EPA proves Drag Chevette WRONG

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

MaxFlow
Expert
Expert

Post by MaxFlow »

I honestly believe that if anyone thinks their shit don't stink on a subject they haven't been in the right place at the right time. You always have to enter a situation with a certain animosity and something to add or take away.

Changine fuels is just one issue. How about changing port and chamber design for E85. Simply changing carbs isn't the most efficient way. Is it?

I'm sure it isn't going from gas to methanol..........so why would it be any different?

I hate people fighting and bashing each other on these boards. I was a little 2cent engine builder at one time.......can I compete with Sherman or Bischoff ect............hell no........bottom line. Economies of scale prevents that from happening.

My mousetrap is better than your mousetrap........ :lol:
Joe Stalnaker
WV
Drag Chevette
Pro
Pro
Re: Wow....

Post by Drag Chevette »

Patrick James,
I apologize to you for anything I may have said or did to offend you,

your carburetors are some of the best and I really didnt want to get aquanted this way....I would have rather it been civil.

Im sorry to you and the readers of this board about the retaliation comments that I have made, I put myself in the wrong....and I am man enough to admit it. I should have NEVER done that....

I will also admit that I do not know everything there is to know about E85, or the science involved.....im not sure I need to know how it burns to build a carb that makes a car run faster then ever before.... I picked up .14 going from gas to E85.....no matter what you race .14 is alot to pick up by just a carb change.

there is room for both Mr James and myself on this board, and im sure I can learn from Mr James as I have learned from many in the past.....

I just ask Patrick, dont attack me on something you dont know about me....like if my carb has been flow tested..etc....

I hope my apology is accepted by all and Mr James can see his way back to the forum,

thank you all for the support I have had on building my cabs over the last few years, and I appreciate each and ever one of your imputs.

I read your post on your page, and yes, we did grab pitchforks and rocks....but I honistly think it was in defense of the little guy....
even little david slew goliath with just a rock.

thank you, and again...im sorry to all.
Last edited by Drag Chevette on Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
SWR
Guru
Guru

Post by SWR »

banjo wrote:If I am reading the graph correctly, In any of the A/F ranges that you would actually run your engine in, the burn rate of ethanol is faster on all accounts. The only place where gasolines burn rate exceeds it is when the ratios go on the extreme lean side of 1.4 lambda(converted from lambda, gas at 20.5 and the ethonal at 12.6). Most likely an engine would not be able to run being this lean.
It's not Lambda... it's written using the Fuel / Air Equivalence Ratio.. Which turns it on it's head.
Wikipedia wrote:Another advantage of using the equivalence ratio is that ratios greater than one always represent excess fuel in the fuel-oxidizer mixture than would be required for complete combustion (stoichiometric reaction) irrespective of the fuel and oxidizer being used. While ratios less than 1 represent a deficiency of fuel or equivalently excess oxidizer in the mixture.
Larry (Hotrod) made a nice little chart..

Code: Select all

Fuel                      AFRst     FARst     Equivalence   Lambda
----                      -----     -----       Ratio       -----
=======================--====================================

Gasoline	stoich	       14.7    0.068       1           1
Gasoline Max power rich    12.5    0.08        1.176       0.8503
Gasoline Max power lean	 13.23   0.0755      1.111       0.900

E85 stoich		           9.765	 0.01235    1          1
E85 Max power rich	      6.975    0.1434     1.40       0.7143
E85 Max power lean	      8.4687   0.118      1.153      0.8673

E100 stoich		          9.0	   0.111      1	       1
E100 Max power rich	     6.429	 0.155      1.4        0.714
E100 Max power lean	     7.8      0.128      1.15       0.870

-Bjørn

"Impossible? Nah...just needs more development time"
FastFourierTransportation
Expert
Expert

Post by FastFourierTransportation »

Man, another argument about timing and alcohol! :lol:

I thought this was settled ages ago ...

Laminar flame speed is more closely related to the Rapid Burn Angle, but the ignition temperature is proportional to the Flame Development Angle.

Ergo, while alcohol burns faster, once the flame wave forms, the flame kernel takes longer to develop (and varies highly, based on CR, squish, A/F ratio, etc) ...

... leading to discrepancies which can't be solved with a simple conversion calculator. :-k
A theory without experiment is like a painter without sight, but an experiment with no theory is just a 4 year old with paint.

Practical Engineering is finding new and better ways to copy other people's designs.
W. Tripp
Expert
Expert

Post by W. Tripp »

FastFourierTransportation wrote:...Ergo, while alcohol burns faster, once the flame wave forms, the flame kernel takes longer to develop (and varies highly, based on CR, squish, A/F ratio, etc) ...

