engine Ex Manifolds?

Post by ProPower engines »

So your using an automatic trans?
Look on line for a outfit called jags that run
here's the link
https://jagsthatrun.com/collections/che ... ion-manual
Down load that manual it has every stock part listed for doing S-10 and S-15 swaps.
I used to have a paper copy from when we did a pile of those swaps back in the late 90's but have no idea
where it is now #-o #-o
From memory I think the malibu 305 manifolds from the late 79 to in the 80's fit with the stock Y pipe for single exhaust.
But the manual tells you every GM part needed to do the swaps and even problem solving issues are covered as specific years of some parts differ slightly although most are space related like what starters etc.

Hope that helps :D
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

The LT1 Camaro manifolds seem to work well for these swaps. I have a set here. Was going to use them for son's Camaro but he has a set of SLP headers for the '91 Firehawk and wants to run them. Randy Brzezinski modifies these manifolds for more power and better fit with early year heads......

Good luck,

Harry
econo racer
Expert
Expert

Post by econo racer »

So the LT1 manifolds will bolt up to my 1971 sbc heads? Will I have room for the starter and steering column?
econo racer
Expert
Expert

Post by econo racer »

I have not looked under the hood in a while. But do I want the exhaust coming from the center or the back :shock: the header or manifold? I want to be able and get 18 mpg on hiway with a 406 sbc. Using the stock Auto overdrive trans. And will have quiet exhaust :D Trying for 300-330 HP. :D
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

The only such swaps I have seen use rear dump manifolds, econo racer. With a 400, be especially attentive to engine cooling. Space is limited. Even with a 350 you would need to consider the radiator and cooling fan upgrades mentioned in some of the links below. Might consider early short water pump and matching pulleys, accessory drive brackets, etc. Every little bit helps on tight fits such as this.

With '93 - '96 LT1 manifolds and early year ('71) heads, you would need to drill the holes near end ports as Randy Brzezinski does and at least port match them to your heads. The mods he does at exhaust pipe connection and the additional porting help as well. I have never done this particular engine swap myself, so cannot say on S-10 steering column clearance beyond what I have been told as to these manifolds being popular with those doing V-8 to S-10 swaps. The '82 - '92 Camaro log type manifolds are the same as the Malibu manifolds ProPower engines mentioned as far as I am aware. Those manifolds are said to be a good fit as well and require no redrilling. The upswept '93 - '96 LT1 Camaro manifolds that Randy modifies for circle track use flow a bit better than log manifolds after mods. V-8 and 4.3 V-6 starter is same size and placement as LT1, so I would not anticipate a clearance problem there. There are aftermarket kits and individual parts available for these swaps as well. Many of them include short tube headers. Having run a V-8 Vega setup on the street in the early '80s with the Don Hardy swap kit and full length headers, I prefer cast-iron exhaust manifolds for street driven vehicles but that's just my personal preference.

Here are some links on these swaps (general info)......

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/46298- ... gine-swap/

https://jagsthatrun.com/pages/introduction

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/chevy-s ... k-v8-swap/

https://itstillruns.com/put-350-motor-c ... 43992.html

https://s10v8.com/

https://www.jegs.com/p/Trans-Dapt/V8-in ... 3/10002/-1

Trials and tribulations......

Good luck with your engine swap. Hope this helps,

Harry
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

91 and newer S10's were available with the 4.3 so V8 swap so the steering column should not be an issue with the right manifolds...Summit racing sells many headers for the swap from $150 on up...Cheap tube headers on a daily driver might not work out the best in the long run..
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

ProPower engines wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 3:14 am So your using an automatic trans?
Look on line for a outfit called jags that run
here's the link
https://jagsthatrun.com/collections/che ... ion-manual
Down load that manual it has every stock part listed for doing S-10 and S-15 swaps.
I used to have a paper copy from when we did a pile of those swaps back in the late 90's but have no idea
where it is now #-o #-o
From memory I think the malibu 305 manifolds from the late 79 to in the 80's fit with the stock Y pipe for single exhaust.
But the manual tells you every GM part needed to do the swaps and even problem solving issues are covered as specific years of some parts differ slightly although most are space related like what starters etc.

