Painted Connecting Rods?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Krooser
Guru
Guru

Painted Connecting Rods?

Post by Krooser »

[*]My old racing buddy Louie always painted the connecting rods in his race engines to encourage shedding the oil off the rods.

Just wondering if any of you guys have heard of this.... 50 year old tech!
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Painted Connecting Rods?

Post by hoffman900 »

Krooser wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:48 am [*]My old racing buddy Louie always painted the connecting rods in his race engines to encourage shedding the oil off the rods.

I don't think it was based on anything than your buddy Louie having a hunch, which his line of thinking is / has been unfounded.
-Bob
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

What got me thinking about this is a discussion about H beam rods holding more oil on them than I beams.

Been many years since Louie bit the dust but he was a thinker and had a little twist to everything he did.
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

About sixty years ago, the Hot Rod Magazine Annual had a furrin' engine section. One featured was an Austin Healey 2.6; a photo showed the crankshaft and connecting rods polished to a mirror shine.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

A lot of this was just done via intuition. A lot of thinking / imagining about what is happening because nobody really knew what was happening. We know better now. It doesn't mean these guys were dumb, but they really just didn't know any better and were just trying things they thought made sense (good or bad).
-Bob
autogear
Vendor

Post by autogear »

Back in the days before corn squeezins were added to gasoline; guys used to paint a lot of stuff with Glyptal here. New Process used it as a sealant of sorts for some of their castings, so there was a LOT of it in Syracuse between NPG and GE and a lot of guys that came through those places as machinists etc kind of grabbed onto using it. Im not sure I'd trust it with ethanol laced fuel; if it came loose, who knows.
gunt
Expert
Expert

Post by gunt »

Mirror polish replaced his idea , i'd say , and there's the added benefit of removing stress risers
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Yes Gunt, smoothing surfaces and polishing has proven to lessen the possibility of cracking and failure of stressed engine parts. Mark H.
AC sports
Pro
Pro

Post by AC sports »

Mirror polish and no shot peen?
I always thought the surface needed to be shot peened after polishing out potential stress raisers.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Krooser wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:48 am [*]My old racing buddy Louie always painted the connecting rods in his race engines to encourage shedding the oil off the rods.

Circle Track had a tech article about 14 years ago that found a measurable increase in output when an oil shedding coating was applied to the external surfaces of a crankshaft. See Figure 2.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/ctrp-06 ... echnology/

There is an adjective that describes your buddy Louie: perspicacious.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/perspicacious

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The rivulet shedding and oil droplet impact phenomena as well as aerodynamics of a high speed connecting rod would be difficult to model exactly even today.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

I would use isotropic treatment, it's non-directional finish which improves the surface finish and edges of machined components being used on crankshafts, rods and cams etc.............local builder swears the parts last longer because of this process.
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Here is a question i have.....Is it OK to polish a steel piece such as the sides of a shot peened steel H-Beam Con-Rod :?: Mark H
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

swampbuggy wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:45 pm Here is a question i have.....Is it OK to polish a steel piece such as the sides of a shot peened steel H-Beam Con-Rod :?: Mark H
Polish is a subjective term. Do you mean grinding away the dimpled (compressed) surface?
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Post by swampbuggy »

Kevin, i was thinking hand sanding w/ 320-400-600. If you look at a Carrillo, Oliver, Crower, or Pankl that has been shot peened the surface is really not very rough. It is most likely a waste of time anyway ?? Mark H.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

:-k
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S014381660000083X wrote:Abstract
Laser shot peening has been developed as a surface treatment to metals. It has been shown to induce surface residual stresses comparable to those achieved by conventional shot peening, but to much greater depths. The laser technology employed is described and some test results are presented.
For a budding post graduate mechanical engineer; a lifetime of study:
https://scholar.google.com/scholar?star ... s_sdt=0,10