... leading to discrepancies which can't be solved with a simple conversion calculator.
So very true.

More fuel for the fire:

I have only tested E98 ethanol due to an inability to purchase non-denatured ethanol (the law thing), E85 pump fuels, and 85%-95% ethanol mixes with different gasoline compositions. And my most recent testing is in smaller 600cc-1500cc inline performance engines. As a result my information may be corrupted, but I am able to control fuel and timing well at all throttle positions and loads, and I test at reduced throttle and loads regularly.

For best output, I have seen E98 require slightly more timing throughout the powerband compared to pump gas, but about the same as non-oxygenated race fuels. However, as compression is increased from 10.5:1 to 13.5:1, less timing is required for E98 compared to gas fuels. And my thought is that considerably more compression is required for ethanol than gasoline (even 112 octane race gas) in order to make fair comparisons.

When converted to a high output CDI, I normally see a nice gain up to peak torque rpm, and a slight gain beyond this on gasoline fuels, but generally require 3 degrees less advance than with a good inductive system for best output . With E98 and higher gasoline mixes in ethanol, the differences with CDI are even greater compared to gasoline fuels, with less advance needed for best output at WOT. Lower engine loads and speeds tend to require less advance as well.

Total cylinder capacity also seems to play a part. With smaller capacity engines showing slightly different requirements than engines twice their size, but similar design. But these same engines (67mm bore 600cc I4) tend to have total hydrocarbon exhaust counts that are 200%-250% larger than their larger cousins (75mm bore 1000cc I4), running the same fuel.

In my testing with engines limited to under 13.5:1 compression ratios, I have found that E98 does not make as much power as 85-90% mixes with the correct gasoline mixture. Getting the right characteristics for the gasoline making up the mixture definitely has its benefits.

There seem to be way to many variables to give a direct comparison to ignition advance requirements between gasoline and ethanol fuels, and methanol is a different beastie all together, IMHO.

Merry Christmas!
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

Drag Chevette wrote:Patrick James,

your carburetors are some of the best and I really didnt want to get aquanted this way....I would have rather it been civil.

Im sorry to you and the readers of this board about the retaliation comments that I have made, I put myself in the wrong....and I am man enough to admit it. I should have NEVER done that....

This speaks volumes... I for one thank you... might someone pass this along to Mr. James...
Eric68
Expert
Expert
Post by Eric68 »

Good info and post Mr Tripp. I have often wondered about the EPA graph on laminar flame speed and how (if at all) it translates into ignition advance requirements.

If one assumes that the difference in laminar flame speed translates directly into ignition advance requirements (I don't think it does personally) then the amount of ignition timing change required going from gas to E100 would be very significant.

Using some quick math in an excell spreadsheet -- in the AF ratio areas most often used at WOT (.83 Lambda / 1.2 FA equiv on gas and .77 Lambda / 1.3 FA equiv on E100), it appears that there would be a 17% difference in flame speed. That would imply about 6 degrees LESS timing advance required on E100 (just took the % difference in flame speed times 36* typical ignition advance).

I know that is some pretty fuzzy math, but if nothing else it seems to disprove that the EPA graph correlates directly into ignition advance requirements. The info presented about the flame kernel development seems to make a lot of sense.

It also seems that a slower initially developing flame kernel followed by a faster combustion event would be beneficial to power production because of what I think would be less reverse TQ as the piston approaches TDC on the compression stroke.
E85 racer and E85 carb builder
www.horsepowerinnovations.com

68 Camaro 427" E85 powered small block, 9.95 @ 133 mph best motor ET through the mufflers. 1.319 best sixty foot.
RW TECH
Guru
Guru

Post by RW TECH »

Drag Chevette wrote:Patrick James,

I will also admit that I do not know everything there is to know about E85, or the science involved.....im not sure I need to know how it burns to build a carb that makes a car run faster then ever before.... I picked up .14 going from gas to E85.....no matter what you race .14 is alot to pick up by just a carb change.

there is room for both Mr James and myself on this board, and im sure I can learn from Mr James as I have learned from many in the past.....

I just ask Patrick, dont attack me on something you dont know about me....like if my carb has been flow tested..etc....

I hope my apology is accepted by all and Mr James can see his way back to the forum,

thank you all for the support I have had on building my cabs over the last few years, and I appreciate each and ever one of your imputs.

I read your post on your page, and yes, we did grab pitchforks and rocks....but I honistly think it was in defense of the little guy....
even little david slew goliath with just a rock.

