Motor for an Ultima

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

j-rho
Motor for an Ultima

Post by j-rho »

Hi Speed Talk!

I recently ordered an Ultima RS (a small, British, enclosed Le-Mans style car) to use for a mix of road trips and hot laps on the road course. It won't be here for at least 6-7 months; in the meantime, have to decide how to power it.

The motor is the heart of the car and I'd like to put together something really special - would love this group's input on ideas.

Ultimas have been using GM V8s for decades, most recently LS and LT variants. Others have fit in European V10s and I think even small BMW V12s. The GM stuff is by far the most popular though - in addition to their size and weight benefits, adapters to affix them to mid-engine transaxles are plentiful.

I'd like to stay away from forced induction and anything finicky or high maintenance. Already have a '67 Camaro with a hot 302 for when I feel like dealing with a carburetor and SBC oil leaks :)

I intend to run Motec engine management with traction control, where it would be easy to switch between 91, 100, and 109 octane tunes depending on fuel available. The car will be used primarily at One Lap of America - an event where you run a bunch road course laps and then drive 5-600 highway miles 7 days in a row all over the country, with some drag racing thrown in. The motor needs to do this over and over and over and not break a sweat.

Power target is 750-800hp crank on 100 octane. For road course driveability, would like as flat as possible a torque curve from ~4000rpm to redline.

Some candidates:
A fully built 7-ish liter LS from Katech, Lingenfelter, Texas Speed, or the like (easy button)
Mercury Racing's SB4 (LS7 block with quad-cam heads, reliable 8000rpm redline)
Dodge Viper V10 with heads/cam (I ran Vipers for years and am fond of how understressed they are)

Had looked at an SB2 but maybe doesn't meet the "finicky" bar. The motor needs to idle in traffic and allow the car to get going smoothly from a stop.

There's more height available to fit a taller intake than you could in a front-engined car, which maybe helps.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts!
pdq67
Guru
Guru
Re: Motor for an Ultima

Post by pdq67 »

IF it will fit, no more than an old-school Chevy 427 L88 engine with no more than headers on it. Should be like 540 or so hp(??).

Will be solid as a rock!!

I can see, "Can Am", written all over it.

Sure its old-school, BUT it will RUN!

If weight is a problem and you have money, A ZL-1 spec'ed as an L-88 all aluminum one...

pdq67
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

That's a neat looking piece.
LS is the prudent route.
The V10 is the cool factor route.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
Paul Kane

Post by Paul Kane »

Are you firm on the engine being non-forced induction? I have a 1200 HP Twin Turbo World Record Setting Quad 4 that will be listed shortly.

You could detune it with some tiny turbos for your "reliable" 800 HP. Of course your desired torque curve will certainly be there. And like your car, it is made with British (Cosworth) components. And hey, talk about power-to-weight ratio. :)

Or if you'd prefer we have a 32-Valve Olds Aurora Indy Car engine sittign at the back of the shop that will be put up for sale shortly as well.

Either would be very unique.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
We're On The Web; Click Below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

RY45 variants
turbo camino
Expert
Expert

Post by turbo camino »

Mercedes M119.
DON'T PANIC
ptuomov
Guru
Guru

Post by ptuomov »

Wouldn’t you want to get an engine that is dry sumped or semi dry sumped in its original application?

Like Porsche Cayenne engine. Would that fit, either in factory turbo version or the normally aspirated version? The turbo version should get one to a reputable power levels with minor tweaks. But that’s just one dry sumped or semi dry sumped option.
Paradigms often shift without the clutch -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxn-LxwsrnU
https://www.instagram.com/ptuomov/
Put Search Keywords Here
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

Incase you didn't know what an ry45 is....

I'm personally fond of twin screws
How about a pair of Whipples on an aluminum LS?
The torque and throttle response are better in every way.
Bwh998

Post by Bwh998 »

96 kg. 520hp @ 10,000 rpm, naturally aspirated.

https://www.h1v8.com/maxi-v8---specs.html
j-rho

Post by j-rho »

How would the gang here spec out a BBC for 800+hp for a long life, good street manners, and lots of use on the road course (extended time near redline)? Figure it will be hydraulic roller for low maintenance, EFI, aluminum block, dry sump. Anyone built something like this recently? Or can point me to a build like this online? Shafiroff has lots of options on their website, not sure where else to look.

Something like this may not be that special in the drag world, but in road racing, people haven’t been using big blocks since the 70s, would be a cool throwback.

Thanks !
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

much more to RY45 than just drift cars
https://roushyates.com/engines/roush-ya ... ines-ry45/
j-rho

Post by j-rho »

A real RY45 fan here. :D

I looked a little, not much publicized use in the wild. The character of the motor is very much in line with my intended use though.

How does it compare dimensionally to a SBC, particularly length but also weight? Are they all dry sumped or does it have to be added? What is the bolt pattern for the bell housing, Windsor or ? (Will need to adapt my choice to a Porsche G50-sizes transaxle).
rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Post by rebelyell »

In general, RY45 is Ford's response to GM's SB2.2
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

rebelyell wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:28 am In general, RY45 is Ford's response to GM's SB2.2
It's a circle track FR09 NASCAR engine that can handle larger bores. The FR09 was developed in response to the NASCAR Toyota engine and the Chevy R07, the latter of which replaced and is far more developed than a SB2.2.
-Bob