Hope that helps :D
I'd look and see if v8s10.org is still up and if not, go to the S10 forums for recent info before I bought that old book from the 90s. Unless it's been updated, you'll probably be looking for outdated parts that don't exist anymore, IMO. I think lo-po Camaro RS manifolds will work.i don't recall what year, though.

https://www.s10forum.com/forums/v8-discussion.10/

http://www.v8s10.org/forum/
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

Truckedup wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 8:46 am91 and newer S10's were available with the 4.3 so V8 swap so the steering column should not be an issue with the right manifolds...Summit racing sells many headers for the swap from $150 on up...Cheap tube headers on a daily driver might not work out the best in the long run..
midnightbluS10 wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 11:42 amI'd look and see if v8s10.org is still up and if not, go to the S10 forums for recent info before I bought that old book from the 90s. Unless it's been updated, you'll probably be looking for outdated parts that don't exist anymore, IMO. I think lo-po Camaro RS manifolds will work.i don't recall what year, though.

https://www.s10forum.com/forums/v8-discussion.10/

http://www.v8s10.org/forum/
I agree, Tony and JC. The '82 - '92 Camaro log type manifolds are probably the easiest and best fitting factory manifolds for this swap. They are a bolt-on and were used on some Malibus and other GM cars as well. Dorman carries new aftermarket replacements if local wrecking yard sources dry up. These aftermarket manifolds are not cast in America and usually require port matching and internal porting to flow as well as originals, though.

Tony, I agree with your take on headers for the S-10 V-8 swap. My experience with running a 'built' 350 on the street in a Vega with the Don Hardy swap kit and full length, long tube headers pretty much turned me off to running headers on the street. Oh, I had run headers in a couple of my '55 Chevys years before with a full length muffled exhaust system and dealt with the inevitable, annoying exhaust leaks. But the V-8 Vega was another thing altogether. Like the S-10, a V-8 was a tight fit in the Vega and that meant there was insufficient air flow past the engine running with the hood on and it got hotter than blazes underhood. With the new more volatile fuels we have now of days, that extra heat would no doubt cause all manner of havoc when running a carburettor...... Vapour lock, heat soak following shutdown (fuel boiling in bowl), etc.

The headers were made in 2 pieces on each side and had to be carefully fitted together as the engine was lowered into the car, one piece from under the car, another from the top (on each side). Worse, they fit so close to the starter that the heat wiped out the starter every other week. You couldn't replace the starter without pulling the passenger side header and you couldn't pull the header without pulling the engine halfway out of the car. Not much fun every other week.

Ground clearance was an issue as well. Parking lot speed bumps and steep drives required front spring replacement with longer springs and a fresh front end alignment to raise the front of the car a couple inches in order not to drag the headers when negotiating these. I bought the Vega from my next door neighbour. He sold it to me cheap because he was darned near bankrupt from paying speeding tickets and was tired of pulling the engine every other week to change starters. I installed taller springs and a heat shield between header and starter. Didn't help the starter live any longer, though.

I was toying with the idea of modifying the passenger side header to weld in bolted flanges that would allow starter replacement without pulling the engine. But there was insufficient room for either the flanges nor to route the tubes further away from the starter. So I pulled the 350 engine and 350 turbo transmission and dropped them into a '79 Z-28 for my wife to drive. This was around 1984 or so.

Best regards,

Harry
Dirtybob

Post by Dirtybob »

I've used the hedman short style swap headers and the 2 piece long tube hookers before. Not over impressed with either of them (thin flanges).
Also not seeing drivers side LT1 manifolds available anywhere (maybe ebay...), it's part of the reason I put headers on my roadmaster. @ econo racer LMK if you need a D.S. manifold and don't mind repairing a flange stud.
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

The G-body/3rd gen F-body log manifolds all require the '7th bolt hole' in the passenger side head. Driver side uses the same old school 6-bolt pattern.
DON'T PANIC
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

I had a modified 305 in a G body El Camino 4 speed..Looking for something that might flow better I used a set Rams Horns wit 2 inch straight outlets. They cleared the clutch linkage and I fabricated an exhaust....I can't say it ran better because a lot of stuff on the engine was changed but it was quite snotty for a 35.
A G body came with a V8 so it's not the same as an S10, but both do have a K member under the center of the engine.
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

Tony, were the manifolds you used the ones that drop straight down from the center?

I thought about mentioning the center dump Chevy II manifolds that curve rearward. But you'd just have to trial fit them and see if they would clear the crossmember in an S-10. They have 2" outlets. The ones Brzezinski modifies have 2-1/4" outlets......

Best regards,

Harry
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

Back in the early '00s I built a S-10, using the Hooker long tubes, the ones with the two LH tubes that wrapped around the steering shaft. Never had any issues with them. No leaks from the slip-fit tubes or anything.
DON'T PANIC
econo racer
Expert
Expert

Post by econo racer »

Thanks for all the info. =D> I actually have a pair of 79 Malibu manifolds. I will probably use the old short water pump. I want to run a fan and also use in conjunction with a big electric. The sticker on the air cleaner said this 400 makes 265 HP. With dual exhaust,aluminum dual plane intake and a Holley 600 vac secondary, plus a a small 252 Hi Energy cam with 425 lift it should make 300 HP easy.