Small block chevy guys step inside.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Small block chevy guys step inside.

Post by Orr89rocz »

ask because to be honest the engine I am building is new ground for me, factory roller thrust plate, spiders and dog bones with Delphi lifters hydro roller 228-232 @50 .575/.575 lift. 110 lsa 107 icl Good manley pushrods, scorpion shaft rockers of good quality and afr 195 street eliminator heads in a 383, with 10.5 to 1 compression. C950 Efi, good headers zf 6 speed, 3.45 gears.
I would go holley hp for the ease of use and support. Commander 950 is dated.

Other than that i think you will be fine with your setup

Idk anyone who builds a hotrod and plans to go 100k miles tho. For that oem type cams are used. Very mild lobes. Not saying it cant be done but if its run hard you probably wanna check things out every 10-20k with any performance cam lobe.
I ran dog bone ls7 lifters in my 383 sbc with a .603/.613 lift hyd roller. Turned 6800 rpm no prob. Put 1600 miles on it summer driving fun then built a turbo car, used the same heads lifters and springs. New cam that was .564 lift and wider lsa for the turbo. Put another 1000-2000 miles i think it was. Everything was fine.

Built a new turbo deal that had over 4000 miles on it i believe. Morel 4602 lifters and .640” lift sbc. Standard circle. Everything was fine lol but that wasnt a setup i would go 20k+ miles without checking springs and such

I know some lsx guys with lots of miles on fairly decent sized hyd rollers so it can be done.
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

I have the commander, and the wideband kit for it, for now I'll use it. But yeah, everyone says I'll get better idle with sequential efi especially with the miniram, plus easier to tune the narrow lsa cam with it.

When the time comes I will probably get the terminator x ls kit, and modify the harness to work with a dual sync, or crank trigger and cam phase/oil pump drive unit and ls coils.. its 1800 bucks I simply would rather not spend right now. Want to get it in the car and running before summer. Probably over next winter I'll do the efi swap, by then I'll be in new place with 24x50 garage. As it is I'm doing this with a cheap pop up tent type garage hahaha.. it's a pain having to drag things out and put away. New house I'll have the ability to leave things laid out and get more done on days I have an extra hour to spend. Right now it takes 2 hours to drag stuff out and put it away.
And I figured this should go 30k without major tear down etc.. that was the plan.

When I mentioned 100k, I was more curious about how far you could push it on a true daily driver car that has some balls.

Orr89rocz wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:04 am
ask because to be honest the engine I am building is new ground for me, factory roller thrust plate, spiders and dog bones with Delphi lifters hydro roller 228-232 @50 .575/.575 lift. 110 lsa 107 icl Good manley pushrods, scorpion shaft rockers of good quality and afr 195 street eliminator heads in a 383, with 10.5 to 1 compression. C950 Efi, good headers zf 6 speed, 3.45 gears.

Other than that i think you will be fine with your setup

Idk anyone who builds a hotrod and plans to go 100k miles tho. For that oem type cams are used. Very mild lobes. Not saying it cant be done but if its run hard you probably wanna check things out every 10-20k with any performance cam lobe.
I ran dog bone ls7 lifters in my 383 sbc with a .603/.613 lift hyd roller. Turned 6800 rpm no prob. Put 1600 miles on it summer driving fun then built a turbo car, used the same heads lifters and springs. New cam that was .564 lift and wider lsa for the turbo. Put another 1000-2000 miles i think it was. Everything was fine.

Built a new turbo deal that had over 4000 miles on it i believe. Morel 4602 lifters and .640” lift sbc. Standard circle. Everything was fine lol but that wasnt a setup i would go 20k+ miles without checking springs and such

I know some lsx guys with lots of miles on fairly decent sized hyd rollers so it can be done.
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

Orr89rocz wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 8:04 am
Took your advice, ordered a terminator setup, it's the 4bbl tbi but is an hp, just need a different harness to go sequential with it, consensus seems to be idle and low rpm distribution issues with the miniram and batch fire. Sequential should help drivability and idle a lot been reading your posts at 3rdgen.org. you've been through multiple 23° combos.. how do you like the miniram on the street with the m6 trans?
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Orr89rocz »

I never had one in a m6 but my good racing buddy did and it ran well. Was faster with an efi single plane tho

The lt1 cars i have tuned have always ran pretty good. They have sequential injection with offsets for the rich lean cylinders so that helps.
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

Single plane with 8 injectors, or 4bbl tbi?
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Orr89rocz »

8 injector. Tbi is not a performance system imo
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

Was referring to the newer Holley TBI setups that flow 950, and have 4 large flow injectors specifically, not the old low pressure systems.
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Orr89rocz »

They are getting popular and i understand the desire since you can most easily convert a carb intake over to that style of injection but i still dont like them lol to me efi will also be one injector per runner in the manifold. Ultimately i think it gives best performance drivability and control
Bill Chase
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Bill Chase »

From my limited knowledge and experience All I have read and experience leads me to believe the same. About mpfi, vs tbi.

I do find it interesting how blow through setups be it tbi or carbed, can get away with higher cylinder pressures and no intercooler by staying with a wet flow manifold though. Lots of them seem to use meth injection with higher boost and pump gas. Guess it is all very application specific.