valve lash

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

dondon
valve lash

Post by dondon »

I watched a episode of road kill and they were dynoing a motor with a hydro roller cam, they later put solid rollers on the HR cam. how would they determine what the valve lash should be. they did pick up about 7 hp. Is this a practical swap as my hydraulic lifters pumped up at about 5800 and the power was still climbing on the first pull at 6000, should of gone to about 6200
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Re: valve lash

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

The valve lash would be set between .002" and .009".
There are lots of factors as to why your hyd lifters are giving up the ghost too soon... cam profile not stable. weak valve springs. lifter collapse or pump up. . Pushrod instability.
Air in oil. Swapping in solid rollers helps determine what is coming up short. They don't pump up nor collapse, nor are affected by air in the oil. . They tend to be lighter and can take more spring pressure to keep the valvetrain in control.
The lash would be set very tight...
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Is yours a big block chevy engine?
dondon

Post by dondon »

331 cu. in. sbf, promaxx heads, after market pushrods, elgin hr 224/232 .542/.563, roller rockers,
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Limited info.. Eliminate the whole ignition system as the cause, first.
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

The factory valve springs that come on those heads are a little light on pressure
My427stang
Expert
Expert

Post by My427stang »

To spin a hyd roller you need to look closely at lobe design and springs, not only open pressure but seat pressure is critical too.

Often a lobe is so quick that it can be noisy and hard to control. However, before I changed cams or lifters, I would look at open and closed height/pressures first. On my FEs which are much heavier, I like 150 closed, 400-ish open. Might be excessive for you, but it's a good reference.

Then be sure you are adjusting preload properly and ensure you are running the correct oil for the lifters, when in doubt, a good racing 10w30 blend should get you there. You may find a Saturday morning spring setup and oil change will get you quite a bit more RPM.
Bullock's Power Service, LLC
Plattsmouth, NE
70 Mustang, 489 FE, TKO-600, Massflo SEFI, 4.11s
71 F100 SB 4x4, 461 FE, 4 speed, port injected EFI, 3.50s
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

How has your spring pressure changed since that first pull?

Will the motor rev passed 6K with no load on it?
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!