Post by Freddie »

Tall deck BBC, mild cam, street engine
what brand would you recommend
jred
Expert
Expert

Re: Rocker studs BBC

Post by jred »

just use ARP a little more money but a lot nicer product its not that much more,,
bigmike

Post by bigmike »

ARP is the best.

Many of the china made rocker studs have a fair amount of runout in them. They will drive you crazy when trying to set up the valve train correctly.
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

Manley in there now.

Had one snap.

so next question, how the hell do I remove it. With the valve springs and pushrod guides, I cant get a 11/16" spanner on it, and the 2" long stud, I can't get a socket on it.

Do I buy an extra long tube socket or is there a special technique?

BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

Deep socket should take it off. Also need to look at why it broke ? Hard to tell for sure in your picture but it does not look like there was much thread engagement on the polylock. You might need longer studs.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

Same studs that have over 6,000 miles on them, but yeah not many threads only about 3-4 on it
Paul Kane

Post by Paul Kane »

Freddie wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:50 am ...yeah not many threads only about 3-4 on it
The general rule of thumb for rocker arm nut thread engagement is 1-1/2 times the stud diameter. Therefore on a 7/16-20 stud the poly lock should have at least 9 threads engaged at a minimum, not “3-4.”
We're On The Web; Click Below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family
Freddie

Post by Freddie »

just pulled all 8 rockers and studs on that bank. Measured everything. Inspected everything. Answer...the stud that snapped had the rocker arm installed upside down (ie flat bit at bottom and round bit at top) and only 0.2" of thread being used on top of the stud. slightly scored rocker arm and scored bottom of retaining nut. I didn't build it and it was an honest mistake, I'm not at all upset with builder he's done an amazing job. I'm sort of excited as I've never put a head together before, so good way to learn. Glad I don't have to install valves. But actually secretly excited to be doing this now.