Carb selection question

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Powertrip
Pro
Pro

Re: Carb selection question

Post by Powertrip »

BradH wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:23 pm So, you guys are saying that I can grind the "Trick Flow" logo off my intake and everyone will think my engine is stock? :lol:
Not with it sticking out a foot above the hood! :lol:
The price of progress is trouble.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Powertrip wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:41 pm
BradH wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:23 pm So, you guys are saying that I can grind the "Trick Flow" logo off my intake and everyone will think my engine is stock? :lol:
Ah, come on now, "Its Stock" ! 🤞
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:59 pm You have tune the idle circuit richer and the primary jet richer when running a cold manifold... Fuel vapourization requires HEAT INPUT.. You get BETTER vapourization around town with a little added plenum heat.
Thats why every OEM uses intake plenum heat.
The exhaust is cleaner. The plugs last longer. You get better fuel mileage. And don't stink up the air with unburned hydrocarbons. The engine will last longer too.
The OEMS know about street tuning better than you do.
Try it.
Don't most of the OE's use plastic intake manifolds now? Wouldn't exhaust crossover heat melt them?
oscaracme
HotPass
HotPass

Post by oscaracme »

cgarb wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:25 pm
F-BIRD'88 wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:59 pm You have tune the idle circuit richer and the primary jet richer when running a cold manifold... Fuel vapourization requires HEAT INPUT.. You get BETTER vapourization around town with a little added plenum heat.
Thats why every OEM uses intake plenum heat.
The exhaust is cleaner. The plugs last longer. You get better fuel mileage. And don't stink up the air with unburned hydrocarbons. The engine will last longer too.
The OEMS know about street tuning better than you do.
Try it.
Don't most of the OE's use plastic intake manifolds now? Wouldn't exhaust crossover heat melt them?
Oops! kinda pee'd on that theory.
last time I touched my tunnel ram after running the engine for 10-15 minutes or so, it was quite warm. Granted it wasn't outside in a -40f Canadian snowstorm.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

You got a picture of these OEM carburetor intake manifolds that are made of plastic? Got and pictures of you laying on the hood fingering your tunnel ram as the car drives down the street? I'd pay to see that ha ha.
oscaracme
HotPass
HotPass

Post by oscaracme »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:34 am You got a picture of these OEM carburetor intake manifolds that are made of plastic? Got and pictures of you laying on the hood fingering your tunnel ram as the car drives down the street? I'd pay to see that ha ha.
I see from your comments with your apparent limited , real world experience, a keyboard is about all your fingers have touched....another internet copy and paster with a French Canadian attitude.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

oscaracme wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:09 pm
F-BIRD'88 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:34 am You got a picture of these OEM carburetor intake manifolds that are made of plastic? Got and pictures of you laying on the hood fingering your tunnel ram as the car drives down the street? I'd pay to see that ha ha.
I see from your comments with your apparent limited , real world experience, a keyboard is about all your fingers have touched....another internet copy and paster with a French Canadian attitude.
I have been playing with this stuff since 1968, Including cold vs heated plenums single planes , dual planes (cold and heated plenum and a few tunnel rams too.
All like heated plenum better than a cold plenum for most all of street driving . Big block 454 in a blazer with a tunnel ram winter and summer ha ha It ran good...
I am not french Canadian. Buzz off

My current 406 sbc has a cold plenum air gap dual plane intake.. Runs good.. I custom built and custom tuned my 750 HP DP for it.. took a bit of dialing in the idle circuit to get it right .. Most of the hard lessons were learned way before the internet...
On ALL the single planes with heated plenum full open ex heat at the gasket was always just too much.. But fully blocking off the ex heat flow was not enough heat .. The best for that overall is to block one side and restrict the other side (3/8" +/- hole) or restrict both sides same.

With the cold plenum they ran (with richer jetting) but ran BETTER OVERALL with some heat at least even in the summer. When you go full wide open throttle the plenum temp drops fast.. I measured all this and tried all this on many many cars over the years. Way before the internet.
Fixed a lot of other peoples cars with drivability issues from both a too cold plenum AND a plenum that is just getting too hot. Thats why they call it "tuning".

Where I am, Buffalo NY usually gets it worse than us.

Note: on another vortec motor I had the Eddy Perfomer RPM vortec with the plenum heat track under the plenum.. I plumbed in hot water .. I was BETTER than running it cold/ blocked off. ..

On any tunnel ram that is street driven a lot adding a heated spacer insert at the plenum-runners joint and at the carbs flange to add a controled amount of heat will greatly help overall street drivability.. Requires no intake manifold modification.
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:25 pm
Powertrip wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:41 pm
It all fits under my "stock" T/A replica hood, too. :twisted:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Powertrip
Pro
Pro

Post by Powertrip »

BradH wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:21 pm
F-BIRD'88 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:25 pm
Powertrip wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:41 pm Not with it sticking out a foot above the hood! :lol:
It all fits under my "stock" T/A replica hood, too. :twisted:
OK,OK it's stock! =D>
Powertrip
Pro
Pro

Post by Powertrip »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:58 pm
Good point.. For street driving with a tunnel ram it wood be great if the plenum was heated to aid fuel vapourization.
(electric, hot water, hot exhaust heat duct) Current cast tunnel rams are made for racing but adding retro fitting for (controlled) manifold plenum heat will really work great on any street use tunnel ram induction car. Only needs creative engineering and some plumbing too employ that on your tunnel ram.. There are a few ways to skin that cat.
Here is what Chrysler did on the ram manifolds of the day to heat the carb plenums.
https://www.macsmotorcitygarage.com/wp- ... 36x300.jpg
Topical story: My Dad had that exact set up back in the day, would even drive it to work in Chicago winters.He claims that his car would start first crank even after sitting overnight in sub-zero temps, when half the cars in the parking lot at work wouldn't even start!
You wouldn't think those frozen Long Ram manifolds would allow any fuel to reach the combustion chamber!
DeezNutz

Post by DeezNutz »

So how much hp is the heated intake costing you?

I have been around stock and super stock for a long time and I can tell you with certainty that icing the intake will make the et drop...

May not be as throttle responsive but at wot cold intakes make more hp.