My old '67 Camaro 350SS car.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

pdq67
Guru
Guru
My old '67 Camaro 350SS car.

Post by pdq67 »

It now has a mild 496 in it that is like 9.5 to 1 CR and just an old school CC 282s solid lifter cam as well as Merlin cast-iron large ovals, (2.19/1.88 valves).

Small 4-tube, long tube headers is all. Oh, about forgot, a Strip Dom with an old 3310-1 carb.

M-20 4-speed and just a 3.31 posi- 12-bolt.

Years and years ago per D2k, my engine should be right at 550hp@ 5500 rpm and 580T at 4500 rpm???

I do have S/F connectors and slappers on it.

What should it run in the quarter mile??

pdq67

PS., btw, DRAG said like 10.5 at 130 mph?????? If I didn't break anything? Small real slicks here.
Old School
Pro
Pro
Re: My old '67 Camaro 350SS car.

Post by Old School »

Could you post a picture of your car? We have heard a lot about it and your dreams for it. I am wanting to see how your 325 does in it.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Old School,

Sorry but I don't know how to post pictures.

It is just like the blue car back then that was in the sales brochores(Sp.) is all

When I didn't have it for like 8 years or so, somebody repainted it the most nasty paint job I've ever seen. Still Blue though. No white Bumble Bee stripe now.

A guy by the name of Johnson had it for like 4 years and then the guy I bought back from, Studer(Sp.) had it garaged for like 4 years.

I think Studer got his ass in trouble with John Law driving my car and ended up in the Navy for four years if I have this right??

Sh*t, just like me and Trooper Roy Beale back then!!

Roy finally got my ass for a month no driving back in '66. He was after me because he couldn't catch me the one time I went from Moberly, MO to Macon running like 145 mph!!

My '67 Camaro car WOULD RUN!!

And I drove it this way.....................

pdq67
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

Paul, what does your car need finished before it is drivable?
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Travis,

Fix my broke drivers side door latch.. I can't open it now.

I want to put the battery in the trunk for better weight distribution. (A battery!!)...

Bleed my 4-wheel disc brake conversion and install a short piece of tubing at the master cylinder for my prop valve.

I still need to tie together my rear multi-leaf springs.

Probably should space my rear wheels out farther?

A tire alignment done..

Finish installing my power steering hoses and belt.

Fill it with coolant.

Put my new 850 carb on it.

And install my dizzy and it should be ready to roll...

Of course tune it up.....

Oh, and double check all suspension nuts and bolts..

Actually, not much at all IF I would just get off my dead as*!!!

pdq67
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

When you're old, you have to move fast and get stuff done ....You and Harry spend to much time talking non vehicle crap and not getting the car done... :D :D
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
BigBro74
Expert
Expert

Post by BigBro74 »

Truckedup wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:56 am When you're old, you have to move fast and get stuff done ....You and Harry spend to much time talking non vehicle crap and not getting the car done... :D :D
pdq67 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:29 am Travis,

Fix my broke drivers side door latch.. I can't open it now.

I want to put the battery in the trunk for better weight distribution. (A battery!!)...

Bleed my 4-wheel disc brake conversion and install a short piece of tubing at the master cylinder for my prop valve.

I still need to tie together my rear multi-leaf springs.

Probably should space my rear wheels out farther?

A tire alignment done..

Finish installing my power steering hoses and belt.

Fill it with coolant.

Put my new 850 carb on it.

And install my dizzy and it should be ready to roll...

Of course tune it up.....

Oh, and double check all suspension nuts and bolts..

Actually, not much at all IF I would just get off my dead as*!!!

pdq67
Put all that stuff on a little list that you can cross out when you get it done - it’s very satisfying to cross things off the list😬
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

I know that I have become dammed near worthless in my old age AND I need to stop being so!!

pdq67
Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Post by Truckedup »

Ok Paul, this is day one of getting the Camaro running...
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Post by skinny z »

BigBro74 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:42 am Put all that stuff on a little list that you can cross out when you get it done - it’s very satisfying to cross things off the list😬
This is so true. And exactly how I live my old(er) age!!
I have lists of lists that I revisit just to cross things off.... :lol:
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

pdq67 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:41 am Old School,

Sorry but I don't know how to post pictures.

It is just like the blue car back then that was in the sales brochores(Sp.) is all

When I didn't have it for like 8 years or so, somebody repainted it the most nasty paint job I've ever seen. Still Blue though. No white Bumble Bee stripe now.

A guy by the name of Johnson had it for like 4 years and then the guy I bought back from, Studer(Sp.) had it garaged for like 4 years.

I think Studer got his ass in trouble with John Law driving my car and ended up in the Navy for four years if I have this right??

Sh*t, just like me and Trooper Roy Beale back then!!

Roy finally got my ass for a month no driving back in '66. He was after me because he couldn't catch me the one time I went from Moberly, MO to Macon running like 145 mph!!

My '67 Camaro car WOULD RUN!!

And I drove it this way.....................

pdq67
Sorry!! Back in '67 instead of '66!

I left my girlfriends house at like 3:50 or so AM and went north on the Magic Mile in Moberly, MO until I got by the Drive-In and kicked my car!

145 mph or so, Never let up until I hit the Excello, MO curves on Hwy 63, and then only slowed down to 100 mph!

Kicked it again and came into Macon, MO to my Mom's place at 4:01 or 02 AM or so.

She said that I just missed my car pool so come in and get your clothes and I will fix you some breakfast.

Well, 15 minutes later my car pool showed back up and they said that they had a flat tire and changed it so since I was always on time, they pulled back around to see if I was here.

Anyway, I put my stuff in their car and hit the back seat and as we were leaving Macon at Hwy 63 and Hwy 36, there was a State Patrol car, a County Deputy car and a city Cop car all sitting there, waiting for me to go north to work.

And a week later, back in Macon, I couldn't leave town without having a tail on my ass!!

Ended up marrying my girlfriend!!

God, my old Camaro would run!!!

Oh, I had my dumps open!!! So made alotta noise!! Also had my old 9.50/14 mud and snow tires on it to get this speed!

pdq67
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Back again to continue my old, "pdq67', stories!!

Runnell's , IA here...

Back in '67, when my car was new, there was a guy, I think Ray Harmison? that had a '50 chevy 5-window 1/2 ton P/U that he had put a '64, 375hp FI 327 in 4-speed and rear end and all. He kept a couple a bales of straw in the bed just for the fun of it AND ran 8.00 real slicks!!

Any way we called him by his handle, "Nuts". He was an auto tranny expert that worked at the big Des Moines Chevy dealer.

He and I had at it and I always beat him like by a 1/2 car or so..

Nuts said that there was another blue Camaro-SS in Des Moines that had 2x4's on it, but he thought that my car could beat it.. We never got together to find out??

He finally talked me into installing the old -151 cam in my car 12,000 miles from new. He asked for a $20 bill so I gave it to him and he gave me back change from buying the cam. Like $18 for the cam and change for gaskets back then... He got a discount...

He even installed it Sat Morning and I asked him what I owed him and he said that the look on my face when it lit off was payment enough!! Needless to say, I bought the Bud that we both drank that afternoon.

That old -151 cam woke my 350SS engine right up to say the least!!

I always wondered what, "Nuts", is doing if he is still with us??

pdq67