General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Re: low buck 454

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Good street cam

I like the Howards 121052-10 and I like Howards 122312-10 both a bit better for your purpose.
Both a bit easier on the wallet too.

I also like Isky 396255 Z-55
Am looking at what is going on at the valve on this one.
Can work with stock rockers if you check rocker stud clearance . .573" gross .545" net lift (.028) 1.7:1 rr
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

On this Isky 396255 Z-55 camshaft

The Isky Complete kit is #390255
Cam lifters dual springs shims and poly locks
to replace the stock rocker arm jam nuts.
(these poly locks are not for roller rockers
they are for the stock type stamped steel
bbc rocker if you prefer over the oem jam nuts.
Good price at Summit

Isky used to have a direct download web link for the cam timing chart cam cards on their site. I don't see it now..

VortecPro is a old hand on these simple bbc builds
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

IMHO on street strip big block chevys with stamped steel rocker arms it is best to keep the gross valve lift (1.7:1) well on the south side of .600" lift.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Here is the Grand Master Joe Sherman dynoing a Dual Quad RPM intake (2X600) street strip oval port 396 bbc

He liked using the 2x600's and 2x750's on these street combos
Rpm air gap Dual Quad 2x4 w/ various spacers for effect.

You can too.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Pass on the E street cylinder head on this
it has a cheaper light duty valve and valve seat.

Get the better Performer RPM 290 cc oval head.
It is only slightly more money..
Valves and springs are good for the isky 396255 Z55 solid cam. You don't want cheap valve seats on any high perf cylinder head least all on a BIG BLOCK CHEV.

I am trying to only spend your money once.
mt-engines
Expert
Expert

Post by mt-engines »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:04 am Pass on the E street cylinder head on this

Valves and springs are good for the isky 396255 Z55 solid cam. You don't want cheap valve seats on any high perf cylinder head least all on a BIG BLOCK CHEV.

Wow.. You just don't stop.

Do us all a favor and build something. Let us know how it runs.
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

mt-engines wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:09 am Wow.. You just don't stop. Do us all a favor and build something. Let us know how it runs.
Amen, sir. =D>
S10LS2

Post by S10LS2 »

mt-engines wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:09 am
F-BIRD'88 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:04 am Pass on the E street cylinder head on this

Wow.. You just don't stop.

Do us all a favor and build something. Let us know how it runs.
Looks like the 7 month hall monitor is trying to get the thread locked with unneeded comments..Keep scrolling if you do not wanna read it. F bird is fine.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

well you guys are going to be disappointed in me. In fact i'm a little disappointed in me. Since the first priority is to sell the engine, therefore keep the cost down. I went with the comp 11.602-4 hyd thumper cam. This allows me to use stock rockers and the motor will be somewhat dummy proof. I've found that all my engines that i sell go to guys just getting their feet wet in the hobby. Ultimate power is not the main concern. Reliabilty, ease of maintenance and a raunchy sound are more important. If i end up keeping the engine (if it doesn't sell) then i could possibly test this cam against other cams.

please go easy on me. Its my birthday.

Brian
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

prairiehotrodder wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:59 pm well you guys are going to be disappointed in me. In fact i'm a little disappointed in me. Since the first priority is to sell the engine, therefore keep the cost down. I went with the comp 11.602-4 hyd thumper cam. This allows me to use stock rockers and the motor will be somewhat dummy proof. I've found that all my engines that i sell go to guys just getting their feet wet in the hobby. Ultimate power is not the main concern. Reliabilty, ease of maintenance and a raunchy sound are more important. If i end up keeping the engine (if it doesn't sell) then i could possibly test this cam against other cams.

Brian
We have all had to “dumb down” an engine, either for a customer or even ourselves when we wanted to reduce maintenance. I get it even if others don’t.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
GRTfast
Guru
Guru

Post by GRTfast »

prairiehotrodder wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:59 pm well you guys are going to be disappointed in me. In fact i'm a little disappointed in me. Since the first priority is to sell the engine, therefore keep the cost down. I went with the comp 11.602-4 hyd thumper cam. This allows me to use stock rockers and the motor will be somewhat dummy proof. I've found that all my engines that i sell go to guys just getting their feet wet in the hobby. Ultimate power is not the main concern. Reliabilty, ease of maintenance and a raunchy sound are more important. If i end up keeping the engine (if it doesn't sell) then i could possibly test this cam against other cams.

Brian
When we were building kart engines, it proved to be a bad idea to sell one of our full tilt packages to someone. They were so finicky and had to be tuned and maintained a specific way or they would not work well. You would tell them how to do it, but they would always inject their own habits and have less than favorable results.

We had a customer motor that was about 5% down on power, and it was rock solid, easy to use and maintain.

I get it.
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way. -Hitchens