motor mounts

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rfoll
Guru
Guru

Re: motor mounts

Post by rfoll »

If the mounts are like my late 70's vehicles, they are the clamshell type. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ani- ... del/impala
So much to do, so little time...
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Throw those suckers away and get stock '67 rip-a-part mounts and do what I did above! Unless the Inspection Law says that you can't??

You will never have any mm problems again!!

In fact, I have new red poli mm's under my car now, BUT have NOS stock black rubber mm's in my bedroom that I eventually(Sp?) will change out.

pdq67

PS., 350SS, 409, 301, 327, 406 engines all on the same mounts through the years fine!!

I used chains and turnbuckles as well as cables and u-clamps to hold my engine down to no avail until I bolted the ripped stock mm's together using 3/8" nuts and bolts per above!!
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

Throttle Cables are not immune; especially transverse mounted motors w/bad mounts aka dog bone mount.

Let that 400-500 lb motor slam itself up against the limit of throttle cable & it'll pull that throttle blade WFO
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

You bolt the old '67 or so 6-banger rip-a-part mm's together like I said and you will never have a problem.

pdq67
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

rfoll wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:00 pm If the mounts are like my late 70's vehicles, they are the clamshell type. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ani- ... del/impala
I don't think the clamshell safety mount fits on corvettes. He'll need something like this. It has the locking tabs in case the rubber bonding breaks.
https://www.corvettemods.com/C3-Corvett ... TEQAvD_BwE
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

I just gave away a set of those, new but didn't work with any car I have.
So much to do, so little time...
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"You bolt the old '67 or so 6-banger rip-a-part mm's together like I said and you will never have a problem."

3/8" Grade-8, 45 degree Allen heads and put the nuts on the side that faces the block so they will fit right!!

This so simple!!

Pein the nuts to keep them from coming loose.

pdq67
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

Yesterday I got some more info from a guy that my brother in law knew and who works at another tech inspection center.
The car has no issue with the mounts (as I suspected). I still have a temporary clearance to drive the car for 3 months. Apparently if the mounts were really bad they had to declare the car unfit for road use immediately and you'll have repair the car immediately. There was a special code on the report which is introduced by the station manager. According to the guy this was done so they could start up a special procedure for acceptance of the mods on my engine (mainly the fuel injected ITB system and tuning). They use this to do it this way as there is no special code for this situation.
So there is nothing wrong with the mounts.

This however places my in another situation for which I will make another thread as I need some advice from you guys.