Oil pressure vs volume

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Re: Oil pressure vs volume

Post by swampbuggy »

Steve, i think lifter bore bushings would be a really good idea to pursue when you get a chance. You can achieve two things at the same time, get your clearance right where you want it and provide a better metal for your steel lifters to operate with. Mark H. Good luck moving forward.
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Thanks Mark. Im pulling engine apart again tomorrow. Really wanted to kick over 800 hp and found out a few things today. Camking us helping with another cam and i will admit some of you guys pointed that out earlier in this program and i May have got my ass in a knot and apologize to anyone I offended. Us ol gear heads get set in ways and im not afraid to admit it. The block is working well, and we do not see the growth typical in alloy. I made a point of watching this close. We set our cam at .012 cold and when hot we had most at .015 and the rest .018. The dyno operator said most alloy he works with they set to zero cold and end up at .025ish. So im happy with that. We had zero leaks and most everything ran well. The only problem is with bt heads everything is custom custom. Make everything to fit. A real chore.
Last edited by Steve.k on Fri May 15, 2020 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Krooser wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 11:20 pm
Wholly shit what happened ? The pan i have wants 6qt. I figured not enough so added?? Im not a subscriber!!😞
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Steve.k wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 11:35 pm ...
Wholly shit what happened ? The pan i have wants 6qt. I figured not enough so added?? Im not a subscriber!!😞
When you check your own pan for fill levels I suggest using water with some drops of food colouring. Start with 1 quart/litre and use a Sharpie or similar indelible marker to scribe a mark. Continue the same procedure quart/litre by quart/litre. That way you don't have to guess/imagine.

With many pans the level rise up to a certain point is largely linear (evenly spaced marks).

Good luck.

Edit: When I design windage trays I try to obtain a well-used stock pan and measure in reverse by using the witness marks in the pan. By comparing the stock fill you can calculate easily the normal amount of oil that is in circulation in the engine when running. From there you can estimate oil level drops from oil entrainment in the windage cloud.

This is when you consider neat oil (no free air bubbles). Once you have the calibration marks you can further estimate the rise/fall of the surface when the volume is expanded by say, 20%.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Steve.k wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 4:00 pm A lot of guys used to say 10psi per 1000rpm! What do you guys like. Last two days dynoed a sbf oil pressure start at 57-60 hot end up 54-48 at end depending on temp. Melling hv pump priority main oiling 7500rpm limit.
The keywords there are "used to say" because that's what those old engines needed.

Were not in 1974 anymore. Or even 1994.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

midnightbluS10 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:16 pm
Steve.k wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 4:00 pm A lot of guys used to say 10psi per 1000rpm! What do you guys like. Last two days dynoed a sbf oil pressure start at 57-60 hot end up 54-48 at end depending on temp. Melling hv pump priority main oiling 7500rpm limit.
The keywords there are "used to say" because that's what those old engines needed.

=D> Here's a graph of Katech's new dual stage oil pump that conveniently shows the 2019 OEM LT dual stage mapping below. I am still using simple division ... Gasp.

You are a tech and should be able to pull up specs like this for modern motors (Hi Randy! *).

* Alliteration -- honoring the modern motor. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/alliteration
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Kevin Johnson wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 10:30 pm
midnightbluS10 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:16 pm

=D> Here's a graph of Katech's new dual stage oil pump that conveniently shows the 2019 OEM LT dual stage mapping below. I am still using simple division ... Gasp.

You are a tech and should be able to pull up specs like this for modern motors (Hi Randy! *).

* Alliteration -- honoring the modern motor. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/alliteration
Very interesting stuff. Thanks Kevin!!
digger
Guru
Guru

Post by digger »

If some is good then more must be better
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Like head flow i thought. But was wrong about that🙈
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

Steve would love to see a set of Aussie HIGGINS heads and intake on this new track boss block...... 900hp+ easy.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

bob460 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 10:08 pm Steve would love to see a set of Aussie HIGGINS heads and intake on this new track boss block...... 900hp+ easy.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Yes thats for sure. Xmas is coming. Lol! I’ve Been checking over a few things since dyno. Overlooked a few things. I think i can kick well into 800 once i get them sorted out.
piston guy
Guru
Guru

Post by piston guy »

Steve.k wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 12:49 pm Ok thanks everyone. Im going to pull pan and valley cover just to check over things. Im using 20w50 for those who asked. Working with Mike jones may change cam to squeak over 800 mark. Thanks Pistonguy did you use lifter bore bushings? This block will not move as much as prior blocks. I made a specific point of watching growth and we cold set rockers at .012 and once hot (160) we checked. Most were at .015 but had a couple at .018. Moved all to .018 and they never changed hot again.
Yes right side (pass) only. I used .015 for lash on mine to get .020 "hot".
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Thanks Randy. Its coming.