Going back & reading Patrick's initial postings, I think he should also be standing in line to make apologies. Not saying his information & background on the topic are off at all, but he was somewhat combative & it appeared to me that he wanted to quickly minimize your overall credibility.

On that comment, all I will say is there have been a couple of times where I bought carburetors from a guy who had all the capabilities to wet flow & hot test but in at least one case this did not happen even though there was a charge for it on my invoice.

In another case there was a large piece of tumbler media wedged into a corner of a Q-Jet that I paid a pretty fair amount of money for that was obviously overlooked. The reason why I found this chunk of debris was because I had to do something to lean out part-throttle. Using the carb as-delivered by someone who claimed to have wet flow & hot testing capabilities, I completely fouled a set of spark plugs after a 30-mile drive on the freeway. Since that time said builder has discontinued working with Q-Jets.......

Anyway, my point is it'd be great to have any participants on this board who can share technical insights & ask questions when things don't make sense.

This thread took a sharp turn for the worst and it didn't need to & probably wouldn't have if the focus of the discussion would've remained on E85 and carburetors, without any digs into what equipment one guy has or suggestions that the guy may be screwing customers if he doesn't have this or that. Obviously customers can be screwed by people who DO have that equipment & I've got a couple of carbs on my shelf that are real proof.
Tuner
Guru
Guru
Post by Tuner »

I thought those charts in the EPA document looked familiar. Here’s the long version in the link in this post.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/foru ... stcount=35

and another paper from the clowns at MIT (what do they know?) in the link in this post

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/foru ... ostcount=9

The reference to “higher laminar flame speed” in the first link in this thread is not in context of ignition timing. The author is illustrating the ethanol combustion characteristic that enables it to run well leaner than gasoline. The context is that of the chart caption “Flammability Limits of Ethanol Blends” and further defined as “Extended dilute flammability limit for ethanol compared to gasoline”.

Laminar flame speed refers to intermolecular reactions irrespective of turbulence. Historically, such measurements were taken with a long tube and a quiescent vapor. Last time I checked it was turbulent in engine cylinders during combustion.

This thread has an agricultural flair about it, fruits and nuts. The nuts are cherry picking information to support their fruitcake comparison of apples and oranges. It’s all good information but to refer to it out of context to make a point suggests intentional manipulation or willful ignorance if the cherry picker actually understands how close he is to the top rung on the ladder. The phrase “Bonfire of the Vanities” comes to mind.
Last edited by Tuner on Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

Merry Christmas Tuner!!! And to all!!!
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.
Tuner
Guru
Guru
Post by Tuner »

Ho Ho Ho !!
pdq67
Guru
Guru
Re: EPA proves Drag Chevette WRONG

Post by pdq67 »

Back from the dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anybody REALLY know the top CR limit is for pump E85?

I have read like 17.5 to 1 or so in Turbo race engine configurations.

I do figure that at say, 13.5 to 14 to 1 CR, it would power great high compressioned street engines as long as I could get it locally here in central MO. (Columbia, MO)...

pdq67
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

old fastback 67 wrote: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:05 am Not doubting your experience, but Matthew Brusstar at the EPA stated in this article http://www.epa.gov/OMS/presentations/gni-mjb-051303.pdf that ethanol has a higher laminar flame speed than gasoline. See the chart on page 9. I saw a disagreement between Pro Systems and a Sullens guy and I know the facts. Here are the facts. EPA agrees with Pro Systems findings and COMPLETELY disagrees with Sullens.
PDF no longer available? :)
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

GARY C wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:27 pm
old fastback 67 wrote: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:05 am Not doubting your experience, but Matthew Brusstar at the EPA stated in this article http://www.epa.gov/OMS/presentations/gni-mjb-051303.pdf that ethanol has a higher laminar flame speed than gasoline. See the chart on page 9. I saw a disagreement between Pro Systems and a Sullens guy and I know the facts. Here are the facts. EPA agrees with Pro Systems findings and COMPLETELY disagrees with Sullens.
PDF no longer available? :)
http://stonis-world.com/docs/gni-mjb-051303.pdf
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

pdq67 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:51 pm Back from the dead!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anybody REALLY know the top CR limit is for pump E85?

I have read like 17.5 to 1 or so in Turbo race engine configurations.

I do figure that at say, 13.5 to 14 to 1 CR, it would power great high compressioned street engines as long as I could get it locally here in central MO. (Columbia, MO)...

pdq67
We ran 14.2 to one regularly with no ill effects. I dyno'ed my 15.5 to 1 SB2.2 on an inertia dyno with no problem, just made less power than race gas.
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.