Pbm/erson valves any good?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

bthomas
Pbm/erson valves any good?

Post by bthomas »

Changing out my valve springs for my updated setup I’m going for. Noticed a few valves have pretty good wear on the tips.
I’m pretty sure this is from a bad setup by previous owner, but figured I’d ask to make sure these valve don’t have a history as well.

P/n shows to be their stainless back cut competition . Considering replacing with same, but 10% lighter version.
bthomas
Re: Pbm/erson valves any good?

Post by bthomas »

bthomas

Post by bthomas »

piston guy
Guru
Guru

Post by piston guy »

"Most" S/S valves are made in Brazil and rebranded. Like China , quality varies just like the price. looks can be deceiving.
houser45
Pro
Pro

Post by houser45 »

Yes they are a very good valve. I use them on any full out performance hyd roller or solid flat tappet oval track engines. They are every bit as good as a 5000 series ferrea
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

I have used quite a few and have not had any issues. That one valve looks pretty strange. Almost like it was not hardened on the tip ?
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
bthomas

Post by bthomas »

BillK wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:48 pm I have used quite a few and have not had any issues. That one valve looks pretty strange. Almost like it was not hardened on the tip ?
Exactly why Im asking. Didn’t look right, but figured if pushrod length was wrong it could cause scuffing/wear
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

bthomas wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:10 pm
Exactly why Im asking. Didn’t look right, but figured if pushrod length was wrong it could cause scuffing/wear
I would not think it would be like that though. And is it only one ? What did the rocker arm look like ?
Bill Koustenis
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

What part number valves are in it now ?
Bill Koustenis
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
bthomas

Post by bthomas »

2-3 of the intakes are bad like that one, and 2-3 of the exhausts aren’t quite as bad, but starting to wear. Pn are 2107 and 2003. Which is their ev8 race series.

Looking to step up to the ps824 competition for the lighter weight. (Not sure if needed or not though. Especially on exhaust side?)

Went back thru my tear down pics and yes, found an install issue. Here’s blown up pics to show details

mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Running Lash caps may save the bad valves if the added thickness does not change the geometry to badly!
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
6.50camaro
HotPass
HotPass

Post by 6.50camaro »

Is it just me or would anyone else feel uneasy running the lock that close to the valve tip . Dan
cgarb
Guru
Guru

Post by cgarb »

Use the competition series. They are a much better valve than the race valves. I have never had any issues with the Competition valves. I have had probably 4 sets in my engine over the years with solid roller set ups. I run them 2 seasons, freshen the heads and I will grind them once and run them 2 more. After that time I swap them out. Probably throwing good parts away, but I would rather error on the side of safe.
bthomas

Post by bthomas »

cgarb wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:01 pm Use the competition series. They are a much better valve than the race valves. I have never had any issues with the Competition valves. I have had probably 4 sets in my engine over the years with solid roller set ups. I run them 2 seasons, freshen the heads and I will grind them once and run them 2 more. After that time I swap them out. Probably throwing good parts away, but I would rather error on the side of safe.
Yep, ordered up a set for both intake/exhaust this morning along with some -50 locks
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

6.50camaro wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:50 pm Is it just me or would anyone else feel uneasy running the lock that close to the valve tip . Dan
Looks awful close but they might be +50 locks which would move them up like that. I would think that as long as there was some clearance it shouldn't be an issue.
Bill Koustenis
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com