Lowbuck Shop/Race Truck Build

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

trmnatr

Re: Lowbuck Shop/Race Truck Build

Post by trmnatr »

vortecpro wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 7:14 pm Back in the late 90s I had a square body I built for a shop truck, long bed. I had a one piece steel shaft built for it locally, It did have a vibration at hi way speeds. I had another shop build me the same shaft, no vibration at hi way speeds, I feel I owe it to my self to try with the 5 inch OEM aluminum shaft. I do appreciate the advice though.
Mark what rear suspension? Make memories with father/son, Friends dad remembers nothing before his illness
www.autotransdesign.com www.gzmotorsports.com
www.cranecams.com www.prosystemsracing.com
www.hardblok.com
Please say a prayer for all that serve and gave all to serve this Holiday and everyday!
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

I put 4 degrees negative pinion angle in it, took out 2 leafs, clamped the front leafs, now I got something here, hauls ass! Probably would run high 11s down low. Now I'am working on getting lightweight front rims and tires on there, then the drive shaft.
Racing a NA NHRA stocker should be mandatory before any posting.
nxtruck
Pro
Pro

Post by nxtruck »

Cool! Sounds like you’ve got a handle on the pinion angle now. Keep us updated with your progress!
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

Update: Went to the track last night, 8000 DA 24.90 baro, cross wind, went 13.49 with a 1.91 60 foot, I suspect not enough converter (no tach) the 60 should be high 1.70s. But considering I went 14.40 3 weeks ago before the modifications it looks like I'am going in the right direction, I still have the aluminum drive shaft and light weight tires and rims to go. I think when the weather changes with these other modifications I might get that 12 sec pass here in Colorado. The truck as it sits now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

vortecpro wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:12 am Update: Went to the track last night, 8000 DA 24.90 baro, cross wind, went 13.49 with a 1.91 60 foot, I suspect not enough converter (no tach) the 60 should be high 1.70s. But considering I went 14.40 3 weeks ago before the modifications it looks like I'am going in the right direction, I still have the aluminum drive shaft and light weight tires and rims to go. I think when the weather changes with these other modifications I might get that 12 sec pass here in Colorado. The truck as it sits now.
Mid 13's in Denver air! that's pretty good. What is that time at sea level corrected Mark?
nxtruck
Pro
Pro

Post by nxtruck »

vortecpro wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:12 am Update: Went to the track last night, 8000 DA 24.90 baro, cross wind, went 13.49 with a 1.91 60 foot, I suspect not enough converter (no tach) the 60 should be high 1.70s. But considering I went 14.40 3 weeks ago before the modifications it looks like I'am going in the right direction, I still have the aluminum drive shaft and light weight tires and rims to go. I think when the weather changes with these other modifications I might get that 12 sec pass here in Colorado. The truck as it sits now.
Yeah, that sounds good, especially in that air. Good times for the weight and cubic inches involved. I'm assuming it was dead-hooking on those slicks. Yeah, I'm thinking a converter change would definitely help it, too. Might need to loosen the front end up some, also, after a converter swap. I guess it depends on how street-friendly you want to keep it. Thanks for the update!
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

Yes it dead hooks, there is no hit at the tires, just mush. I need to make a TQ strap but can't figure out a way yet, I'am open to suggestions, pictures below. It definitely needs more converter, it flashes then locks and bogs the engine, you have to remember I'am working with under 300 TQ at this altitude. I'am pretty sure when I get the front tires and aluminum drive shaft on there I will see some 12 sec times in Sept. But a 1.91 60 isn't going to cut it with me. P/SA 1986 C-10 stockers run 13.80s @ Denver with a 1.79 60, I'am very deficient at the launch.

1. Front tires and rims change
2. Aluminum shaft
3. Ignition change
4. Fuel system upgrade
5. Real SBC engine build

In that order.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
6.50camaro
HotPass
HotPass

Post by 6.50camaro »

Looks like a real fun build with you son. As far as the torque strap I see you have double hump heads with no access.holes . Is there away with space and headers that you could make a bracket to use 1 or both head bolts between cylinder 1and 3 spark plugs . Or if you have the drilled and tapped pipe plug in that area to drill and tap and back weld a stud into the pipe plug . Just a couple thoughts Dan
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

1980RS wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:46 am
Mid 13's in Denver air! that's pretty good. What is that time at sea level corrected Mark?
nxtruck
Pro
Pro

Post by nxtruck »

vortecpro wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:38 pm Yes it dead hooks, there is no hit at the tires, just mush. I need to make a TQ strap but can't figure out a way yet, I'am open to suggestions, pictures below. It definitely needs more converter, it flashes then locks and bogs the engine, you have to remember I'am working with under 300 TQ at this altitude. I'am pretty sure when I get the front tires and aluminum drive shaft on there I will see some 12 sec times in Sept. But a 1.91 60 isn't going to cut it with me. P/SA 1986 C-10 stockers run 13.80s @ Denver with a 1.79 60, I'am very deficient at the launch.

1. Front tires and rims change
2. Aluminum shaft
3. Ignition change
4. Fuel system upgrade
5. Real SBC engine build

In that order.
Well, for a torque strap, could you make a bracket that uses the front header tube bolt holes and goes up over that tube and then makes a 90* bend toward the frame rail? That would give you an attachment point for some sort of strap, even one of those turnbuckles that the hardware stores sell. I had an alternator bracket at one time that bolted to those two bolt holes and was notched to clear the header tube.
I'll be interested in seeing the changes on your timeslip once you get the tires and driveshaft changed. Definitely some et hiding there. How high does the current converter flash? My apologies if you've already mentioned that.
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

What converter do you have in the Truck now Mark?
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Post by 77cruiser »

I was going to add about the rust if we found one that rusty here in MN we'd call it cherry. :D
Jim
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

IMG_1322.JPG
Looks like were going to find out if we got a high altitude 12 sec shop truck tomorrow......
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

vortecpro wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:27 pm IMG_1322.JPGLooks like were going to find out if we got a high altitude 12 sec shop truck tomorrow......
Hope you get your 12 tomorrow Mark, I am going out also Sat.
vortecpro
Guru
Guru

Post by vortecpro »

Thanks, I look forward to your results!