SBC intakes.

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

pdq67
Guru
Guru
SBC intakes.

Post by pdq67 »

What is the single plane SBC intake eq. of the old 300-36 intake?

I thinking just the old Victor, (Jr.??), am I right?

Might get one just to have is all here since I have a new in box 300-36 in my bedroom stash now.

pdq67
Ericnova
Pro
Pro

Re: SBC intakes.

Post by Ericnova »

The 300-36 is the Street Dominator dual plane, the copy of the old Z28 factory aluminum dual plane.

There were several single plane intakes with the Street Dominator name, but different numbers, like the 300-28z for example, the divided single plane with the weird crossover track that connect the #7 intake runner with the #8 by way of a passage that went under the distributor body....of ten called the "Z series" manifold.
There is another Street Dominator single plane with the number 300-19, it is just like the 300-28z but without the plenum divider and without the rear crossover track.
There is a 300-1, probably the grandaddy of all the single plane Street Doms, it is probably best described as very similar runner shape to the original Weiand Accelerator, but with a spreadbore carb pad.
Holley just reused the Street Dominator and Strip Dominator name over and over with each new evolution getting a new number when redesigned.

The 300-2 STRIP Dom single plane is probably the closest to a Vic Jr, it is the ancestor of the 300-25 Strip Dom you'd recognize today.

All the old Street Dom single planes would fall into the class of intake similar to the old original Edelbrock Torker, or maybe the TM-1....none of the Street Doms are anywhere near as good as a Vic Jr, and not even as good as the Edelbrock Scorpion that came before the Vic Jr

Just search Ebay with the Street Dominator mane and you'll get a bunch of hits on various different versions of older vintage.
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

Eric,

Please post a modern part number of a single plane intake that fits right along with old 300-36 dual plane.

Victor or Jr.??

pdq67
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Your bed room stash?
Is that your overstock area and the rest is in the garage or basement?
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

pdq67 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:29 am What is the single plane SBC intake eq. of the old 300-36 intake?

I thinking just the old Victor, (Jr.??), am I right?

Might get one just to have is all here since I have a new in box 300-36 in my bedroom stash now.

pdq67
Victor Jr. SBC sucks, 300-25 of a 2925 Super Victor is a way better single plane. The 2 best are the 300-110 Holley and the SV II.
Ericnova
Pro
Pro

Post by Ericnova »

pdq67 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:33 am Eric,

Please post a modern part number of a single plane intake that fits right along with old 300-36 dual plane.

Victor or Jr.??

pdq67
You've totally lost me on that question....the 300-36 is a dual plane, the Victor Jr is a single plane...I have no idea what you mean or what you are asking by "single plane that fits right along with the old 300-36 dual plane"?
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Single plane intake manifolds are different than dual planes are. The Professional Products Hurricane single planes work very well for a single plane sbc intake manifold.
Dual planes are a different beast. As a power trend, the taller height of either type the better they work on a high perf engine.
The intake manifold that will fit under a stock hood is another story.
falcongeorge
Expert
Expert

Post by falcongeorge »

pdq67 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:33 am Eric,

Victor or Jr.??

pdq67
Your question is not very clear. If what you are saying is you are looking for a single plane that will deliver similar performance to the 300-36 over a 3000-6500 rpm power band on a typical 350ci street motor, the Weiand #7525 with the runner tops radiused into the plenum, the dividers extended about 1/4" with epoxy, and a nice broad radius on the end of the dividers has worked VERY well for me. I have one on the 327 in my driver chevy II with a Q-jet, 3800 stall, 200-4r and 4.11's, shifted at 6800, it works really good in this application, and fits under the stock hood, even with a cold air package with hoses routed through the rad support. I found mine at a swap meet for $75, so the price is right too.The 300-25 is another good choice, but can be too tall for a lot of combinations, if hood clearance is a concern.
I suspect I am wasting band width here, but if this is for your "302 with 3.31 gears" idea, I would stick with the 300-36, and I would leave the plenum divider full height. I normally tend more toward single planes than most guys do, but on a little motor with tall gears? I did do stuff like this back in the seventies, when I was a teenager, but I have learned a few things since then.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

If you did want a single plane to act more closely like a dual plane does put a plenum divider in it. It will do more of what a dual plane tends to do better. EG work better on your 302-325 sbc in a Camaro with 3.31's, on the street.
It then will tend to be more friendly to s bigger carb on the street too.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

If you want a modern design street manifold that is more powerfull than the 300-36 is yet retains all the superior drivability of, get a Edelbrock Performer RPM Dual Quad manifold and 2x4carbs. It will make more torque and more upper rpm power and range too . Matching or exceeding the top end perf of a single plane ,on a street type motor.
Edelbrock and Holley should get together and produce a 3x2 holley carb version of the big dual plane high rise RPM intake for both the SBC, BBC and the LS motors.
pastry_chef
Pro
Pro

Post by pastry_chef »

Disappointed, yet not surprised to hear that 300-36 never had fuel/air through it.
I know you've read many times that cams / intakes have RPM ranges they run well in.
IF the goal is to seriously have an engine that runs?
What engine size and how fast of an ET goal?

Edel RPM x2 darn nice dual-plane.

Run away, but we're running in circles... wait that's a song. :)

At this page you can request Summit send you a catalog, when it arrives you can browse through it all day and learn what is available.
https://www.summitracing.com/catalog
Mike R
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

No, just want to know what single plane was available back when the 300-36 was popular is all.

Was it the Victor or Victor Jr.

You know, a 300-36 dual plane and a (????) single plane is all...

pdq67
Ericnova
Pro
Pro

Post by Ericnova »

Well Holley made the 300-36 for like 15 years, if not longer, just with minor changes through the years, so we would need to know about what time frame you are looking for.
Edelbrock Tarantula was mid 1970's, Edelbrock Scorpion took it's place late 1970's to about 1982, Edelbrock Victor Jr 2975 took its place. The Victor Jr line also branched out about that time 1986ish...Victor E, Victor 4X4 with different height and/or volume plenums
pdq67
Guru
Guru

Post by pdq67 »

In other words, the old Edelbrock Tarantula, was the single plane that came out about the time the 300-36 did, Right??

pdq67
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

The 300-36 was released in the early 80's ... there were several single plane manifolds released around that time from different manufacturers.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.