Where to order camshaft blanks - unground cams to grind

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Where to order camshaft blanks - unground cams to grind

Post by hoffman900 »

Web Cams and Danny Crower do that still. I know people who have had surface issues with Web. Mike Jones recommends Danny Crower for welding, those two go back to their Indy Car days.
-Bob
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

californiamilleghia wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:35 pm
Still no reply from Estas , I will send them an email to the main office in Turkey tonight ,
Hopefully, someone from the Turkey office will get back to you.
I have had horrible luck with Estas cores, and the customer service from their CA office.
We have seem many cores, with inclusions in the castings. We'll be half through grinding a lobe, and a hole will open up in the lobe face. Sometimes we can grind down past that. Other times, we have to throw the core away.

Your best bet, is Engine Power Components.
I've talked to a few companies out of China, and they will do small runs(200-500 pieces), at a reasonable price. Thier quality looks good, but I've never used them.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

CamKing wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:33 pmI have had horrible luck with Estas cores, and the customer service from their CA office.
We have seen many cores, with inclusions in the castings. We'll be half through grinding a lobe, and a hole will open up in the lobe face. Sometimes we can grind down past that. Other times, we have to throw the core away.
Finding a casting flaw during grinding is the good news. The bad news is when it's just below the surface and a few high rev high spring pressure passes causes it to break through. Then, the rough surface eats the lifter and the engine is full of trash. BTDT.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
californiamilleghia

Post by californiamilleghia »

CamKing said
"Your best bet, is Engine Power Components.
I've talked to a few companies out of China, and they will do small runs(200-500 pieces), at a reasonable price. Thier quality looks good, but I've never used them."

Just got off the phone with Engine Power Components ,

They do not make the early VW cam blanks , they do make the 1961 and newer blanks....

The search goes on,,,,,,,