If you could print any engine you could imagine

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

pdq67
Guru
Guru
Re: If you could print any engine you could imagine

Post by pdq67 »

A modern Jeep Tornado SOHC, 6-banger, engine top end that would bolt onto a SBC..

Hemi heads and all..

Probably be easier to make for a 221/260/289/302 Ford engine though because of the 4-head bolt design vs a SBC's 5-head bolts.

I like dreaming like this...

pdq67
jacksoni
Guru
Guru

Post by jacksoni »

"As a fictional engine, I'd take a modern Superbike engine like the BMWS1000RR and scale it up with a 4" bore, keep the 2" stroke, and make it a V8. Should be a 15,000rpm capable 3.3L (202ci) V8. I'd put it in a small modern Formula Car with all the aero bits. It would be super lightweight as well. "

Already not fictional=http://www.synergypower.co.nz/
Bwh998

Post by Bwh998 »

I'd just print up a nice simple mech injected bbc and then start printing up a replica of the baddest car ever built to put it in.
unnamed.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Bwh998 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:54 am I'd just print up a nice simple mech injected bbc and then start printing up a replica of the baddest car ever built to put it in.unnamed.jpg
Did you see one of them flipped over at Road America the other week? Driver somehow walked away...

-Bob
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

jacksoni wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:49 am "As a fictional engine, I'd take a modern Superbike engine like the BMWS1000RR and scale it up with a 4" bore, keep the 2" stroke, and make it a V8. Should be a 15,000rpm capable 3.3L (202ci) V8. I'd put it in a small modern Formula Car with all the aero bits. It would be super lightweight as well. "

Already not fictional=http://www.synergypower.co.nz/

I do! Neels' program helped with that. I would go a little bigger and have some new heads "printed" for the larger bore spacing / bore. Just scale up an existing modern head, those Kawi's are getting a little dated.
-Bob
Bwh998

Post by Bwh998 »

hoffman900 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:01 am
Bwh998 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:54 am I'd just print up a nice simple mech injected bbc and then start printing up a replica of the baddest car ever built to put it in.unnamed.jpg
Did you see one of them flipped over at Road America the other week? Driver somehow walked away...

No I didn't, that's amazing.
dannobee
Expert
Expert

Post by dannobee »

That flip looks eerily similar to the Mercedes CLR flips at LeMans in 1999. Didn't 2 of them flip before Mercedes pulled the plug? One did a triple gainer.

hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

dannobee wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:01 pm That flip looks eerily similar to the Mercedes CLR flips at LeMans in 1999. Didn't 2 of them flip before Mercedes pulled the plug? One did a triple gainer.

They did, as did...

Yannick Dalmas in a Porsche at Road Atlanta

Bill Auberlen in the BMW at Road Atlanta

So did John Morton in the Nissan GTP at Lime Rock

Then Chip Robinson and Geoff Brabham did in the Nissan GTP at Road Atlanta.

The vintage stuff is awesome, but they're making more power now than they ever did, the chassis are still dangerous, and as you get into the aero era of the 1970s and 1980s, there was a lot of trail and error, so if the conditions were right, you can get in trouble real fast.
-Bob
Crazy Dirt

Post by Crazy Dirt »

This is a little tame compared to some of the big displacement suggestions, but I’d love to build a 10 cylinder 15-degree V configuration with a unitized head, just for the sound in the 5-8000 rpm range. I’d stick it in something like a factory five type 65 coupe.
I love big muscle, but sometimes it’s fun to be the one-off in the crowd.
plovett
Expert
Expert

Post by plovett »

Wow! A blast from the past.

Today I want printed a Porsche flat 12, a la 917, around 5 liters. I am going to put it in a 914 and use up all that trunk space.

paul
plovett
Expert
Expert

Post by plovett »

plovett wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:22 pm Wow! A blast from the past.

Today I want printed a Porsche flat 12, a la 917, around 5 liters. I am going to put it in a 914 and use up all that trunk space.

paul
I think I forgot about the transaxle. :oops: It would have to be a stretched (Long tail) 914, or maybe a Porsche flat 8 would fit better?
Mark O'Neal
Guru
Guru

Post by Mark O'Neal »

I'd do the WARP engines from the starship Enterprise.

While I was at it, I'd print T'Pol
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »