General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Re: Vortec intake runners

Post by gmrocket »

midnightbluS10 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:14 pm
gmrocket wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:24 pm They are Chinese heads. I've fixed about ten sets exactly like that..I'm not color blind

It was a heads up to the guy because I've got experience fixing those junk guides.

Have you?
Why would it matter if they had experience? They weren't giving advice on how to repair them. They were talking about the computer not reproducing colors acuurately.

So what does that have to do with whether they've fixed any heads? It doesn't and your question was useless.
I was giving useful advice from experience with yellow Chinese guides. Maybe he could save himself some grief

It’s not the computer messing up with the colours when you Can put the Chinese guide next to a good guide and they look yellow

The only thing useless is you sticking your nose in thinking you are the speed talk hall monitor
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

gmrocket wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 8:51 pmI was giving useful advice from experience with yellow Chinese guides. Maybe he could save himself some grief

It’s not the computer messing up with the colours when you Can put the Chinese guide next to a good guide and they look yellow

The only thing useless is you sticking your nose in thinking you are the speed talk hall monitor
My camera will change the color sometimes for no reason, in fact I had to change the hue of my thumbnail because it was too blue. Some shots commonly appear yellower and that is why I said the computer is a valid point. I watch a camera channel, that compares base settings all the time and he shows the color difference side by side for a lot of cameras. I don't really care if it's not totally consistent for my channel, FYI I just watch him cause he is funny but it's beyond my camera goals atm.

I also use three mode LED shop lights and change the mode if I rem depending on the shot and that will change the color slightly.

Between my camera. the shop lights and editing it on my computer(my hardware, I usually don't mess with color shot to shot but I could) with my eyes and the device you watch it on, I'd only make a solid opinion on them with your eyes in person.

I think some peeps exp with these heads show that a mild setup can do fine, it's when people pay bottom dollar and expect top performance as often is the case with many cheap parts and why I still say if your going all out then buy quality. I've also read that the PM seats don't hold up well to radical cams.

I only noted the difference in color between the two because it is noticeable on camera but it should also be noted that the BPE are prob old stock and the guide color could have darkened some with time.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

BOOT wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 9:56 pm
gmrocket wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 8:51 pmI was giving useful advice from experience with yellow Chinese guides. Maybe he could save himself some grief

My camera will change the color sometimes for no reason, in fact I had to change the hue of my thumbnail because it was too blue. Some shots commonly appear yellower and that is why I said the computer is a valid point. I watch a camera channel, that compares base settings all the time and he shows the color difference side by side for a lot of cameras. I don't really care if it's not totally consistent for my channel, FYI I just watch him cause he is funny but it's beyond my camera goals atm.

I also use three mode LED shop lights and change the mode if I rem depending on the shot and that will change the color slightly.

Between my camera. the shop lights and editing it on my computer(my hardware, I usually don't mess with color shot to shot but I could) with my eyes and the device you watch it on, I'd only make a solid opinion on them with your eyes in person.

I think some peeps exp with these heads show that a mild setup can do fine, it's when people pay bottom dollar and expect top performance as often is the case with many cheap parts and why I still say if your going all out then buy quality. I've also read that the PM seats don't hold up well to radical cams.

I only noted the difference in color between the two because it is noticeable on camera but it should also be noted that the BPE are prob old stock and the guide color could have darkened some with time.
The reason they are a more yellowish color is because they are the cheap aluminum/bronze alloy. the better guide material is phosphor/bronze or mag/bronze which are a more gold actual bronze color.

aluminum/bronze guides are the lowest cost of all the bronze guides and don't wear as good. I don't know the % make up of the guides in those chinese heads but the al/br guide should have no more than 1.5% to 2% max aluminum
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

gmrocket wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 10:50 pm I don't know the % make up of the guides in those chinese heads

gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

BOOT wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 11:00 pm
gmrocket wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 10:50 pm I don't know the % make up of the guides in those chinese heads
just guessing by the looks of them and the ones ive seen go sloppy in one month of driving, I would say its over 2%

because even a normal cheap aL/bronze guide should last longer.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

I got another set to compare and you can see the intake ports at the flange are different

BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Oh and those BPE blem heads didn't work out

af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

Thanks for informing us all. To bad a great chamber and ports are Fubr from the get go.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

Post by Bob Hollinshead »

If that was the only thing wrong with them and the price was low enough I would have tried to fix them... a friend has had good luck fixing cracks like that with a product I think is made by loctite, he pulls a vacume on the crack and fills the void-no failures so far. Some of them have held coolant for years.
Pro question poster.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Bob Hollinshead wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:45 pm If that was the only thing wrong with them and the price was low enough I would have tried to fix them... a friend has had good luck fixing cracks like that with a product I think is made by loctite, he pulls a vacume on the crack and fills the void-no failures so far. Some of them have held coolant for years.
After I found the crack, I researched repairing it quickly before contacting the seller and saw someone said they used green loctite. If he had not offered to refund me then I'd of tired to fix them. Plus I had the 2.0 set for $100 less and I'm gonna use them now.

1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

Why waste your money on ebay china heads. I have a set of bone stock 906 Vortec heads that are on a 406 that run mid 11's @114 mph. Waste of money when a production head will get the job done.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

1980RS wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:26 am Why waste your money on ebay china heads. I have a set of bone stock 906 Vortec heads that are on a 406 that run mid 11's @114 mph. Waste of money when a production head will get the job done.
That's your opinion and mine is I don't want to machine a set of vortecs for screw in studs atm, plus I got the other stuff to complete these bare heads. Vortec heads are decent and I will be using a set for another project. Also these heads were cheaper and quicker than getting a m-shop to redo other sets I have.

Monza355
Expert
Expert

Post by Monza355 »

You seem to have a nice garage. You could easily machine the vortec heads for threaded rocker studs yourself with minimal cost. Summit sells a tool that works as a stud puller and a guide for the tap as well. They also sell a mill to mill the boss for guideplates if you prefer to use them. Of course it’s time consuming, but can be done without a lot of cost.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Monza355 wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:37 pm You seem to have a nice garage. You could easily machine the vortec heads for threaded rocker studs yourself with minimal cost. Summit sells a tool that works as a stud puller and a guide for the tap as well. They also sell a mill to mill the boss for guideplates if you prefer to use them. Of course it’s time consuming, but can be done without a lot of cost.
Well the guideplates is what I want done(to be nice n flat) n I'd just have them do the tapping when I get it done. I prefer 7/16 studs ARP vs the 3/8 speedway set I used in the video, those are fine for the donor budget build I'll be doing.

BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

I think back then I decided the tool cost vs the shop was bout the same and I didn't plan on doing it a lot otherwise the tool would make sense. I do have a guide boss cutter and spring pocket ones. Plus the two corded Milwaukee 3/8 & 1/2 drills I have wobble like a mofo n I got them new.