Welded Camshafts for regrinding

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

donforeman

Re: Welded Camshafts for regrinding

Post by donforeman »

Bob Hollinshead wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:11 am I have two of them cars in my junkyard if you need any parts, they are rusty but low mileage
Thank you for the offer Bob, very kind. I have a lot of oem parts. Old 70s Japan parts sell fairly well online if you would like to get money out of your two. I purchased a parts car recently for $50 here in Oregon and have sold over $2200 online from it plus I got a few parts for myself and a friend. A lot of the parts go to Europe or Australia. Hit sell world wide through the ebay global shipping program (you ship to Kentucky, they handle it from there). There were differences north america to the rest of the world, but not a lot. Mostly I am looking for specialty speed parts, but they are getting harder and harder to find so I have had manufacturing runs done. Fast Forward did 56 of these recently for me. So there is still a tiny market. S&S headers did a run before they went out too. Still trying to get a solution for the cam problem. I may just have to settle for a welded cam as originally thought.

Chris_Hamilton
Pro
Pro

Post by Chris_Hamilton »

donforeman wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:16 pm
Bob Hollinshead wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:11 am I have two of them cars in my junkyard if you need any parts, they are rusty but low mileage
Thank you for the offer Bob, very kind. I have a lot of oem parts. Old 70s Japan parts sell fairly well online if you would like to get money out of your two. I purchased a parts car recently for $50 here in Oregon and have sold over $2200 online from it plus I got a few parts for myself and a friend. A lot of the parts go to Europe or Australia. Hit sell world wide through the ebay global shipping program (you ship to Kentucky, they handle it from there). There were differences north america to the rest of the world, but not a lot. Mostly I am looking for specialty speed parts, but they are getting harder and harder to find so I have had manufacturing runs done. Fast Forward did 56 of these recently for me. So there is still a tiny market. S&S headers did a run before they went out too. Still trying to get a solution for the cam problem. I may just have to settle for a welded cam as originally thought.

Have you checked with the guy at jdm-car-parts.com about any sources in Japan? If there are any he would know. He does a lot with vintage Subarus, Hondas and Nissans. He's also Japanese and probably because of the language barrier has some contacts there others may not know about. Worth a try.
High quality metal, body and paint work
http://www.spiuserforum.com/index.php?t ... inia.9030/
donforeman

Post by donforeman »

Thanks, I have a lot of contacts in Japan already but I can try that one. Unfortunately USA and Europe are where most of the Japanese speed parts for the early Civic went. Just the opposite of what you would expect. I have sourced a lot of Mugen speed parts here for people with 70s Civics in Japan, they always call me for parts hunting. The supply here for 70s Civic speed parts is even drying up and prices are getting crazy on some of the more rare stuff. A lot is overpriced now. Also technology has marched on since the 70s by a lot. I sold a lot of the 70's Mugen parts out of my stash to collectors just because I could have better stuff built for much less here in the USA. I don't have all the answers so I do appreciate the tips and advice. Will figure out the cam situation soon.
donforeman

Post by donforeman »

Chris_Hamilton wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:40 pm Have you checked with the guy at jdm-car-parts.com about any sources in Japan? If there are any he would know. He does a lot with vintage Subarus, Hondas and Nissans. He's also Japanese and probably because of the language barrier has some contacts there others may not know about. Worth a try.
I did contact the jdm-car-parts.com a few hours ago and at least their response was fast. No, they do not. Its fine, I had no real hopes for that site anyway, too comercial. The best results so far is dealing with real manufactures to make something in a limited run or digging through old parts stashes of people who use to race the things 30 years ago.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

donforeman wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:43 am Seems that the gears could possibly be transferred to a new semi finished blank if needed.
That would be the thing to do.
Pull gears off all the old stock cams you can find. Have tool steel cam cores made, and press the gears onto them.
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
Bob Hollinshead
Guru
Guru

Post by Bob Hollinshead »

donforeman wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:16 pm

Thanks for the info Don, I might have to make some time to part these cars out.
Pro question poster.
donforeman

Post by donforeman »

Bob Hollinshead wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:11 am Thanks for the info Don, I might have to make some time to part these cars out.

Here is a small list of average prices. The little black rubber pads on the bumpers are $100 for a set of four if no major defects or scrapes. Sold all to Australia, they did not get them and for some reason they like them. The some CVCC had a deluxe interior that stuff sells fast if its working, Wood steering wheels that are in decent restorable shape, $200-250, the same car should have a console and deluxe gauges with a tach, $300-$400 for that stuff. It doesn't take long. If it has an overhead console, very desirable. The standard interior stuff just sits unless it's really nice. Tape or am/fm radio sell if they work and fit the factory radio hole. Am radio is still worth something if working. If not pull the knobs and sell them, they break the little tabs off inside the knob. Bumpers if they are straight and shiny, a few hundred a piece. If not then scrap metal. All mine that were good went to Canada. Things like rust buble free door handles are $50 - $75 each. Drivers side regulators in good shape $75. Aluminum 4x120 13" mags $300/$400 plus shipping, if 12" then take what you can get. A/C parts are hard to find and sell well in pieces. I sold the bolt that holds the spare tire in the well for $28 plus shipping a few weeks ago. No where near the parts prices for Datsun and Toyota vintage parts, but they are slowly climbing. Most 70s parts from Honda are obsolete so if someone needs a part its most likely used or nothing. A lot more than scrap prices, like they use to go for. Honda part numbers can be found online at places like bernardi honda. It helps it sell and gives the person buying it a chance to figure out if its right for them.