Calvin Elston exhausts?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

David Vizard
Guru
Guru
Calvin Elston exhausts?

Post by David Vizard »

Does anyone know if Calvin Elston is still open. I can't get a reply on his # (704-443-8088)

DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru
Re: Calvin Elston exhausts?

Post by David Vizard »

No news yet???
thanks
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

David Vizard wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:10 pm No news yet???
thanks
DV
David, do you have all of Exhausted's contact information? It's very difficult to find members now, with the search function by thread or member name gone and the members list being only alphabetical for the first letter, but here's a thread he posted on, so you can see it all and/or PM him: viewtopic.php?t=22988
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

His email, was good 6 yrs ago but now I don't know. cwelston@gmail.com

http://www.exhausting101.com/ His blog.
Jim
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

He posted here as recently as last month... search.php?author_id=5769&sr=posts
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

FYI he posted on FB yesterday so he is still out there somewhere, last I talked to him I got the idea that he was primarily doing what he wanted for those who were interested in performance gains but had pulled back from the mass produced what something for nothing world.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Joe-71
Pro
Pro

Post by Joe-71 »

Something for nothing world? Quoted me $3500.00 before he even knew what I wanted. Then said I would have to bring car to NC and leave it. Joe-71
Joe-71
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

Joe-71 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:54 am Something for nothing world? Quoted me $3500.00 before he even knew what I wanted. Then said I would have to bring car to NC and leave it. Joe-71
Sounds like he doesn't want the work.
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

Joe-71 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:54 am Something for nothing world? Quoted me $3500.00 before he even knew what I wanted. Then said I would have to bring car to NC and leave it. Joe-71
If he is using 0.035 that is a bargain.
look at the prices for bends on SPD.com
like 50$ per bend. Do you have any idea what collectors cost? 150-300$
material could easily be 1500$

anything less than perfect mandrel bends with 0.035" causes gaps at butted sections.
Tig welding costs $$, power, shield gas, TIME
he would probably make 1500$ for a solid week of work.

do you want him to remote view your chassis and engine? it has to be done in person.......
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

Anybody know how old he is? Maybe he's in retirement.
Jim
CGT
Guru
Guru

Post by CGT »

77cruiser wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:14 pm Anybody know how old he is? Maybe he's in retirement.
I would guess by his appearance that he is mid 60's....I could be wrong.
Chris_Hamilton
Pro
Pro

Post by Chris_Hamilton »

englertracing wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:32 pm
If he is using 0.035 that is a bargain.
look at the prices for bends on SPD.com
like 50$ per bend. Do you have any idea what collectors cost? 150-300$
material could easily be 1500$

anything less than perfect mandrel bends with 0.035" causes gaps at butted sections.
Tig welding costs $$, power, shield gas, TIME
he would probably make 1500$ for a solid week of work.

do you want him to remote view your chassis and engine? it has to be done in person.......
Good work aint cheap and cheap work aint good. I'm in the auto body/restoration side of things and I hear this all the time. Folks want really high quality work and think you should do it for a pittance. Or my favorite, "give me a discount I'll be sure to get your name out there." I made that mistake several times when I was starting out and not only did it bite me hard in the ass I never once got another job from any of those folks or from a referral by them.

Only time and materials for me now. Restorations are impossible to estimate. Someone doesn't like that I say thanks for stopping by, I'm sure that you can find someone to do your vehicle. Old guy once told me I'd be much better off sweeping the shop floor rather than putting a thousand hours in a job and end up making $10 an hour or less. (I've made that mistake too btw)

I don't think it's outrageous for someone to want to make $1000-$1500 a week for a skill and level of quality that not too many folks can or care to provide. That's true for myself and folks like Mr. Elston and other Pro's on here.
High quality metal, body and paint work
http://www.spiuserforum.com/index.php?t ... inia.9030/
tenxal
Expert
Expert

Post by tenxal »

The workmanship, quality and potential gains of headers like Calvin makes aren't for everyone's program.

And that's ok.

For those willing to invest and explore the potential gains, they are money well spent.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Calvin charges 2/3 what his competitors charge, if not closer to 50%. His price would be for a full system on a V8 if that’s what you told him you have. Go see what someone like Goodfabs would charge you for a full system and let me know how that goes, and you better have everything sized out on top of that.

He is semi-retired and only wants to work on applications with builders are are willing and know how to get that extra mile.

This isn’t “Joe Jamoke” headers...

Also, he builds systems from scratch. Of course he, and anyone else would need your car to do that.
-Bob
bob460
Expert
Expert

Post by bob460 »

dfarr67 wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:17 am
Sounds like he doesn't want the work.
His work is super impressive..........and if your chasing every last hp his the man.

Quality headers are not cheap, if you want cheap buy off the shelf,