Open to topics unrelated to Speed-Talk.
No politics. No religion topics.

Moderator: Team

Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Protected Coyotes in California

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Fully built up area in SoCal. Coyotes boldly roaming streets and yards. You cannot disturb them as they are protected.

My Dad reported that a "female" Coyote had five pups in the bushes outside their front door -- their new den. What could possibly go wrong?

Animal control told him they could not disturb them because they are protected.

He replied that the pups would be gathered in a paper bag and slowly driven to animal control so that the Mother could follow and the bag carefully placed in their lobby.

They decided that they could safely relocate the pups (and Mother) after all.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Protected Coyotes in California

Post by Kevin Johnson »

I will momentarily be writing to my Father. It sounds like the local animal control was confabulating (a nice way to say lying) that they are protected.

My Father has to walk to the community mailbox center (they are dispersed through the neighborhoods). This is when he sees the coyotes roaming along the streets and neighbor's yards.

https://www.ocregister.com/2020/05/20/t ... una-beach/
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

once they overpopulate they get mange. Then they starve to death and lose all their fur, starting with their tail fur. As they starve they got more bold. I shot one standing by my house this winter. Here they freeze to death before they starve to death. A few years ago i shot 35 coyotes within about 5 miles of my house. A prime Coyote hide is worth $100 + in my area.
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

prairiehotrodder wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:13 pm once they overpopulate they get mange. Then they starve to death and lose all their fur, starting with their tail fur. As they starve they got more bold. I shot one standing by my house this winter. Here they freeze to death before they starve to death. A few years ago i shot 35 coyotes within about 5 miles of my house. A prime Coyote hide is worth $100 + in my area.
New action adventure reality show:

San Francisco Coyote Furriers
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

True story, Webster NY, a town near Rochester, it's on the border between the suburbs and rural farms. Webster police get a call about a sick looking coyote in a upscale housing tract. The officer arrives and sees a really bad looking coyote...He calls the dispatch on a cell phone and wants permission to shoot it...He is told no way will he discharge his weapon ...The cop says he has small buck shot and will use caution.....No is the reply, we are trying to get animal control down there...About that time the coyote stumbles in front of the patrol car.....The officer drops his Crown Vic into gear and runs over the coyote....The officer figures he did good taking out a possibly rabid animal... He gets some time off for disobeying orders when citizens are upset over the coyote bashing...
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

Ch. 6, paragraph 472. The following nongame birds and mammals may be taken at any time of the year and in any number except as prohibited in Chapter 6: English sparrow, starling, domestic pigeon ( Columba livia) except as prohibited in Fish and Game Code section 3680, COYOTE, weasels, skunks, opossum, moles and rodents (excluding tree and flying squirrels, and those listed as furbearers, endangered or threatened species).

It's a non game animal, similar to killing a pigeon or rat. And you can take coyote any time. Dunno who the animal control officer was, but they were wrong. If it's in city limits though, there are likely restrictions on discharging a firearm in the city limits. Just don't get caught selling the hide or anything stupid like that.

We had a pigeon problem at work for a few years. When I called the city and bitched, their boilerplate response was, "You can't discharge a firearm in the city limits, sir." I asked, "What about a pellet gun?" Clerk responded, "It's not a firearm, sir." I responded, "Ok, I get it. Thanks!"

If you want to do it clandestinely, without attracting attention, there are .50 cal pellet guns now, with silencers, that are very quiet. The noise of the impact makes more noise than anything else. 230 grain pellet, 800 fps. About the same power as a .45 ACP.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

dannobee wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:03 pm Ch. 6, paragraph 472. The following nongame birds and mammals may be taken at any time of the year and in any number except as prohibited in Chapter 6: English sparrow, starling, domestic pigeon ( Columba livia) except as prohibited in Fish and Game Code section 3680, COYOTE, weasels, skunks, opossum, moles and rodents (excluding tree and flying squirrels, and those listed as furbearers, endangered or threatened species).

It's a non game animal, similar to killing a pigeon or rat. And you can take coyote any time. Dunno who the animal control officer was, but they were wrong. If it's in city limits though, there are likely restrictions on discharging a firearm in the city limits. Just don't get caught selling the hide or anything stupid like that.

We had a pigeon problem at work for a few years. When I called the city and bitched, their boilerplate response was, "You can't discharge a firearm in the city limits, sir." I asked, "What about a pellet gun?" Clerk responded, "It's not a firearm, sir." I responded, "Ok, I get it. Thanks!"
If you want to do it clandestinely, without attracting attention, there are .50 cal pellet guns now, with silencers, that are very quiet. The noise of the impact makes more noise than anything else. 230 grain pellet, 800 fps. About the same power as a .45 ACP.
My Dad printed up copies of that section and distributed it to neighbors. A long time ago a rabid dog was circling our home in Illinois trapping my Mom inside. He drove home and used the M1 Garand that he had on loan from the Armory. My Mom and Dad met at a rifle match but she used .22 Long Rifle bolt actions which would be risky on a charging animal.
HS Nova
Expert
Expert

Post by HS Nova »

I live in Long Beach, Ca. and welcome the coyotes in my neighborhood. They do a good job of keeping the feral cat population that love to poop in my yard every night at a reasonable number. God bless the coyotes.
1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm »

They kill more than feral cats. The kill small dogs and pet cats.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

HS Nova wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:24 pm I live in Long Beach, Ca. and welcome the coyotes in my neighborhood. They do a good job of keeping the feral cat population that love to poop in my yard every night at a reasonable number. God bless the coyotes.
Quite a number of my Sister's husband's family live in Long Beach. I have stayed in the second residence he maintains there. The mail is delivered to the porch. They have not mentioned coyotes but they do not have pets.

When I lived in Livermore, a feral cat had a litter in our garage. I was able to humanely trap all of them and give them to animal control. All, save one. That last one I slowly trained to eat food and finally domesticated it. It made the journey to Florida about 25 years ago.

Here is an article from a Long Beach lawyer that gives a quick synopsis of the situation back in 2015.

https://michellawyers.com/coyote-attack ... volvement/
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

Locals use to hunt coyotes here at night.This is a rural area with lots of smaller farms and scattered groups of houses They used .22 rifles to lessen the noise and bullet travel from a miss...A 22 rifle head shot will drop a coyote at 75 yards...The hunters discovered the more they killed, the more were born the next year. I hear them yipping at night sometimes but they seem to stay in the woods. We have chickens so they would not be welcome...
Coyotes get quite bold in suburban areas were they are safe from predators,aka humans with weapons. If your smaller pet is indoors at night and you keep away, your garbage secured so coyotes can't get into it,they will move on..It's the same thing with raccoons.The problem is too many people don't do this and the problem persists...
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
HS Nova
Expert
Expert

Post by HS Nova »

1989TransAm wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:09 pm They kill more than feral cats. The kill small dogs and pet cats.
Mother nature doing her thing.
1989TransAm
Guru
Guru

Post by 1989TransAm »

HS Nova wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:26 pm
1989TransAm wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:09 pm They kill more than feral cats. The kill small dogs and pet cats.
Are Human's part of Mother Nature?
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

1989TransAm wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:37 pm
HS Nova wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:26 pm
Are Human's part of Mother Nature?
There have been just 3 documented cases of coyotes killing humans in the last 75 years in the USA. More get bitten but it's still rare. The risk of getting attacked by a neighbor's dog is much more likely..
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »