Edelbrock E force heads #5089

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

russxr67
Pro
Pro

Re: Edelbrock E force heads #5089

Post by russxr67 »

You have to question the quality of the springs as mentioned.
I just pulled apart a set of E205 Edelbrock heads and open pressure was 240 lbs on a combo that had done less than 1000kms
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

It wasn't my project but I remember it being discussed in some meetings.
If I remember correctly, the issue was that the hydraulic rollers were bleeding out at high rpm and the valves were closing while the cam was still on a high velocity portion of the lobe.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
Blakeslee

Post by Blakeslee »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:27 pm It wasn't my project but I remember it being discussed in some meetings.
If I remember correctly, the issue was that the hydraulic rollers were bleeding out at high rpm and the valves were closing while the cam was still on a high velocity portion of the lobe.
Is this a problem on this particular head and if so why? I have a set of these heads that came on a crate engine and it does have a roller cam installed.
I don't know what the cam specs are as the builder did not include and that business is now defunct.
EDC
Expert
Expert

Post by EDC »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 5:27 pm It wasn't my project but I remember it being discussed in some meetings.
Not sure what those tests were showing but I've sold a lot of custom hydraulic roller camshafts for those E-Street heads using this spring kit and never had an issue.

http://www.flowtechinduction.com/lunati ... 73925k2-f/

Not sure if the issues you mentioned were lobe, lifter or just the excessive valvetrain mass for the spring to control properly.
"Quality" is like buying oats. You can pay a fair price for it and get some good quality oats,
or you can get it a hell of a lot cheaper, when it's already been through the horse.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Ed Curtis - www.FlowTechInduction.com
Blakeslee

Post by Blakeslee »

Thanks for the reply EDC. I am trying to figure out the best direction to go with this set of heads regarding camshaft selection.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Blakeslee wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:23 am
Is this a problem on this particular head and if so why? I have a set of these heads that came on a crate engine and it does have a roller cam installed.
I don't know what the cam specs are as the builder did not include and that business is now defunct.
It required a combination of parts to be a problem.
I don't remember the details, it wasn't my project.
Blakeslee

Post by Blakeslee »

Thank you sir. I appreciate the clarification.

Blakeslee
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Blakeslee wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:07 pm Thank you sir. I appreciate the clarification.

Blakeslee
IIRC, the issue was that through a combination of cam, lifter, spring, the valves were landing hard on the seats.
The parts used were outside of the intended application of those heads.
This is one of the problems you run into when you develop a part that is optimised for low cost.
dyna_dev

Post by dyna_dev »

Hi all, from the UK here and information on converting these heads for roller use is proving difficult.

Can anyone give me the correct valve spring part number to use on these e5089 heads to use with a stock 1986 block that has a factory roller cam?
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Need more info from you.

Are you in need of springs for a Hydro roller, or a solid roller?

What is your current valve spring installed height?

How much lift will the Cam you are looking to use have?
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
dyna_dev

Post by dyna_dev »

mag2555 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:00 am Need more info from you.

In need of valve spring recommendations for a stock 1986 roller camshaft

I cant answer for current installed springs height as my original heads are now disassembled i can give you the head castings numbers if this helps?

Im not entertaining putting in a upgrade cam with these heads so it'll just be a stock camshaft from 1986 from what i read the most aggressive lift is 0.525 from what ive managed to find on the factory roller cams from 86
EDC
Expert
Expert

Post by EDC »

dyna_dev wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:20 am
mag2555 wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:00 am Need more info from you.

In need of valve spring recommendations for a stock 1986 roller camshaft

I cant answer for current installed springs height as my original heads are now disassembled i can give you the head castings numbers if this helps?

Im not entertaining putting in a upgrade cam with these heads so it'll just be a stock camshaft from 1986 from what i read the most aggressive lift is 0.525 from what ive managed to find on the factory roller cams from 86
https://www.flowtechinduction.com/dsr-c ... pring-kit/
"Quality" is like buying oats. You can pay a fair price for it and get some good quality oats,
or you can get it a hell of a lot cheaper, when it's already been through the horse.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Ed Curtis - www.FlowTechInduction.com